Fun Mode

ParanoidKami.2867

I remember an old post by the devs saying that they were looking into larger matches than 5v5 so I was wondering if anything was coming. I stopped playing for now as I don't like the thought of getting better only to be given worse teammates to even out the matches. I remember really liking Alliance Battles from GW1, which is 12v12, and would be interested in returning if a larger more fun mode was added. I don't like WvW or Stronghold.

"In addition, we’re currently discussing the feasibility of adding custom arena support/special tournament support for large team (15 v 15?) elimination style matches. This does get a bit more complicated as the current UI breaks with anything more than 10 v 10."

There is no competition because the playerbase is so small and the devs made the matchmaking system around that. In a real competitive environment as you get better you get matched with people who are in the same skill bracket. In GW2 you just get worse teammates to keep it even so it's more about getting a build good for carrying than it is about legitimately getting better. Getting an offensive build that is good at hunting down the lesser skilled players on the opposing team is the best way to rank up. Since they can't make a true competitive environment they should just abandon it and make something that is just pure fun to play.

What they ought to try doing is make it a 9v9 where every team gets one of each class (q times will be longer for FOTM players but they are exploiting OP stuff so they can suck it up) and then goes at it. Eliminates every problem of class stacking, allows class lock, and then every profession is used so everyone has an opportunity to play what they want. Also, it'd just be fun as heck to play 9v9 in pvp.

@Ario.8964 said:What they ought to try doing is make it a 9v9 where every team gets one of each class (q times will be longer for FOTM players but they are exploiting OP stuff so they can suck it up) and then goes at it. Eliminates every problem of class stacking, allows class lock, and then every profession is used so everyone has an opportunity to play what they want. Also, it'd just be fun as heck to play 9v9 in pvp.

Each class already has multiple builds for power, condi, tank, healer, mobility, or whatever else. The reason why one class is defined by a single build is because it's overpowered compared to everything else. The game needs to be better balanced so people can play multiple builds in a class while staying competitively viable. Variety will make the game feel so much better.

You can make pvp 9v9,10v10 & even 20v20 for all it's worth. But it will be as much fun as a 0v0 as long it's sticks to conquest mode. Also builds & traits needs to be revamp, not balance. Cuz balance will never happen under this system. Besides it gets boring to play the same 2 viable builds all the time.

@ParanoidKami.2867 said:

@"Ario.8964" said:What they ought to try doing is make it a 9v9 where every team gets one of each class (q times will be longer for FOTM players but they are exploiting OP stuff so they can suck it up) and then goes at it. Eliminates every problem of class stacking, allows class lock, and then every profession is used so everyone has an opportunity to play what they want. Also, it'd just be fun as heck to play 9v9 in pvp.

Each class already has multiple builds for power, condi, tank, healer, mobility, or whatever else. The reason why one class is defined by a single build is because it's overpowered compared to everything else. The game needs to be better balanced so people can play multiple builds in a class while staying competitively viable. Variety will make the game feel so much better.

I'm not talking in terms of build balance when I say "play what they want". I'm referring to classes. People who like to play revenant are often either working harder than everyone else to successful or they are farmed by the insane condi builds in game de to that being a complete hardcounter to the class. A mose like this would still include them in a team without being considered a handicap. That's what I was trying to get at, it'd allow people to play whatever class they wanted without feeling like they are gimping their team by playing something not in the top 5 meta builds.

@Ario.8964 said:

@Ario.8964 said:What they ought to try doing is make it a 9v9 where every team gets one of each class (q times will be longer for FOTM players but they are exploiting OP stuff so they can suck it up) and then goes at it. Eliminates every problem of class stacking, allows class lock, and then every profession is used so everyone has an opportunity to play what they want. Also, it'd just be fun as heck to play 9v9 in pvp.

without feeling like they are gimping their team by playing something not in the top 5 meta builds.It is gimping the matches if you don't play one of the metas. All the pros & high tier players plays the metas. #themathiswrong #revampgw2

@Vieux P.1238 said:

without feeling like they are gimping their team by playing something not in the top 5 meta builds.It is gimping the matches if you don't play one of the metas. All the pros & high tier players plays the metas. #themathiswrong #revampgw2

Exactly, you are very limited in what you can play. What I'm saying is in a 9v9 where only one of every class was allowed if you wanted to play something like revenant or ele you could and you wouldn't technically be gimping your team because you'd need 1 of every class to create a team.

The the 3 Factions "PvP" modes were very heavily PvE influenced. They all have similarities to how WvW can run some days where the zergs largely ignore each other. Sure there is conflict, but it's a lot of "competitive PvE".

Edit: For a long time -- dunno if this ever change -- people were running suicide bomber builds where you just ran into enemy guards and bombed everything including yourself to death. Not exactly "PvP". And then there was the edge of extinction fiasco where you killed ALL humans in range, friends and foes alike.

@Ario.8964 said:

Exactly, you are very limited in what you can play. What I'm saying is in a 9v9 where only one of every class was allowed if you wanted to play something like revenant or ele you could and you wouldn't technically be gimping your team because you'd need 1 of every class to create a team.

I can tell you what would happen in a 9v9 that is not already happening in a 5v5. First of all, the limitations you are proposing will never happen becuz of low population & players always wanting to play the meta. So there for what you will see in a 9v9 is exaclty the same in a 5v5 where you have 6 scourge 3 each side and a FB and what ever else. But instead even worst in a 9v9 cuz you could get like a 6 scourge on each side plus what ever to fill it up. Listen, the game is broken & can not be fixed or balanced. There's not anoth population for class diversity & even so most plays the meta. PVP Needs a full revamp. I'm not talking about the combat system or it's animation. I'm talking about the stats the traits & all the math that makes up a character in pvp. At what end do you think i'm saying this? tell me?

@Vieux P.1238 said:

I can tell you what would happen in a 9v9 that is not already happening in a 5v5. First of all, the limitations you are proposing will never happen becuz of low population & players always wanting to play the meta. So there for what you will see in a 9v9 is exaclty the same in a 5v5 where you have 6 scourge 3 each side and a FB and what ever else. But instead even worst in a 9v9 cuz you could get like a 6 scourge on each side plus what ever to fill it up. Listen, the game is broken & can not be fixed or balanced. There's not anoth population for class diversity & even so most plays the meta. PVP Needs a full revamp. I'm not talking about the combat system or it's animation. I'm talking about the stats the traits & all the math that makes up a character in pvp. At what end do you think i'm saying this? tell me?

for a 9v9 you lock it to 1 of each class for team. You obviously either didn't read my post fully or didn't understand it because I explicitly stated a 9v9 would require a class lock of 1 per team. Hence, no 6 scourge

I'm not at all debating the fact that pvp is balanced poorly and needs some serious revamping. HOWEVER, this doesn't change the fact that other modes can help to make the game more enjoyable. Especially with proper restrictions put in place to prevent the abuse of specs already broken.

Also there's a huge flaw in what you have said, you claim people will only want to play meta. Here's the thing though, people play meta right now because stacking it gives easier wins. If you can't stack meta classes you remove the incentive for people to try and play meta for the purpose of stacking it. Now people playing a mode with those restrictions on it will be able to choose what they want to play without fear of "Oh my comp won't be good like theirs because they'll have more necros". Every team will have 1 of every class, after that it comes down to builds and skill. THAT is how you make a 9v9 mode

@Ario.8964 said:

for a 9v9 you lock it to 1 of each class for team. You obviously either didn't read my post fully or didn't understand it because I explicitly stated a 9v9 would require a class lock of 1 per team. Hence, no 6 scourge

I'm not at all debating the fact that pvp is balanced poorly and needs some serious revamping. HOWEVER, this doesn't change the fact that other modes can help to make the game more enjoyable. Especially with proper restrictions put in place to prevent the abuse of specs already broken.

Also there's a huge flaw in what you have said, you claim people will only want to play meta. Here's the thing though, people play meta right now because stacking it gives easier wins. If you can't stack meta classes you remove the incentive for people to try and play meta for the purpose of stacking it. Now people playing a mode with those restrictions on it will be able to choose what they want to play without fear of "Oh my comp won't be good like theirs because they'll have more necros". Every team will have 1 of every class, after that it comes down to builds and skill. THAT is how you make a 9v9 mode

I did read your post & i did mentioned that becuz of low population it will be rare you'l have teams of equal skill's when matchmaking & equal class diversity. Guess you din't read my post

I agree with some sentiments already expressed: they need to do away with "conquest only" maps. It makes for boring gameplay and class balance. If you queued and randomly got any one of many different game modes, it would make class balance much more interesting, as some classes would excel in some modes and suffer in others (of course character swapping after the match pops needs to be removed). A slow-moving, aoe bunker class will do great in conquest (scourge!) but terribly in a fast-moving game mode like death ball or capture the flag. All of sudden, the game is fun and interesting!

@"pah.4931" said:I agree with some sentiments already expressed: they need to do away with "conquest only" maps. It makes for boring gameplay and class balance. If you queued and randomly got any one of many different game modes, it would make class balance much more interesting, as some classes would excel in some modes and suffer in others (of course character swapping after the match pops needs to be removed). A slow-moving, aoe bunker class will do great in conquest (scourge!) but terribly in a fast-moving game mode like death ball or capture the flag. All of sudden, the game is fun and interesting!

I've suggested multiple times bringing in a mode like GW1's Fort aspenwood or jade quarry. A good amount of people would love to see those kind of modes come back in but anet seems adamant about not adding new modes at this time.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

I did read your post & i did mentioned that becuz of low population it will be rare you'l have teams of equal skill's when matchmaking & equal class diversity. Guess you din't read my post

You very quickly mentioned it but the point of that was taken away by your irrelevant "point" about stacking scourge and fb. If that was the focus of your post then it should've been emphasized more.

But picking apart your post does nothing for our discussion so I'll simply say yes I agree the population is low right now. The whole point of the ideas people propose is to get people interested again and get old players to come back so the population grows. Shutting down ideas because "population is too low" does nothing to help the discussion. I can guarantee is more modes were added that reduced the headache of dealing with scourge and fb there would be an instant increase in the population because people could come back and not have their game ruined by a class as faceroll as scourge.

Archived