Total noob

EpicName.4523

Hi,

I installed this game a few days ago to try it. After watching tons of videos to get familiar with it, I finally purchased both expansions.

I have A LOT of questions because no matter how much I look there are many different opinions - pre PoF, after it, once some balance change kicks in and so on.

First of all I like to PvP. Won't be participating though, before I get a character to 80 the old fashioned way and learn how it all works. Don't want to become a deadweight.

I was looking for a class which will be easy to learn and will allow me to play most aspects of the game so I can experience everything I may like. Overall, what class would you recommend right now which can be decent in all/most areas of the game?

I heard that warriors are good at soloing PvE, Spellbreaker spec is good in PvP and Berserker in raids. Is that true? I also read somewhere that Spellbreaker was nerfed. Is it still good now?

Is it true that warrior's primary role in raids is to stand in the back with a bow to appply debuffs(conditions)? Does not sound not very warrior-i to me.

And Spellbreaker...am I forced to play with daggers/dagger+shield to get the most out of it? Obviously you can switch weapons, but there is a good way to play something and optimal way to do it.

Also, a giant hulking warrior wielding a small dagger looks bad to me. Daggers are for thieves and the like. This also makes me wonder if it is better to roll a male or female? A female with a dagger seems more appropriate while a male armed with a toothhpick is ridiculous. Heavy armor on males just look better, though, yes? Many females get bikini armors and I can't take them seriously, honestly.

How do you name your characters? Do you use two names or just one? I like to have a single name, but regardless of how many I try I am always forced to pick a second one or swirch/add letters because the original is "in use".

Do you use names that are not real names? For example, I had a mage in WoW called Manabreak, because mages constantly needed to drink. Kinda funny to put your name in the party chat when you need a rest.

If you want my honest answer and opinion, you are thinking far too far ahead. Classes can be adapted to play to a variety of different playstyles. I main a spellbreaker, but I certainly don't use daggers. In fact what I use is far from the masses might claim to be optimum, but he is adapted to my way of playing and has easily withstood everything thrown at him so far across multiple game modes.

The game doesn't really conform to the tropes that D&D laid down, so the use of weapons is more akin to a tool than to a specific way of fighting. SB's using daggers makes sense when you understand how it fights and uses those. Pick a class you like the sound of and level it the old fashioned way, learning en route with the variety of weapons and traits on offer as you go. You will soon discover what works for you and then you can adapt as you see fit. The idea behind GW2 is not to be stuck behind a single way of playing, but to adjust and adapt as you are able. Whilst it doesn't always provide the tools to do so (no build templates for eg), the classes are flexible enough to cover different roles. Play what you find fun, worry about raids and roles when the time comes.

As for names, there is nor rhyme or rule to follow. I draw on various sources to make a name incl surname. Some keep the same first name and adjust the surname to fit the class they are playing and other just use any random assortment of letters and words. The combinations are infinite so use your imagination

Just to chime in...

Daggers don't look like toothpicks... male warriors are the same size as male thiefs etc.

I think you can get heavier/realistic looking armor. I'm not sure, I play asura mostly which usually get male armor regardless of gender.

You can also play unranked pvp, which is not an uncommon mode chosen to learn a class.

You have to be very creative at this stage of the game with name picking. I've still managed to use single names but it takes creativity and trial and error.

@"EpicName.4523" said:How do you name your characters? Do you use two names or just one? I like to have a single name, but regardless of how many I try I am always forced to pick a second one or swirch/add letters because the original is "in use".

Were you interested in finding names that fit the canon of the game? Humans, Norn and Charr usually have two names. Humans are fairly normal human (mostly European/Anglo-type) names with a medieval flavor. Charr usually have names where the first name can be anything that sounds tough, and the last name is usually a combination of words, one of which is supposedly related to their warband. (Steelclaw, Firebreath, Ironfang, etc.) Norn have names that sound Nordic (like Hrothgar Ulfgrimmson, or Thor Hammerskjold or whatever.) Sylvari usually have a one-word name, usually either something that sounds Celtic, or nature-inspired. Asura have one-word names that are, um, non-traditional and usually have one or two syllables. Like Bixx, Grrb, Fubnoz. If you have trouble coming up with one-word names, you might consider the use of titles. Asura could be Jozz the Genius, Krewe Leader Glarx, Researcher Habbi, etc. The only sylvari I've noticed with a title is Laranthir of the Wild, but that seems like a good enough template for coming up with other ideas.

I can't comment on builds or PvP, but in answer to the bits I do know about:

There are some pretty big daggers in this game. I think the longest are almost the same as the shortest swords. And as you might be aware the transmutation system means you can put any appearance (skin) onto any item of the same type, so you're not restricted to the ones you can get with good stats. Here's a page that shows all of the available dagger skins, with links to their individual pages to find out how to get them: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_daggers (You can also preview them in-game using the wardrobe to see how they'd look on your character.)

There's also a lot of variety in armour. Chainmail bikini is certainly an option, but so is total coverage. For example these are all human females in heavy armour:iBKu8r9.jpg

You can see a full gallery here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_heavy_armor

Alternatively play an asura or charr - most of their armour is unisex.

As for names I think the only rules are that it can't be offensive and technically can't be something that's copyrighted, but I don't think that's strictly enforced. Beyond that it's up to you. Admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to find a name that's not taken, because in GW2 names are game-wide. If anyone, on any server, uses a name then it's taken for everyone. But you can use spaces to add second (or even third) names, or some people just do something like I Legolas I.

I tend to go for lore appropriate names, which varies for each race:

• Asura have a short 1-word name, often with repeat letters and for females it ends with a vowel.
  • Charr have a 1-word first name, which can be pretty much anything, and then a warband name made up of 2 words - Darkblade, Brimstone, Geargrind etc. (Your warband name will never be mentioned, so you can make it anything you want.)
  • Humans have a first name, which can be pretty much anything, and a family name which they inherit from their parents. (2 of the human story lines involve your characters family members, but a last name is never mentioned so you can make it anything you like.)
  • Norn have a first name (often Norse or Scandinavian sounding) and either their parents name followed by 'son' or 'dottir' (e.g. Jhavi Jorasdottir) or a title related to something they're known for like Adnul Irongut.
  • Sylvari don't have family names (because they don't have families), which some people take to mean they have 1 word names, but I don't think that's an actual rule, so they could have a 2 or 3 word name. A lot of their names are celtic or gaelic, or at least sound like they could be.

Another option is to add a title. Either a job title, if you know what kind of things your character is likely to do (e.g. if you know they're going to join the Order of Whispers you could call them Agent Whatever or Lightbringer Whatever) or a descriptive title/nickname, like Harry the Wolf or Crazy Alan.

Other people will go for silly or out-of-character descriptive names. I've seen a thief called Pls Dont See Me, an asura called Carrymeimsmall and a guy called Colin When Its Rdy (which is a reference to a former Anet employee).

Warrior's good for general purpose across game modes. Ranger also has some potential there, since you have both expansions and therefore access to the elite specs...those play quite differently from the core ranger and each other, though, so if you're looking for something that doesn't have to change much across game modes and has similar play across elites, you're probably better off sticking with warrior.

There are dagger skins that look like swords, and sword skins that look like greatswords, and greatswords that look like surfboards or drywall panels. You'll be able to find something that appeals for not terribly expensive as you play, or off the trading post after you've made a little gold. Check the wardrobe tab at a bank to preview skins you don't already have unlocked.

All three armor weights have at least some female armor that isn't a sparkly bikini, though your options there will be more limited than that for male toons. Most of my female toons are wearing armor with good coverage, and they're not all wearing the same thing. You might have to be more goal-oriented than relying on drops, but again, check the wardrobe tab at a bank to preview skins you don't already have unlocked, so you can decide what to work toward.

I generally try to fit my character names into the naming patterns established for their race. So, generally, my humans have two names, my asura have one name, my sylvari have Welsh names, my norn have Norse names, and my Charr have a Greek given name with an occupational+warband compound byname. Some of my character names also have double-meanings as little amusements, and there are plenty of people who use non-name words for their character names, so if you use joke names, you won't be that out of place. There are plenty of single-name options still available, if you aren't trying for some specific fandom name.

Re PvP, the game will match you with others of your skill level. Everyone starts at "average" but you'll quickly move up or down. The first few matches you play will move you dramatically up or down in skill level of teammates and competition, but then it will stabilize near where you belong. As you get better you'll win more and gradually move up to better players.

So feel free to play either unranked or even ranked once you feel you have a reasonable understanding of the game. No need to wait till 80 if you really enjoy PvP.

Also long story short, warrior is and has been a staple of every aspect of guild wars since 2003 or whenever the first one came out. It's a solid choice for a first main.

Don't worry about being a dead weight in PvP. First, there is always unranked play. But ranked play will match you based on your performance. If you're losing because you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up losing rating until you're matched with other players of similar ability. Remember that a "perfect" matchmaking system would see the vast majority of players losing slightly more matches than they win in the long run, regardless of rank (that's what we call "hitting your skill ceiling!)!

I also wouldn't worry about choosing a class or weapons based upon classical RPG archetypes. If that's important to you, then by all means do your thing. But being a "hulking warrior with a greatsword" doesn't bear quite the same significance here. You could just as easily be a necromancer, choose the reaper elite spec, and suddenly Raistlin becomes Caramon - a necromancer that wields a greatsword at melee range and has just as much health as a warrior! Or how about you just ditch them both and play a mesmer, where greatsword is a ranged weapons that shoots beams of light?

Welcome to GW2! Have fun exploring your options, and if I can help with anything you just let me know!

First of all. Do not call yourself a noob. Just the fact that you are asking around and checking video's mean you are not. The more correct term for someone like you is newbe. A newbe is someone new who is open minded to learn. A noob is someone who will never learn (and a very negative thing to call someone, even yourself!)

Further, it is ok to want to learn and get up to speed, but give it time. GW2 is a very friendly game. Getting your first character to lvl80 takes time, but after that it gets a lot easier. In PvP you can actually just create a character and be max level with all skills unlocked. So whatever class you play now, means nothing for that. The same goes for Raids to be honest. they are the highest tier of PvE content and require very different builds and gear. I really think that once you get there, you first need to find a friendly team willing to take you and let you try and experience it. Then, if you like to get serieus, you pick a role and create a character for that and take the time to get it to max level and gear it properly. You have two lvl80 boosts to help you, but even if you used both at one point, you get tons of experience scrolls from doing dailies to speed up the leveling process a lot. getting the gear required will take more time then getting that character to max level.The same basically goes for High tier Fractals. (tier 3 and 4). You are going to take time to invest in it and get everything unlocked and ready. levelling a new character will take the least amount of time.

For all other content, it is pretty much ok to play as you like. Although, when going into WvW, dungeons, low level tier fractals, or even open world events, it is great if you deal great dps while standing on your feet. That is also all there is to it. All classes can do it.Switching class is pretty easily and so I would not worry too much of it for now.Welcome to GW2 and enjoy yourself!

@"EpicName.4523" said:Hi,

I was looking for a class which will be easy to learn and will allow me to play most aspects of the game so I can experience everything I may like. Overall, what class would you recommend right now which can be decent in all/most areas of the game?

I heard that warriors are good at soloing PvE, Spellbreaker spec is good in PvP and Berserker in raids. Is that true? I also read somewhere that Spellbreaker was nerfed. Is it still good now?

That is pretty much accurate. It was nerfed but it is still useful in PvP.

Is it true that warrior's primary role in raids is to stand in the back with a bow to appply debuffs(conditions)? Does not sound not very warrior-i to me.

Not really accurate. First of all... Not all Conditions are debuffs. They are also a type of direct damage (bleeding, poison, burn etc). It is just that conditions build up over time while power damage is bursting at the start and fades down after a while. The typical warrior Raid build is condition DPS/support and has sword/torch and Longbow as weapons and you use both sets in the rotation. If you know how to play the class correctly you can be do very good DPS. It is just that the group buffs warrior gives are so important that even that if you afked dropping the banners, it would still be valuable to the group. And there is also a purely DPS build in the meta as well.

And Spellbreaker...am I forced to play with daggers/dagger+shield to get the most out of it? Obviously you can switch weapons, but there is a good way to play something and optimal way to do it.

Actually current meta build for PvP include greatsword/dagger,shield anddaggers/axe, shield

In the end of the day any balance patch has the potential to change a build completely so do not get too attached in your weapons sets.

Also, a giant hulking warrior wielding a small dagger looks bad to me. Daggers are for thieves and the like. This also makes me wonder if it is better to roll a male or female? A female with a dagger seems more appropriate while a male armed with a toothhpick is ridiculous. Heavy armor on males just look better, though, yes? Many females get bikini armors and I can't take them seriously, honestly.

Daggers are certainly not toothpicks in this game. There are armors for all tastes in the game for both male and female. If you want the typical fantasy armors that do not make too much sense you can have them, if you want much more reasonable looking armor you can get those as well. There is enough variety.

How do you name your characters? Do you use two names or just one? I like to have a single name, but regardless of how many I try I am always forced to pick a second one or swirch/add letters because the original is "in use".

I tend to use one name for Silvari and Asura and also surnames for the rest. It feels it is more lore appropriate plus using a surname helps with the "this name is already in use" issue. The game is 5.5 years old so a lot of them are taken.

Do you use names that are not real names? For example, I had a mage in WoW called Manabreak, because mages constantly needed to drink. Kinda funny to put your name in the party chat when you need a rest.

I personally do not but there are many of those names around the place.

I installed this game a few days ago to try it. After watching tons of videos to get familiar with it, I finally purchased both expansions.

I have A LOT of questions because no matter how much I look there are many different opinions - pre PoF, after it, once some balance change kicks in and so on.

First of all I like to PvP. Won't be participating though, before I get a character to 80 the old fashioned way and learn how it all works. Don't want to become a deadweight.

I would recommend just choosing a class depending on your play style. I would say in my opinion, warrior, guardian and ranger are the easiest to master, and the hardest ones to master are mesmers and elementalists.

Also I recommend beating all the stories first and getting full ascended gear before thinking about doing raids. There is so much to do in this game, I would suggest, Story first, than dungeons or fractals and once you get full ascended try joining in on raids :)

@Sombra.3246 said:

I would recommend just choosing a class depending on your play style. I would say in my opinion, warrior, guardian and ranger are the easiest to master, and the hardest ones to master are mesmers and elementalists.

Also I recommend beating all the stories first and getting full ascended gear before thinking about doing raids. There is so much to do in this game, I would suggest, Story first, than dungeons or fractals and once you get full ascended try joining in on raids :)

On the other hand going from exotic to ascended has a much greater impact on your character's wallet than their combat performance.

Archived