[QoL] Batch promotion of lodestones, Forge or Jeweler

Taelac.7036

Having recently crafted the Corrupted weapons set, I'd like to request that one of two things happen:

• Add new mystic forge recipes to make either five or ten of the promotable lodestones at a time, preserving the current proportions of materials
  • Add Jeweler recipes at the appropriate tiers to allow promoting up through Lodestones*, similar to the way Orbs are currently promoted

This would apply to promoting Onyx, Molten, Glacial, Destroyer, Crystal, Corrupted, and Charged cores to lodestones, and could include Essences if those are also crafted in larger quantities or if it would be easier coding-wise to include them as part of the original group of Advanced Crafting Materials. The hand cramps were real, and I would see this addition as a significant QoL improvement, though I do acknowledge the potential impact on the trading post price of lodestones.

With the introduction of ascended accessories that are quite easy to obtain with LS3, Jeweler has lost quite a bit of relevance, so the second option would help restore some usefulness to that crafting discipline. New recipes could incorporate silver and/or gold ore to replace the appropriate level of Dust, giving a new sink for these widely available and underutilized ores, while keeping the Bottle of Elonian wine and the Mystic Crystal to preserve the current gold and spirit shard sink of promoting lodestones. That would leave sorting out whether the impact on Dust prices would be a good or a bad tradeoff versus the impact on ore prices.

With either of these changes, I expect the price of lodestones would likely settle out around where orbs currently are, making them still a reasonably valuable drop, though somewhat less so than they presently are. On the other hand, it might also raise the value of the lower tiers of this group of materials, making those drops in lower level zones more valuable.

*Crafting solution originally suggested by @"Illconceived Was Na.9781"'s in this comment. I think it's the much better idea, and I've added a few thoughts as to potential market impacts, both pro and con.

One of the reasons why it's profitable to promote cores to lodestones (among other recipes) is that the process is tedious. Turn it into a recipe and more people will do use it more often. That's great for people, like the OP, who just want to make corrupted weapons and need a lot of lodes. It's less good for people open bags that contain the occasional lode, as it will lower the value of those containers.

I'm not against the idea; I want to make sure that people understand there will notable consequences besides the improvement in QoL.

And if ANet does it, I hope that they remove it from the forge and make it a crafting recipe instead. The forge is great for occasional use items, special recipes, stat transformations, and a few promotions. The crafting stations are far better tools for bulk recipes. After all, gemstone promotions is already done at the jeweler. So this could actually be a valid reason for creating Jeweler rank 500.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:One of the reasons why it's profitable to promote cores to lodestones (among other recipes) is that the process is tedious. Turn it into a recipe and more people will do use it more often. That's great for people, like the OP, who just want to make corrupted weapons and need a lot of lodes. It's less good for people open bags that contain the occasional lode, as it will lower the value of those containers.

This is true, and why I suggested a batch of five as an alternative to a batch of ten, in case that would be less destabilizing to the market while still reducing the number of clicks.

And if ANet does it, I hope that they remove it from the forge and make it a crafting recipe instead. The forge is great for occasional use items, special recipes, stat transformations, and a few promotions. The crafting stations are far better tools for bulk recipes. After all, gemstone promotions is already done at the jeweler. So this could actually be a valid reason for creating Jeweler rank 500.

This is a vastly better idea, though it would probably take more coding than simply adding a handful of forge recipes. I would gleefully chase the extra hundred levels of jeweler for this, though.

@Taelac.7036 said:This is a vastly better idea, though it would probably take more coding than simply adding a handful of forge recipes. I would gleefully chase the extra hundred levels of jeweler for this, though.

Adding the recipes for promotion is probably the same work in either system. The disadvantage of the forge is the amounts are arbitrary & non-scalable and don't solve the underlying problem. The disadvantage of using Jeweler is that there would be additional work: harder to economically rebalance plus they'd want to remove the old recipes from the forge.

I doubt either will happen: it's a low priority issue that takes a lot of analysis and implementation time (because of the economics mostly). And the biggest problem is that... some people will spend a little more once in a while to buy off the TP instead of taking the time to promote. (And nearly all of those uses are for luxury items.)

Life would be easier if they changed it; I'm just not hopeful because it's a relatively high cost for a relatively small benefit to a relatively small group of players, in a narrow set of situations.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:And please feel free to merge my idea about using crafting into your OP (phrasing to your liking, not mine). Either idea would be good for me, even if I might lose some coin if it happens.

Thank you, I have. Please let me know if you find anything in the updated post objectionable, and I will make further adjustments.

@Taelac.7036 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:And please feel free to merge my idea about using crafting into your OP (phrasing to your liking, not mine). Either idea would be good for me, even if I might lose some coin if it happens.

Thank you, I have. Please let me know if you find anything in the updated post objectionable, and I will make further adjustments.

If you wanted to omit "grandmaster jewelery", that would probably make the suggestion stronger. It's not essential to the idea (and it's more work than just moving the recipes from the forge to the crafting station). The key point is that we promote to orbs via crafting, so why not also use crafting to promote to lodes too?

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:If you wanted to omit "grandmaster jewelery", that would probably make the suggestion stronger. It's not essential to the idea (and it's more work than just moving the recipes from the forge to the crafting station). The key point is that we promote to orbs via crafting, so why not also use crafting to promote to lodes too?

Fair point and edited to reflect. I think that makes the top post a reasonably solid suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.

@Taelac.7036 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:If you wanted to omit "grandmaster jewelery", that would probably make the suggestion stronger. It's not essential to the idea (and it's more work than just moving the recipes from the forge to the crafting station). The key point is that we promote to orbs via crafting, so why not also use crafting to promote to lodes too?

Fair point and edited to reflect. I think that makes the top post a reasonably solid suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for making the suggestion :)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:One of the reasons why it's profitable to promote cores to lodestones (among other recipes) is that the process is tedious. Turn it into a recipe and more people will do use it more often. That's great for people, like the OP, who just want to make corrupted weapons and need a lot of lodes. It's less good for people open bags that contain the occasional lode, as it will lower the value of those containers.

I'm not against the idea; I want to make sure that people understand there will notable consequences besides the improvement in QoL.

Agreed... and its high time Jeweller got its promotion to level 500. This kind of change and addition would serve as a decent solution to suit both issues.

TBH drop rates have increased in regards to lodestones in comparison to what it used to be like to get hold of them but the drop rate in cores seems to have stayed pretty much the same.

With all those nice new jewels and such over the last few expacs, I think its high time jeweller got a little love.

Archived