Suggestion: Increase Guild Limit

X T D.6458

Can we get an increase in the amount of guilds that a player can be a part of? Guilds are a useful tool for organizing players, and there are many different types of content that this could be used for across game modes, also personal guilds. It would be very helpful to have an increase.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@X T D.6458 said:Can we get an increase in the amount of guilds that a player can be a part of? Guilds are a useful tool for organizing players, and there are many different types of content that this could be used for across game modes, also personal guilds. It would be very helpful to have an increase.

I've been requesting this since day 1.(Among other types: WvW guild, instanced content guild, friends, hang-out guild, teaching|training guild, and a slot to have for special situations.)

Others have questioned as to why anyone would need more than one guild.

My guess is it comes down to resources: guilds require ANet to maintain a different type of data architecture than they use for most of the game. It probably isn't as robust in design and it probably isn't as easily scaled up or down as we think. Or in short: it's probably a lot costlier to add guild slots than it sounds.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Can we get an increase in the amount of guilds that a player can be a part of? Guilds are a useful tool for organizing players, and there are many different types of content that this could be used for across game modes, also personal guilds. It would be very helpful to have an increase.

I've been requesting this since day 1.(Among other types: WvW guild, instanced content guild, friends, hang-out guild, teaching|training guild, and a slot to have for special situations.)

Others have questioned as to why anyone would need more than one guild.

My guess is it comes down to resources: guilds require ANet to maintain a different type of data architecture than they use for most of the game. It probably isn't as robust in design and it probably isn't as easily scaled up or down as we think. Or in short: it's probably a lot costlier to add guild slots than it sounds.

It would be extremely helpful especially for WvW players. Many of us have personal storage guilds since before HoT. In wvw many of us might want to be with guilds that play in different timezones, or that have different play styles zerg/havok/roam etc. Not to mention pve/pvp.

Definitely in favor of this, although I would settle for just having access to more guild chats. I wouldn't need all of the perks that come with a guild for personal hangout guilds or small groups of friends. I suspect the map meta event guilds would work just fine with only a chat and members list as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Especially since we'll have to join ANOTHER guild to make sure we can play WvW with the right people - I'll need at least another guild slot for that.

Right now, I can rely on getting placed with people I kinda-sorta know because I'm on the same server as they are. In the future, I'll need to be in the server-community-alliance - and since I probably won't be able to convince any of my (cross-server) guilds to join that, I'll need one more guild which will be in said alliance. And I would rather not leave one of my other guilds for that.

• 1 year later...

Even though this thread is over a year old I got send here by a GM, so lets just say it again. I'm pretty pretty sure that least half of the active players would LOVE to have more than 5 guild slots! Me included. In the beginning 5 slots are more than enough, but the more people you met, the more you specialize yourself in the game, the more slots you need! Give us more guild slots!

A guild is not a party or a squad,having one guild should be enough,but people in gw2 seem to consider guilds not more than personal banks or "squads" to hop from one to another and benefit from them while not providing much or anything at all. I am against more slots or even the system we have now.It's such a shame how guilds are considered glorified friend lists. Instead of asking for more guild slots better ask for a system like linkshells from FF14 ,what you need is a shared chat with people from a group,not another guild where you ignore the guild specific features or the real purpose of a guild.

@"Nury.3062" said:A guild is not a party or a squad,having one guild should be enough,but people in gw2 seem to consider guilds not more than personal banks or "squads" to hop from one to another and benefit from them while not providing much or anything at all. I am against more slots or even the system we have now.It's such a shame how guilds are considered glorified friend lists. Instead of asking for more guild slots better ask for a system like linkshells from FF14 ,what you need is a shared chat with people from a group,not another guild where you ignore the guild specific features or the real purpose of a guild.

Funny, my guilds all have different purposes, hardly anybody in my RP guild does WVW, hardly anybody in my WVW guild does Raids, etc. There really are no benefist to a guild these days, with the exception of some minor buffs around the open world and outside of guild missions, which can only be done once a week. Personally id rather keep it that way, being stuck in a guild in GW1 with a ton of people i hated just so i could do content was toxic. Add to that, out of the 3 "main" guilds ive joined, just in GW2, all of them have had massive splits in their player base due to the guild leader creating drama, childish, obnoxious drama. Why would i want to be forced into having to deal with it?

@OP, you have my vote here.

Selling guild slots would be nice to have. those that dont want them dont need to buy them.

You know, a guild can have up to 500 members, not just a empty guild bank, not just a tiny fraction of members because of one's incapable to manage multiple types of activities in a single guild.I don't think it is anet's responsibility to deal with players who deliberately using guilds for less than its worth.

@"Nury.3062" said:A guild is not a party or a squad,having one guild should be enough,but people in gw2 seem to consider guilds not more than personal banks or "squads" to hop from one to another and benefit from them while not providing much or anything at all. I am against more slots or even the system we have now.It's such a shame how guilds are considered glorified friend lists. Instead of asking for more guild slots better ask for a system like linkshells from FF14 ,what you need is a shared chat with people from a group,not another guild where you ignore the guild specific features or the real purpose of a guild.

I have a real purpose in belonging to multiple guilds, just as I can belong to multiple social groups in RL and multiple organizations. Some of these would be served by additional chat shards (although why it would be worth ANet's time to create a new mechanic, when increasing the number of guild slots accomplishes the goal just fine). And I do use multiple Discord communities for exactly that purpose.

• I raid with different people than I fractal with.
  • I would do g-mish and other activities with different groups still.
  • I WvW with multiple groups, depending on my interests at the time.
  • If there were more slots, I would be signed up as a volunteer for communities that organize training (whether hero points or builds or etc).

You might not have a use for multiple guilds. That doesn't mean that "one guild should be enough" for others.

Just a side note for the people saying we don't "need" more guild slots; we didn't need Shrine Guardian Ears either, but they wound up in the store anyway because people requested and offered to pay for them.

It's entirely possible that guild slots are difficult to add due to the representation, chat, and banking system, but I am more than willing to wait and eventually pay to have more of them.

@Nury.3062 said:It's sad to see what has become of the notion of belonging to a guild...the pride,the friendships,now guilds are things to exploit in one way or another.

You can't have pride and friendship with multiple people? What do you do if your friends have different objectives or might not agree with each other? Do you just cut those friends out? The purpose with multiple guilds is to stay connected with disparate groups, forcing everyone into mega guilds is not an answer either since it just means your are member 431, 237 or 78 versus you being you.

@Nury.3062 said:It's sad to see what has become of the notion of belonging to a guild...the pride,the friendships,now guilds are things to exploit in one way or another.

On the contrary, I think being limited to fewer guilds undermines pride, friendships, and guilds. It's great if you're only interested in finding a single guild and sticking to it. My interests are varied, and there won't be a single guild out there that will cover them all.

@Trise.2865 said:Still don't care one way or the other, especially with the Alliances systems in the works. So... sure, go for it. Good luck.

Alliances actually requires /another/ guild slot. For instance, guild XYZ wvw's but also allows family, friends, etc inside. Alliance is limited in size. Guild xyz only has 55 folks who actively hit wvw together, but a total size of 420. Therefore, to join the alliance they are interested in, they create another guild, QRS, and that guild is ONLY the folks from XYZ who wvw. Or another way I've seen is the alliance itself to create a guild. So the XYZ member who wvw's would join the alliance guild ABC. In both cases, 2 guilds are required, to guarantee you get put into the right whatever-it-will-be-called-instead-of-server.

That still means you need a slot for raids, rp, farming, friends, fractals, training, friends.

Every time I see this thread or suggestion come up I +1 stuff and usually post. Please, please, please, more guild slots. I, too, would pay.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Nury.3062" said:It's sad to see what has become of the notion of belonging to a guild...the pride,the friendships,now guilds are things to exploit in one way or another.

You can't have pride and friendship with multiple people? What do you do if your friends have different objectives or might not agree with each other? Do you just cut those friends out? The purpose with multiple guilds is to stay connected with disparate groups, forcing everyone into mega guilds is not an answer either since it just means your are member 431, 237 or 78 versus you being you.

that is assuming the people using guild in a way you think they would but we don't live in your ideal worldwhat he said is based on acceptance of the reality where guilds in gw2 are more a convenience than a community

for exampleif u ask for 10 slotseach guild has 30 peoplewouldn't that be 300 peopleare you telling me you gonna know all 300 people?are you telling me you live in gw2 for such long hours that you can maintain relationships with 300 people? and likewise these 300 people can do to you?what so different between that and now then?

the word "friendships" shouldn't be abused, please don't make that word sound cheap

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@"Nury.3062" said:It's sad to see what has become of the notion of belonging to a guild...the pride,the friendships,now guilds are things to exploit in one way or another.

that is assuming the people using guild in a way you think they would but we don't live in your ideal worldwhat he said is based on acceptance of the reality where guilds in gw2 are more a convenience than a community

for exampleif u ask for 10 slotseach guild has 30 peoplewouldn't that be 300 peopleare you telling me you gonna know all 300 people?are you telling me you live in gw2 for such long hours that you can maintain relationships with 300 people? and likewise these 300 people can do to you?what so different between that and now then?

the word "friendships" shouldn't be abused, please don't make that word sound cheap

Of course not. I don't IRL either, but I certainly belong to more organizations than 5 IRL. Here are just some.For instance: I proofread for Catalyst games, and therefore we have a little group of us. It's about 25 people or so. There is, for example, a proofing job up right now, but I don't have time. I post that, someone else steps up. I only personally know maybe five of those folks, from meeting them at conventions.

Then we have the D&D folks. I know about 30 of them, give or take. Not all of us play the same schedule, groups change based on campaigns and commitments etc.I'm also in a gen con group that meets every year. I've been attending gen con /forever/ it feels like, and this group has held a pre gencon meetup every year since 2003. I know about 10 of them by sight, I communicate with lots more, and I lovelove the Stink, even though it's gotten too large in recent years.That then diverges from my gaming to my gramma-ness. I am in a sewing group, we exchange patterns for barbie and doll clothes, patterns for real kid clothes, talk about kids, relationships, etc. I only know personally, like, 2 of this group, other than just text messages.Then there is my military connections. I still keep in contact with some of the folks I served with in Desert Storm. They have a group. I know about 15 of them but the group is a few thousand, because we all experienced a lot of the same things, and share similar issues now.I am also in a book group. Share reviews, authors, etc. I only know 1 of those folks, other than texts and messages.I also have a group from college, I know ALL of them, have attended weddings and such, but we don't communicate all that often but still, I would be crushed not to have that.Then of course there are the dieting together/nutrition/workout folks.

How could these such disparate groups possibly be merged in real life? They couldn't.

Now in game.I have the friends and fam guild. Some of these are from the D&D group above. I know all of them, am close to about 3/4. Some are friends of friends, and I know who they 'belong' to but I don't know 'them'.I have a friendly large guild that I only know about 5, but they are nice, helpful, always active, always willing to make up that 5th in a fractal or dungeon.I have a raiding guild, I only really know the team I raid with.I have a wvw guild. I know the folks who wvw at the same time I do, kind of. Some more than others. I don't know most of the randoms here, many are just trying out to see if they are a good fit. Many are from a guild merger.I have an alliance guild. I know the folks who wvw at the same time I do(gosh they are the same folks!)

Guilds I have been invited to join but cannot:a group of folks I played swtor with who migrated to gw2. I am still in their Discord but I would love to be in the guild. I know about 20 of these folks.a farming guild that has folks always calculating best things to do for certain amounts of time. Again, I'm in their Discord, would love to be in the guild. I know maybe 5?a guild that my daughter is in that does random different activities. I accompany them on things, am in their Discord, would love to help with their guild missions since my other guilds are max level, but can't.a raiding guild a step above my casual. I love my casual one, but we never seem to progress. I can feel myself very gradually getting better, and would like to push my limits, but don't want to pug, since I'm self-conscious. I have subbed in with them but they mostly want folks who have passed their requirements, have the api keys etc.Several guilds that have one or two friends in them that I feel bad turning down. Do I NEED these? No. Would I like the freedom to decide for myself? Yes.

@Etria.3642 said:

Of course not. I don't IRL either, but I certainly belong to more organizations than 5 IRL. Here are just some.For instance: I proofread for Catalyst games, and therefore we have a little group of us. It's about 25 people or so. There is, for example, a proofing job up right now, but I don't have time. I post that, someone else steps up. I only personally know maybe five of those folks, from meeting them at conventions.

Then we have the D&D folks. I know about 30 of them, give or take. Not all of us play the same schedule, groups change based on campaigns and commitments etc.I'm also in a gen con group that meets every year. I've been attending gen con /forever/ it feels like, and this group has held a pre gencon meetup every year since 2003. I know about 10 of them by sight, I communicate with lots more, and I lovelove the Stink, even though it's gotten too large in recent years.That then diverges from my gaming to my gramma-ness. I am in a sewing group, we exchange patterns for barbie and doll clothes, patterns for real kid clothes, talk about kids, relationships, etc. I only know personally, like, 2 of this group, other than just text messages.Then there is my military connections. I still keep in contact with some of the folks I served with in Desert Storm. They have a group. I know about 15 of them but the group is a few thousand, because we all experienced a lot of the same things, and share similar issues now.I am also in a book group. Share reviews, authors, etc. I only know 1 of those folks, other than texts and messages.I also have a group from college, I know ALL of them, have attended weddings and such, but we don't communicate all that often but still, I would be crushed not to have that.Then of course there are the dieting together/nutrition/workout folks.

How could these such disparate groups possibly be merged in real life? They couldn't.

Now in game.I have the friends and fam guild. Some of these are from the D&D group above. I know all of them, am close to about 3/4. Some are friends of friends, and I know who they 'belong' to but I don't know 'them'.I have a friendly large guild that I only know about 5, but they are nice, helpful, always active, always willing to make up that 5th in a fractal or dungeon.I have a raiding guild, I only really know the team I raid with.I have a wvw guild. I know the folks who wvw at the same time I do, kind of. Some more than others. I don't know most of the randoms here, many are just trying out to see if they are a good fit. Many are from a guild merger.I have an alliance guild. I know the folks who wvw at the same time I do(gosh they are the same folks!)

Guilds I have been invited to join but cannot:a group of folks I played swtor with who migrated to gw2. I am still in their Discord but I would love to be in the guild. I know about 20 of these folks.a farming guild that has folks always calculating best things to do for certain amounts of time. Again, I'm in their Discord, would love to be in the guild. I know maybe 5?a guild that my daughter is in that does random different activities. I accompany them on things, am in their Discord, would love to help with their guild missions since my other guilds are max level, but can't.a raiding guild a step above my casual. I love my casual one, but we never seem to progress. I can feel myself very gradually getting better, and would like to push my limits, but don't want to pug, since I'm self-conscious. I have subbed in with them but they mostly want folks who have passed their requirements, have the api keys etc.Several guilds that have one or two friends in them that I feel bad turning down. Do I NEED these? No. Would I like the freedom to decide for myself? Yes.

it seems like you simply have a lot of small social grps scattered aroundhowever, that still isn't the problem here either but it will be a problem if you try to tackle all the social grpsafterall, even irl, one is impossible to be present at every social grp and likewise, you don't meet all social grps consistently but rather it varies insteadthis means that you gonna do the same for guilds, your attention span too will varies

now, you multiple that kind of behavior to ten of thousands of peopleand that is ontop of people who use guilds for convenienceone is not gonna have sufficient attention span for all of them, unless they literally live in the game and active time for different guilds are different, otherwise certain guilds will definitely be neglected in the long runanet which like to talk about how they like people making friends and community will then completely have that become a pipe dreamafterall, this is a game, not irl, it takes more effort and opportunities to be friends and this explosion of access just gonna encourage acquaintance relationship than friends and community.

you can disagree with my assumptions but my assumption is shared by many and easily googled

as one may guess, to me, the debate is always about either guild for convenience or guild as a guild.