Random Mode (Chaos)

Abelisk.4527

I was thinking about ideas to flavor up PVP and thought about a "Random Mode", or where builds are completely randomized. It will be featured in hotjoin servers. Balance for this game mode is out of the question.

When the game starts, the player's class's build will change completely. You can view traits from the Hero panel to see what your build is running. Amulet, rune, weapons, sigils, traits are ALL randomized. This affects everyone. The random change occurs during the waiting pre-period before a match starts. Random changes revert to your normal build after the game ends. If you don't own the random weapon required then the game will generate for you a standard basic weapon to use (you will automatically be already carrying said weapon).

Most importantly, you cannot change anything during the pre-period waiting. You can't change or unequip your weapons, traits, amulet etc.

What do you think? I'd love something like this because of the unpredictability.

@"Abelisk.4527" said:I was thinking about ideas to flavor up PVP and thought about a "Random Mode", or where builds are completely randomized. It will be featured in hotjoin servers. Balance for this game mode is out of the question.

When the game starts, the player's class's build will change completely. You can view traits from the Hero panel to see what your build is running. Amulet, rune, weapons, sigils, traits are ALL randomized. This affects everyone. The random change occurs during the waiting pre-period before a match starts. Random changes revert to your normal build after the game ends. If you don't own the random weapon required then the game will generate for you a standard basic weapon to use (you will automatically be already carrying said weapon).

Most importantly, you cannot change anything during the pre-period waiting. You can't change or unequip your weapons, traits, amulet etc.

What do you think? I'd love something like this because of the unpredictability.

Hmmm sound really good man.

Anything similar would be fine if the would-be gamemode mechanics already existed in custom arenas. Being, the balance and replay value of the game mode is too risky for development. Anet could recreate another Stronghold failure.

I rather get a 2v2 or 3v3 Round-Robin game mode.

It'd need to re-randomize on every death so that players don't get sick of their build draw over the course of a 15-minute joke of a game-mode. TF2 already does this with an arena mode mod called "Randomizer," and it's a jolly good time on occasion. The strength of that mode, however, is the player realizing that there is only 1 life to use any given weapon set-up due to the nature of the arena mode. Not only does this make a player try to make the most of any set-up, but it also reassures the player that the next round (all arena rounds are fairly quick and messy) will provide a new weapon set-up to use. Gw2's conquest mode is hot garbage for this kind of a mode (and really just most things in general). Swap skills on every death for more enjoyment.

@Vallun.2071 said:terrible idea, nice game when enemy randomly gets a meta similar build and u get kitten dd soulbeast LUL

Sounds like somebody dislikes fun.

@"Swagg.9236" said:It'd need to re-randomize on every death so that players don't get sick of their build draw over the course of a 15-minute joke of a game-mode. TF2 already does this with an arena mode mod called "Randomizer," and it's a jolly good time on occasion. The strength of that mode, however, is the player realizing that there is only 1 life to use any given weapon set-up due to the nature of the arena mode. Not only does this make a player try to make the most of any set-up, but it also reassures the player that the next round (all arena rounds are fairly quick and messy) will provide a new weapon set-up to use. Gw2's conquest mode is hot garbage for this kind of a mode (and really just most things in general). Swap skills on every death for more enjoyment.

@Vallun.2071 said:terrible idea, nice game when enemy randomly gets a meta similar build and u get kitten dd soulbeast LUL

Na that just sounds really unfun to have your build not chosen for you. Every time i load into a game with the wrong build i usually have a bad time, And im sure people who are more casual and prefer to stick to their one or two builds would like it even less because they take a while to learn their abilities, giving them a weapon theyve never seen before and putting them in direct pvp just sounds likea bad time.

@Vallun.2071 said:

@"Swagg.9236" said:It'd need to re-randomize on every death so that players don't get sick of their build draw over the course of a 15-minute joke of a game-mode. TF2 already does this with an arena mode mod called "Randomizer," and it's a jolly good time on occasion. The strength of that mode, however, is the player realizing that there is only 1 life to use any given weapon set-up due to the nature of the arena mode. Not only does this make a player try to make the most of any set-up, but it also reassures the player that the next round (all arena rounds are fairly quick and messy) will provide a new weapon set-up to use. Gw2's conquest mode is hot garbage for this kind of a mode (and really just most things in general). Swap skills on every death for more enjoyment.

Na that just sounds really unfun to have your build not chosen for you. Every time i load into a game with the wrong build i usually have a bad time, And im sure people who are more casual and prefer to stick to their one or two builds would like it even less because they take a while to learn their abilities, giving them a weapon theyve never seen before and putting them in direct pvp just sounds likea bad time.

If you name your server "Random Server!" then I think 90% of players will understand it's going to be random.

Plus, it'll be hotjoin.

Actually, getting a new build upon respawning sounds like a great idea. It'll help against the "someone with a meta build all game" and "someone with a trash build all game" dilemma.

I personally think it's exciting to get a random build because you never know what'll happen. You might even stumble on a build that surprisingly works that noone thought of (Elementalist and conjures, etc)

Archived