Please do something about the Toxic Hybrid mini

Eclipsiste.3251

In the previous forum we already had a thread where many players explained how this mini sounds are a real pain for them.Today I tried doing the Fire Elemental event. Right next to me came a player with the toxic hybrid mini, and the sounds soon became unbearable. I asked him politely if he could change mini for the duration of the event (here's the message I sent him: would you mind changing minipet for the duration of the event? the sounds are painful for me).Not only did he not change, but he started following me everywhere in the room, standing right above my character.I had to leave and miss the event because of him.What kind of player is that?So please, Anet, DO something about these sounds. Make them mutable, or something.Another player, in WvW, told me he wasn't even aware of the mini making sounds. Do players around the owner of the mini ear more sounds that him?Anyway, I've seen more players using this mini these past few weeks. I've been almost everyday forced to leave areas because of these sounds. This is ruining my game and it's a pity nothing is done about it.

I don't think I've ever noticed it making a sound before, either when I'm using it or when someone else around me is. I wonder if it's got something to do with your sound settings or speakers - if it's a very high pitched sound (which seems likely if it's painful) maybe some people's PCs aren't capable of playing it, or it's too quiet to be noticeable.

(The player being unable to hear it is another possibility, but I happen to know I can hear up to 20kHz and 'feel' 21kHz as a weird pressure in my ears, which is the normal limit of human hearing. Unless it's 18kHz and exactly merges with my tinnitus...)

Either way that player was being obnoxious. If he just ignored the message I'd say maybe he just had chat turned off completely, as many people do during big events, but following you around like that sounds like he was going out of his way to troll you.

Wait...that awful noise is made by this mini?! Omg, I always thought that's a noise Charrs made and I was so annoyed by it that I always avoided to stand near themhaha I am so sorry to all the Charrs out there to think it was you! My bad!(luckily I never complained about it) xD

I wholeheartedly agree. That sound need to go! It's so awful. I hate it. Now that I know that it isn't made my the Charr but by some stupid little mini, please get rid of it.

I've run that mini continuously for hours and never been bothered by it. I can't recall seeing it more than once on another character in town. Please Anet don't take sounds (or visuals) off things based upon overblown complaints like this. The slider was a great change to address this with other items, if, Anet, you're going to kowtow to this, please implement a slider.

@Thelgar.7214 said:I've run that mini continuously for hours and never been bothered by it. I can't recall seeing it more than once on another character in town. Please Anet don't take sounds (or visuals) off things based upon overblown complaints like this. The slider was a great change to address this with other items, if, Anet, you're going to kowtow to this, please implement a slider.

Ah, you're right! That's a good way to solve this too. I don't care how they do it. Just please...give us an option to turn that sound off. I ALWAYS hear that in town. Right now I am standing in Royal Terrace and sure enough - there it is again. And it really is the Mini, I found it :< I don't understand how others can stand that sound.

edit: the smiley looked so angry, so I changed it. xD

@Thelgar.7214 said:I've run that mini continuously for hours and never been bothered by it. I can't recall seeing it more than once on another character in town. Please Anet don't take sounds (or visuals) off things based upon overblown complaints like this. The slider was a great change to address this with other items, if, Anet, you're going to kowtow to this, please implement a slider.

I certainly don't ask for a complete removal. I think there must be a way for every player to enjoy the game. If Anet can create a check/uncheck option, or a slider (just like what we have for music instruments, or unique sounds made by some weapons....), that would be perfect. I just ask for a solution for people who have a problem with these sounds, if you don't then you're just luckier than me.I understand why some people tell me "just turn the sound off", but I love the music, and I love other environmental sounds. Sorry if muting the entire game is not a spontaneous response from me. I have over 7K hours playing, and these sounds have become a problem in the recent months. I'm not the only one asking for a way to mute them.

@Eclipsiste.3251 said:

I certainly don't ask for a complete removal. I think there must be a way for every player to enjoy the game. If Anet can create a check/uncheck option, or a slider (just like what we have for music instruments, or unique sounds made by some weapons....), that would be perfect. I just ask for a solution for people who have a problem with these sounds, if you don't then you're just luckier than me.I understand why some people tell me "just turn the sound off", but I love the music, and I love other environmental sounds. Sorry if muting the entire game is not a spontaneous response from me. I have over 7K hours playing, and these sounds have become a problem in the recent months. I'm not the only one asking for a way to mute them.

The mini has been in the game for years. If you have 7000 hours, then you almost certainly had to have been playing when it was first released and more common than it is now even after being placed in the Year 1 boxes. It just sounds like horse hockey that this mini is ruining the game.

How is this an "overblown complaint"?

@ Thelgar

Well, good for you that you aren't bothered by that sound. But others like us are and we would appreciate it if we could mute that sound. What's your problem with that? I don't understand why you take that suggestion so personally? Eclipsiste said that he/she doesn't want the mini removed but that he/she just wants to have the option to mute it for himself/herself.

edit: typo

I personally think if people are going full martyr over some in-game sound (or are otherwise hypersensitive to certain sounds for some reason) and complain about it rather than accepting their fate and turning down the volume, they might want to consider trying out some other game.

Yes, I think some sounds and visuals are annoying too, but they belong to the game. I can then choose if I let them ruin the game for me or not.

It is odd to me that one's first response to the sound present at an event was to ask the other player to reduce his game experience rather than to adjust one's own volume settings for the same limited time frame. I mean, if it is temporary for the other guy, it would be tempkrary for you as well right?

@Ashen.2907 said:It is odd to me that one's first response to the sound present at an event was to ask the other player to reduce his game experience rather than to adjust one's own volume settings for the same limited time frame. I mean, if it is temporary for the other guy, it would be tempkrary for you as well right?

Ok I love minis probably more than any sane person should, I have hundreds and always, always have one displayed. But even I think hiding your mini for the duration of a world boss fight is hardly "reducing your game experience". Especially during a world boss fight where it's highly unlikely you'd be able to see it anyway and you've got plenty of other things to focus on.

But then I feel the same about turning the sound off or disabling whichever subset includes the mini (I'm guessing it's Effects). This mini doesn't bother me but the sound of someone sniffing or eating with their mouth open makes me feel sick (literally) and incredibly twitchy and if I had the option to temporarily shut off my hearing so I don't have to listen to it - even if I couldn't hear anything else for the duration - I'd do it in a second. (And I kind of do - I typically listen to music through sound isolating headphones on public transport and whenever I can get away with it in the office too, largely for this reason.)

Archived