Giant Slayer -- but no title?

kharmin.7683

You might have the opinion that there should be more of a reward, but saying that you're surprised you didn't get more when you completed it seems... hard to motivate.Any surprise about what the reward is completely on you. Everything is stated in game, and documented on the wiki.

(Edited a bit, it was rightfully pointed out to me that my original statement was veering toward rudeness)

I'm sorry you were disappointed by this achievement. :(

For future reference you can check the rewards for any achievement by clicking on it to display it's individual page. That will show you exactly how many AP you can get (both in total and per tier), and if it's repeatable you can hover over the number to see how many times it will grant AP. Titles are shown with a crown icon and hovering over it will tell you exactly what the title is (it's not always the same as the achievement name) Any items will be shown with a chest symbol, and again hovering over it will show exactly what those are.

In some cases you may need to check the Wiki to get the full story. For example some achievements let you choose an exotic weapon but don't include precursors, which isn't explicitly stated in the achievement window, and sometimes it's not clear what an item does. But unless it's a brand new achievement the Wiki will have the full info.

Yeah, I knew going in that there was no title for this. Prior to PoF, there were few giants that actually counted for this achievement which is why I was surprised that nothing more came from it. No, not the most difficult achievement, bur certainly time-consuming. At least it was for me.

@Danikat.8537 I really admire your posts throughout the forums. ;) Always kind and helpful

I was also curious as to how many others have finished this one.

@artemis.6781 said:I never really attempted it since Giant farming was horrible in my opinion. It's the only Slayer I don't have. And I'll definitely check out the Giants in PoF now!

I did the giant slayer years ago. There's an event in SW Brisban Wildlands which spawn veteran giants, and I was lucky enough to come across a guild that were dedicated to farming that event for giants. With enough people I Believe we were able to spawn as much as 7 giants for a single event. All in all, I think I got enough giants in like 2 weeks.

Needless to say, I have not done that event ever again :open_mouth:

@kharmin.7683 said:Yeah, I knew going in that there was no title for this (so, no, not stupid. Thanks for that). Prior to PoF, there were few giants that actually counted for this achievement which is why I was surprised that nothing more came from it. No, not the most difficult achievement, bur certainly time-consuming. At least it was for me.

@Danikat.8537 I really admire your posts throughout the forums. ;) Always kind and helpful

I was also curious as to how many others have finished this one.

Kharmin, I appologise for my inital wording, it was inappropriate.

If you fully knew that there would be no title and no other reward than the AP, why did it disappoint only when you completed it? (Not hating, just don't quite understand)

Anyways... even though it does take significantly longer than the other slayer achievements, it is still in essence the same, and so a different reward could be seen as a bit out of place.And no, I have not completed it yet :) I don't really go out of my way to get the slayer achievements, I am sure I will get them eventually just playing the game... done so with most of them at least.

@Zeefa.3915 said:If you fully knew that there would be no title and no other reward than the AP, why did it disappoint only when you completed it? (Not hating, just don't quite understand)

Question taken as intended.

I just thought that the difficulty of the achievement (over time) could warrant something other than the standard AP. I didn't expect anything more upon completion and had several in map-chat wonder at why I was even bothering to make a run at it. I guess I was disappointed from the start but ground it out anyway just to say I'd done it.

IMO, there are titles for lesser achievements and I felt that they missed an opportunity with rewarding something that takes so much time to complete given the rarity of giants that count that one can target.

I'm no less proud of what I've now accomplished although my spouse is glad that I'm finally done with it.

I remember in gw1 there where people who found something very elitist, even near impossible. Getting to level 20 (max) in pre searing. To explain the pre searing maps where the tutorial maps for the original gw1. The highest level foe there was level 10. When you kill something more then 3 levels below your own, you won't get any xp (and no other thing to do to gain experience as quest where limited). So how did they do it? They let the foes kill them. Over and over in the same instance. The foes gained experience from killing you and so levelled up. Once they where a few levels higher you kill them and gain a tiny bit of experience. They even found a spot to be afk-killed over and over by the same foe, as in gw1 you where auto ressed at a shrine (and they lured the foes there to be ready to kill you the moment you where ressurected).

So Arenanet decided such an effort should be rewarded with a title. A better reward then they had so far. So people complained about it being impossible and Arenanet actually introduced higher level foes to make it less impossible.

Gaining this title was for the oddballs. Giving extra reward will lead to the effect explained above. But fortunately with pof it already devaluated.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Zeefa.3915 said:If you fully knew that there would be no title and no other reward than the AP, why did it disappoint only when you completed it? (Not hating, just don't quite understand)

Question taken as intended.

I just thought that the difficulty of the achievement (over time) could warrant something other than the standard AP. I didn't expect anything more upon completion and had several in map-chat wonder at why I was even bothering to make a run at it. I guess I was disappointed from the start but ground it out anyway just to say I'd done it.

IMO, there are titles for lesser achievements and I felt that they missed an opportunity with rewarding something that takes so much time to complete given the rarity of giants that count that one can target.

I'm no less proud of what I've now accomplished although my spouse is glad that I'm finally done with it.

I kinda get that, it does take significantly longer with the giants being rare. I still think it is fine as is though... since it is still, in essence, the same as all the others.Totally worth being proud of :)

@Zeefa.3915 said:

I kinda get that, it does take significantly longer with the giants being rare. I still think it is fine as is though... since it is still, in essence, the same as all the others.Totally worth being proud of :)Being a very casual player, with limited time, didn't make it any easier. I figured if i could average 2 giants per day for five days a week that would be 10 giants in a week. Extrapolate that to 520 giants per year meant that I would accomplish this achievement in just under 2 years.

Fortunately, I was able to find more weekend time and holiday time, but it meant anchoring myself in Diessa Plateau for long stretches. Glad to be done so that I no longer have to listen to the Charr in Nageling who are so eager to gut spies, or deal with the separatists because the legions in the village are too weak to manage on their own.

I got it done before when we only had the very few giants to kill. Toxal Bog U.N.I.T. event is still the easiest and the more people who are there when the event starts the more giants spawn (up to 6 I think) We used to get a group together and spend a day there getting as many kills as we could. Plus if the event failed it reset quicker. Since this was one of the toughest of the slayers I do think it deserved a title.

The 'other' slayer achieve that really, really needs a title is the Thirst Slayer. 100K drinks deserves a title. I am still disappointed that Festive Imbiber was so easily gotten at 10K drinks and the other one takes so much more and gets you nada.

@kharmin.7683 said:@Aerinndis.2730 Wow, that would have been good to know 10 months ago! I didn't think that location spawned so many.

I agree about the Thirst Slayer. That's one I'm sure I will never achieve!Are you sitting on a large amount of karma? (I have about 14 million!) A Bottle of Raven's Best costs 7 karma. So 700,000 karma = Thirst Slayer.

Archived