Make AR account bound.

Way way too many people in t3 and t4 fractals that don't know the mechanics of any fights yet. People just get asc gear, then buy ar, then join higher lvl fractals with no knowledge of any of the fights or what to do, why have tiers if they can be skipped? It should become account bound so you can still make alt's and get them AR, but keep 'new players' from starting at a part that isn't for new players, so other people can make them them gold. Almost everyday I can join almost any PUG and I'm lucky if 1 or 2 other people know anything about the fractal. More specifically, the boss fights.

I'd be even happy with a simple AR as account bound items, the way they are now, still farmable, still upgradable, etc. Just cant be sold on TP, super quick and easy fix, and it would keep 100% of people who are new to fractals, in the T1 and T2 to learn.

I don't mind people new to t3 or new to t4, but I don't know if I'm unlucky or what, but I run into an EXCESSIVE amount of people who are plain new to fractals, in t3 and t4 :'(

No, as I don't wish for it to be removed...at all, also don't care about account-wide. Just non-tradable/sellable. People skipping to the hard content without knowing a thing makes for horrible groups, with horrible attitudes, and by no means fun or enjoyable. And lotsa people out there are like me, have a family and a job, lotsa time constraints. Who wants to blow their entire time in the game on 1 fractal because someone buys a 150+ ar, then goes in thinking "this 1 only needs 110 ar this is going to be so easy" without understanding a single thing about the fractal.

Actually, this makes lots of sense. If AR is meant to be a progression of a character to higher fractals as they earn lower ones, the ability to buy your way immediately into high AR fractals is rather stupid to begin with. Anet screwed the pooch on this one ... you can completely by pass this progression requirement.

@Boom Stick.4892 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Find a pr0 guild. You already have the attitude.

Not a chance, I don't like following the meta, don't really care about hardcore speedruns etc. But by t3, seriously, people should at LEAST (at a bare minimum) know the mechanics of it.
Pro guilds are all toxic haha

Just highlighting this gem

@Boom Stick.4892 said:No, as I don't wish for it to be removed...at all, also don't care about account-wide. Just non-tradable/sellable. People skipping to the hard content without knowing a thing makes for horrible groups, with horrible attitudes, and by no means fun or enjoyable. And lotsa people out there are like me, have a family and a job, lotsa time constraints. Who wants to blow their entire time in the game on 1 fractal because someone buys a 150+ ar, then goes in thinking "this 1 only needs 110 ar this is going to be so easy" without understanding a single thing about the fractal.

You really, really fit there more than you think

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Find a pr0 guild. You already have the attitude.

Not a chance, I don't like following the meta, don't really care about hardcore speedruns etc. But by t3, seriously, people should at LEAST (at a bare minimum) know the mechanics of it.
Pro guilds are all toxic haha

Just highlighting this gem

@Boom Stick.4892 said:No, as I don't wish for it to be removed...at all, also don't care about account-wide. Just non-tradable/sellable.
People skipping to the hard content without knowing a thing makes for horrible groups, with horrible attitudes, and by no means fun or enjoyable. And lotsa people out there are like me, have a family and a job, lotsa time constraints. Who wants to blow their entire time in the game on 1 fractal because someone buys a 150+ ar, then goes in thinking "this 1 only needs 110 ar this is going to be so easy" without understanding a single thing about the fractal.

You really, really fit there more than you think

I don’t think he fits in with a pro-speedrun-l33t guild at all. Nobody wants to spend an hour+ on a single fractal that should take 30mins or less. Especially if you have other things you want to do ingame/have a job/got rl plans etc. That’s a very very fair point to have.Players that are using the Tier4 LFG should know the mechanics of Fractals by that stage, that was the point of the scale system in the first place, to learn as you progress up the scale.Being able to buy AR and have someone open up t4 for the guy that’s probably got a personal Fractal level of 15 is not ok and bypasses the progression system entirely. I’m sure if Anet can restrict PvP queues to rank 20+, they can alter how Fractals are opened (we can already only open the scale we are up to personally, but players should only be able to enter the tier their personal level is in, regardless if a friend/guild member can open a higher tier, this change might help preventing players bypass the progression scale.)It is not fun carrying obviously fresh fractal runners that bought all 150 AR and slapped on a meta build that they 1 1 1 on thinking they’re top dps.

Would non-tradeable infusions have a positive effect on fractals? Possibly. They'll definitely have negative effects, too, since infusions are another source of possible income gained from doing fractals. I'm not sure that the net effect will be positive, since I don't have the feeling there are so many people who have just bought their way to T4s. You can also play all the way and still have no clue about how to properly play your class and the encounters. I'd expect this group to be the vast majority of poor players and making infusions account-bound won't help at all.

Infusions are worth $ yes, but at the same time, if every pug you joined knew the mechanics, then you would run into far far less bad runs, finishing your daily fractals much much quicker is worth much more than 1-2g worth of ar. I don't see 1-2g affecting people, especially if they can almost always find a pug that knows what to expect and what to do.

There are enough veteran players in T4 with 0 clue of properly fighting bosses or even knowing all the mechanics not to mention tricks that makes things way easier. They are veterans because they are there since years not because they are good players. They still just smash buttons, throw everything against the bosses and hope those die before themselves.

@Boom Stick.4892 said:Infusions are worth $ yes, but at the same time, if every pug you joined knew the mechanics, then you would run into far far less bad runs, finishing your daily fractals much much quicker is worth much more than 1-2g worth of ar. I don't see 1-2g affecting people, especially if they can almost always find a pug that knows what to expect and what to do.

You didn't understand my post, did you? Let me repeat it: The group of people your change would address is likely rather small. The other group, which Vince also describes, is definitely there and probably rather large. Introducing your AR change will do nothing to the second group, hence provide no guarantee at all that you'd have smooth runs. Chances are high that you'll take away a source of income for no tangible benefit at all.

I 100% like the fact that players can skip from fractal 1 to fractal 100 by joining a group that opens fractal 100 for them. This allows me as a guild lead, to bring new players directly into T4s and teach them. Furthermore on that topic, people want to get involved in fractals for lucrative reasons. Many of them lose interest if they have to grind through literally 100 fractal levels to open fractal 100. It's enough of a gate to require a full ascended gear setup, which is actually difficult for new players.

In other words, trying to further gate player access to T4 fractals may make daily runs feel more comfortable for the small population of elite fractal runners, concerning less frequency of bad PUGs, but it is not going to help the growth of the game mode or it's longevity in general. It will only serve to diminish player population more quickly over time.

Another aspect about this topic that people are neglecting to notice is that, a player may be great on his main but not so good on the alt that he is trying for the first time. Still no reason to gate the hell out of T4 access though.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Another aspect about this topic that people are neglecting to notice is that, a player may be great on his main but not so good on the alt that he is trying for the first time. Still no reason to gate the hell out of T4 access though.

Reminds me of the good old times in a pure, completely unknown (^^) PvP game: "Hey, the new champ was released 2 days ago but he already is my main. I play ranked queue with it now!" or the players who picked a champ for the first time in ranked.It's really better to start playing open world or the daily recommended fractals than starting to play the alt in T4 for the first time. For the player himself and the group if we are speaking of pugs, not guild or static groups.

• 3 weeks later...

No, AR should not be account bound. > @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I 100% like the fact that players can skip from fractal 1 to fractal 100 by joining a group that opens fractal 100 for them. This allows me as a guild lead, to bring new players directly into T4s and teach them. Furthermore on that topic, people want to get involved in fractals for lucrative reasons. Many of them lose interest if they have to grind through literally 100 fractal levels to open fractal 100. It's enough of a gate to require a full ascended gear setup, which is actually difficult for new players.

In other words, trying to further gate player access to T4 fractals may make daily runs feel more comfortable for the small population of elite fractal runners, concerning less frequency of bad PUGs, but it is not going to help the growth of the game mode or it's longevity in general. It will only serve to diminish player population more quickly over time.

Another aspect about this topic that people are neglecting to notice is that, a player may be great on his main but not so good on the alt that he is trying for the first time. Still no reason to gate the hell out of T4 access though.

Agree, AR should most certainly not be account bound. Current system can learn fine. If you don't like dealing with learning players (and those can include people who were somehow carried thru t3s by people who know mechanics too, and AR has nothing to do with that--- even by account bound system they would still not know what they are doing) go list for experienced only. Tradeable AR makes it convenient for when you have excess, for making money via the fractals, for if someone already has knowledge of the t4, the armor for it, but not the AR (aka they are already @ T4, etc), and so on. It makes it able to play with friends, also, if you are playing on alts as well and know the mechanics well, having to grind thru every single tier all over again would be awful. Account bound AR and less people would play fractals. I like that the majority of fractal community is like a lot of the rest of gw2 players, nice helpful ,except for some folks who stay in t4.

Archived