New player

Bobert.7458

Hi everyone, new player here. I will be starting my first character tonight after work. I was just wondering what the current standings are for classes. In previous games im usually a tank, so im probably gonna stick with something like that or maybe go dps if you guys think that might be better. Im also gonna be looking for a guild to join of anyone is willing to take in a noob. Thanks in advance for any help.

@"Bobert.7458" said:Hi everyone, new player here. I will be starting my first character tonight after work. I was just wondering what the current standings are for classes. In previous games im usually a tank, so im probably gonna stick with something like that or maybe go dps if you guys think that might be better. Im also gonna be looking for a guild to join of anyone is willing to take in a noob. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi! Feel free to add me to your list and hit me up with any questions in game! Welcome to GW2!

One thing you should know is that there are no defined class roles here, for the most part. "Tanking" isn't a thing because there is no meaningful way to manipulate threat mechanics. In other words, you can load up on armor and health all you want, but you can't force enemies to attack you instead of other players, so you really only protect yourself that way.

As for class standings? I assume you're talking instanced PvE. Usually, elementalist specs are at or near the top damage dealers in raids and the current meta is no exception with the elementalist PoF elite spec "weaver" at the top. However, elementalist is the most difficult class to play, and you may not get the best results with it as a new player. If you're looking for an easier alternative, guardian and ranger both have competitive specs (both also require PoF, however) and these classes are more new player friendly.

I think you'd enjoy guardian as a starter. As stated above, there are no tanks (in fact may consider necromancer, a light armor class, one of the tankier professions) But guardian feels not very squishy, has high survivability, and can deal out some serious damage. Ranger can be a good profession to learn the game on, with a longbow. I like engineer too at least low levels with a turret set up, but it can become very complicated at level 80, since turrets aren't really a viable option any more.In the end, it's good to experiment with several professions in the beginning. They all have so much customizing in builds and weapons, that one profession can be made to fill most roles we got used to in other games.

It's good you have one of the expansions, but for starting, it doesn't make any difference. Expansions give you extra options with builds when you get to 80, but otherwise, it doesn't matter when you're new. I will say though, if they gave you an 80 boost, just.... don't use it. Those things are awful. You'll be an 80 with no maps uncovered, no idea how your profession is played, short on hero points (those are points you use to train specializations) and just lost in general. I have a friend who just started a few weeks ago, used the 80 boost that came with the expansion, and I helped him through the first story instance so he could get his raptor, then he deleted that character and went back to level up the "right way" hehe. level 1-80 is like the game tutorial, and really important to go through that process.

@"Bobert.7458" said:Hi everyone, new player here. I will be starting my first character tonight after work. I was just wondering what the current standings are for classes. In previous games im usually a tank, so im probably gonna stick with something like that or maybe go dps if you guys think that might be better. Im also gonna be looking for a guild to join of anyone is willing to take in a noob. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome in Guild Wars 2 , Mate! Feel free to take a look to this Project, all about newcomers ;) https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/25835/new-players-returning-players-project-equity

@Bobert.7458 said:As far as endgame content goes what are some classes that are really useful and that will always be wanted. Please no healers i am just god awful at healing.

Hey, good news! While some classes (ranger, elementalist, revenant) can be spec'd for healing, there aren't really healers here as you may know them from other games. Much of your healing capability here is untargeted area effect as opposed to watching health bars and targeting players in need. And no class is pigeon-holed into only healing (druid is really the only one that's sort of ubiquitous in organized PvE).

Like I said, guardian and ranger would probably be good classes to start with as they are both fairly easy to learn but have competitive raid DPS builds as well as the option for support roles. They also make solid classes for new players leveling up because they tend to do well in open world play without requiring a huge learning curve.

Edit: Necromancer is another highly recommended class for new players. It's perhaps the most effortless class to survive and thrive with in solo play. Unfortunately, it isn't particularly competitive in raids, but is still great for pretty much any other game mode.

If I were starting over, I would level a Necromancer, and once the Necromancer is 80, choose which other class to boost with the free 80 from the expansion.

Necromancer is probably the easiest, which is good. It will allow you to focus on other things, and not feel as much like you need to waste precious resources on upgrading your gear as often. The high survavability also means you can spend more time figuring out what bad stuff you should have avoided, where if Elementalist was your first character I suspect you’d just think “what the heck just killed me” a lot instead of realizing “oh, I shouldn’t stand there” or “oh, I need to move away from that giant hammer slowly dropping in my face.”

This will also mean you have a Necromancer and whatever you actually want at 80 when you’re done leveling, which is great since I feel Necromancer is the best farming option available. And you’ll probably need to farm something at some point.

Welcome aboard.I suggest you to try to forget most of the things you learnt from previous mmo:

• Equipment progression: this game is balanced around exotic equipment, which can be obtained in a few hours. There's a more powerful version of the equip, but is mostly meant for a specific PvE game mode ( fractals ) even though it could be useful in Raids too ( but Raids can be achieved with a full exotic party too ).
  • Combo FIelds and Combo Finisher ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo ), which are an important part of the game.
  • Hybrid System with Tab Target + No Target combat ( you are not needed to target your opponent, and mostly you'll have not to target him in order to perform some skills the way you want. It's not complicated even though to be explained in a proper way could need some minutes ).
  • Endgame ( There's no real endgame, but as a new player the world is full of activities. I suggest you to take your time, not to waste your lvl80 Boost and ask for helps in a friendly guild or here on forum ). I suggest you also to spend some time doing Jumping Puzzles in order to learn how jump works and a better handling ).
  • 3 game mode mostly ( PvE, WvW which is server vs server vs server, and SPvP which is 5v5 with no equip. Everybody will have the same stats ), and as Loosmaster suggested you here above, think about the server because ( unless you pay golds or cash to change it ) you will be locked to it in terms of WvW ( only WvW. Nothing Else ).
  • I suggest you also to take the second Expansion, which is currently cheap ( and gives also you another free inventory slot and a booster too, if i recall correctly ).
  • Buy from the gem store the "Copper Fed-Salvage O Matic" asap. It's a must to play this game.

Enjoy!

Archived