ArenaNet: Desyncs, Ping issues, FPS issues and CPU instabilities...

With each patch, these issues are becoming more problematic and prominent within the client...

Anyone that has done coding before, know that rewriting the engine and focusing on stability fixes is a much shorter project than creating an entire MMO again.

• Rewriting the engine = 2-3 years.
  • Programming a new MMO = 4-7 years.

I don't understand why the last 2 years of requests for better DX support and engine rewrites have either been neglected or ignored. We are now having huge desync issues, something never seen before in open world and even inside raids.

We cannot communicate effectively on the bosses in W5 because of the desync issues.We have stardust mounts crashing people on use within W5.We have FPS instabilities all the time, with no "fix" on the horizon.

When is it going to be enough to a point where you'll invest money into the client/stability?

The funny thing is that the engine behaves weird in my opinion. I am running a Ryzen 7 1700X, 16 GByte RAM and a GTX1080.While I know the game is utterly bad at CPU performance (core 7 and 8 even idle!) and despite having a very cappable machine, on FullHD without Anti Alias I have instable 30-50 frames. When I turn off stuff in the options, I get the same amount of frames rendered. When I walk in the overcrowded Rata Sum market place with 60 models rendered at once my FPS are still the same.

I can switch back and forth, it does not change a thing performance-wise. It's disheartening to have not-so great FPS here when you see the CPU usage is like 60% and D3D usage 40%, while struggle with mainting 40fps.

Used to blame "the engine", too, but when I saw all the added graphical effects, like the shards of the Raptor and all that, high quality textures with literally no bump in performance (to me), I think it's not right that the engine in general is at fault. It looks more like there's a bottleneck somehwere avoiding the game to be performant, just like driving in the first gear with your Ferrarri, wondering why you can't get over 40km/h or when you wonder why your sink is not draining and when you pull out a bunch of hairs, the water drains in 0.5 seconds.

DirectX, well, it will not have a huge impact and you might also lose many Windows7 players. I am sure aNet has metrics of it.

There is a lot of memory fragmentation occurring (allocation/de-allocation of memory without internal memory management by the program) and that causes a gradual slowdown of performance in a lot of ways; every time a new structure/class, array, or other form of memory "blob" is released back to the OS it goes to a low priority process known as "garbage collection" and it takes an inordinate amount of time to coalesce those fragments back into usable size for new allocations. That's a problem in most games... which is surprising since internal memory management isn't that difficult to implement.I haven't seen too many memory leaks, although there have been some previously.The biggest performance issue I've seen (granted, I have a beast of a graphics card) is actually in connectivity. I haven't had a session in weeks where I don't get a message to the effect of "... can't connect to the login server..." right in the middle of doing simple things like moving from point-A to point-B in a zone... no reason to be attempting to connect to the login server at that point in time. And then the game hangs; I have to Alt-tab out from a black screen; and I have to kill the process.I'm guessing they need a bigger pipe and better netcode.

@"Zedek.8932" said:The funny thing is that the engine behaves weird in my opinion. I am running a Ryzen 7 1700X, 16 GByte RAM and a GTX1080.While I know the game is utterly bad at CPU performance (core 7 and 8 even idle!) and despite having a very cappable machine, on FullHD without Anti Alias I have instable 30-50 frames. When I turn off stuff in the options, I get the same amount of frames rendered. When I walk in the overcrowded Rata Sum market place with 60 models rendered at once my FPS are still the same.

I can switch back and forth, it does not change a thing performance-wise. It's disheartening to have not-so great FPS here when you see the CPU usage is like 60% and D3D usage 40%, while struggle with mainting 40fps.

Used to blame "the engine", too, but when I saw all the added graphical effects, like the shards of the Raptor and all that, high quality textures with literally no bump in performance (to me), I think it's not right that the engine in general is at fault. It looks more like there's a bottleneck somehwere avoiding the game to be performant, just like driving in the first gear with your Ferrarri, wondering why you can't get over 40km/h or when you wonder why your sink is not draining and when you pull out a bunch of hairs, the water drains in 0.5 seconds.

DirectX, well, it will not have a huge impact and you might also lose many Windows7 players. I am sure aNet has metrics of it.

Okay, but, my comment was an "in whole" thing, most people think we only have two options - new mmo or rebuild engine, so I played to their ignorance.

There are of course more complex issues under the "helm", but, I think as a whole the engine itself is not going very well, the more and more patches we get the more unstable the client becomes for whatever reason - I'm sure a more updated engine would help give them room to make these improvements.

I too, don't think it's the client that is the issue here, more likely the servers. Late last year Anet moved servers over to amazon, we had massive DC's for several weeks as everything was being moved. A lot of Lag too.... Maybe it would have been smarter to take the entire game off line and move it across, at least that was my thoughts.The thing is, there are always something going wrong on the server end of the game. Such of Ddos attacks, and hackings etc Does anyone ever stop to ask, "what happens when those server's that the games run on have an issue, how does that effect our game?"It's like when a computer is full and hasn't been defragged in a while, they tend to run slow... The amount of Data that is stored on those servers daily would be astonishing, and the more fuller they get, wouldn't that too effect our game play?I Just feel we are all barking up the wrong tree by saying the client is what the issue is.

Archived