Newbie 3D printer here: Any luck with 3D printing your toon?

I am totally new to 3D printing.

I was just curious if anyone has had any luck 3D printing a statue of your favorite or main toon? If so on what scale?

I like miniature games, and have tons of things from those, but I was hoping something a bit bigger...maybe not collectors edition Rytlock size...but somewhere in between.

Are there parameters you had to figure out, or does GW2 have something inherent a software program can use to "scale" or "convert" images/screenshots into the 3D render that the printers use?

Would love to see any pics of any successful 3D printing character creations.

Full disclosure: I am looking to do this just for myself and my daughter. She's more knowledgeable about 3D printing than I am, but thought this might be a nice surprise for her birthday. :)

Update: Just to keep things above board and honest.

1. In my own research I have found that the ability to do this is out there, but can be really complicated for someone not familiar with 3D modeling.

2. Also, the legality is a bit fuzzy. ANet owns the rights to all the images in the game. Period. So doing this to sell them or anything would be bad, unless you work it out with ANet. So don't do that. Doing it for personal use, like I would love to have a model of my main Warrior sitting on my desk next to my Collector's Edition Rytlock, MIGHT be ok.

3. There are some places out there that will 3D print things FOR you from PC games, but again I do not know what the legality of such a service. They require very specific file types and such(again the complexity of the 3D modeling process). I would hope these businesses would clear anything with the original companies, unless printing on demand and not keeping files for people to order from would prevent any kind of copyright infringements. 3D printing is still a fairly new world, so I would strongly urge anyone that might think about this to contact ANet for clarification.

Or perhaps Gaile might be bale to help us out with some clarifications. :)

Archived