Let's Talk About Marketing...February — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Let's Talk About Marketing...February

Over the last few months I’ve had the chance to talk directly with many of you through our official forums and Reddit. It’s been amazing connecting directly with all of you and I want that to continue as you see what we’re doing.

With that in mind, tune in to Guild Chat this Friday, February 2nd @ 12:00 Noon Pacific Time to get a glimpse of how we’ll be celebrating our community in the coming month.

Thanks for your support and as always I’m looking forward to hearing your constructive feedback.

Mike Silbowitz a.k.a "Sibs"
Head of Global Marketing @ ArenaNet
Reddit: AnetHoGM

Tagged:
<<134

Comments

• Thanks @Ardid.7203. More will be understood beginning Friday and throughout the month of February. We are celebrating our fans and we really hope to enjoy what we are doing for the month.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

PoF story stuff AND a mystery community celebration? I certainly plan to watch!

• aandiarie.7195aandiarie.7195 Member ✭✭✭

Is Anet going to watch the GVG tournament. do more living story episode releases soon, or do Valentines stuff for a week? ( Like release love struck weapon skins for a while from the bl skin merchant?) Or do sales for the week so people can buy their friends things on sale in the gem store? Or is it something else?

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭

@Endelon.1042 said:
    AAAAHHHHH!

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:
    Why you gotta play me like that @Endelon.1042? ;-)

But this is AAAAHHHHmazing, isn't it? :)

• videoboy.4162videoboy.4162 Member ✭✭✭

Ok, my curiosity is officially getting the better of me now. LOL

• @aandiarie.7195 My post is very specifically around marketing based activities. Hopefully something everyone will enjoy :-)

• @Arden.7480 I personally think it's AAAAHHHmazing...but I hope you all feel the same way ;-)

• @videoboy.4162 make sure to tune in this Friday to Guild Chat ;-)

• I want every single sentient being in existence who can afford a system capable of running any games in the Guild Wars franchise to do everything that can be done in all of them.

How can we achieve that?

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to it, and the next living story.

Also Mike, PLEASE I need more bank space!

BG

• Glad you guys are willing to talk about this with us.

I would like to take this opportunity yo say a few things, hopefully that's ok, I tried starting conversation on this in the hopes that it can help the game moving forward. Love this game a lot and right now, I feel like the game could use a bit more focused marketing to help get more people to experience the great world you guys built here.

One of the big things that could help is having trailers show us what we get to an extend, I feel like there is a bit of fear when making these considering there is not much that can get people hyped. With the last one for example we did not get much to go on and it was a kitten shame, you gave us a gorgeous map that from my point of view you failed to show in that trailer. GW2 has these amazing monumental environments that possible players don't get to see because they are not in the trailers, any other mmo spoils some of the places if not most of them because showing a place makes people talk, gets people exited to explore that amazing new place, but when you get nothing but a very obscure or vague screenshot, hard to be hyped about it.

Another one is Twitch... now this I think is very relevant, being popular on twitch can make or break a game these days and I was always wondering why don't you guys sponsor some big mmo streamers to play your game at least when you get new LWS patches coming out, I actually asked large streamers and most of them have no idea GW2 has raids or challenging group content or that the game has defined class roles now and they seemed interested in it. I don't know what the logistics are for sponsoring streamers on twitch but it does not seem that hard to trow a few thousand $ at some streamers to create some buzz with a new patch, at least try it once, see if its worth it.

In any case I do hope to see trailers that show us a bit more so we can actually get hyped about something and start a conversation instead of starting a reddit thread saying how the last trailers has x number of seconds of new content.

• Gord.8654Gord.8654 Member ✭✭

Hi @Mike Silbowitz.1827 ! Thanks for the heads up and seriously thanks for being such a good sport and keeping us updated! I want to ask, the title of your post says "Marketing" but the body of your post says you're previewing "how you're celebrating the community", so which is it? I hope I'm not coming off as rude but I am truly curious. I can speak for many of my friends when I say we know Anet Devs care about us in the community. What the game needs, what the community needs is marketing of the game!

You guys are trying to engage the community and that is awesome! But I have to say, you have a great game here... market that, promote the gameplay, the art, the beauty of the world. The BEST combat system in any MMO hands down! That is what will celebrate your fans! Show the world your game, not just what people say about it. PLEASE!!

• Thank you @Kossage.9072. This sort of detailed analysis is so appreciated. Without giving away too much, a part of the February campaign includes a very unique take for us on the utilization of videos to detail GW2's impact on our community. These will begin to release mid-February and I would love your personal feedback as well as your friends and family. :-)

• Hi @MrMouser.6583

Very helpful feedback. We've heard this from quite a few of the members of our community and you are absolutely right. We need to be better at detailing what is a part of our Living World Episodes. When the next LW Video drops there will be further detail then we have shared in the past BUT I want to continue to hear how we can do better so please keep the feedback coming.

As far a streamers we do partner in this fashion and we will continue to partner with additional streamers because this is a fantastic way of detailing the game. If there are streamers you would like us to contact let me know and we will see what can be done. :-)

• Hi @Gord.8654

Not rude at all. When I say Marketing in the Subject and speak about celebrating the community I do mean both. I ask for an open mind for the month of February when you see what we have planned. This is about the community in a way that I think will give our community something they can point out to there friends and say "this is why I play GW2". I really hope you will see the value of everything we are doing in February.

We are ALSO putting together new creative, videos and trailers that will market and promote the gameplay, art, and beauty of the world. This is already in the works and I promise it is exactly what you are describing as a need for the marketing. :-)

As the February campaign rolls out please let me know your honest constructive feedback while keeping in mind that we are going to give you everything you have detailed over time and then some.

• Hello Mike,

I am someone that deals with a lot of players on a daily basis, and, to that extent affects "marketing" in some way - the first thing people read when they enter this website and Reddit is how strict and censored the forums are. Reddit equally has negative connotations but our forums are widely talked about for being so strict that criticisms are often deleted, you cannot talk about moderation issues and this type of behaviour from the staffing team spreads far and wide.

Nearly all hardcore players avoid the forums unless absolutely necessary, and then new players learn why the veterans don't access the forums - a better and less strict forum policy, a place where people meet to talk about the game, would ultimately help marketing.

That aside - taking some points from other games' release videos, they highlight and give hype to every new feature, much like you guys did with HoT - NEW CLASS, NEW ZONE, NEW BOSSES but PoF this time and the living worlds, lacked that grasp for new players. A lot of people in my guild feel "oh the new trailer is out" followed by "oh okay, I guess we'll wait for the new patch", there isn't really that much engagement for old and new players and often people end up spending the patch day doing other things because they don't feel they gain anything from the story due to lack of reveals (I'm sure other people have touched on this).

I look forward to watching this upcoming Guild Chat (the first time ever for me).

TL;DR:

• Forum policies drive people away, and the next "go-to" is Reddit; both equally as negative when talked about.
    • Nearly all trailers after HoT lacked that ability to grasp people.

Leader [GC] EU-based farming, guide & research guild: [Grind Coven]
    Discord: https://discord.gg/grindcoven
    Concept & Content Creator: https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

• What's the point in engaging with you? The Marketing team already had a thread asking for feedback, received loads and loads of good advice, then ignored it all and continues to use those embarrassing, lousy "ads" all over Facebook and Twitter and who knows where else. You can say however many times you want that you're listening to the feedback but when nothing changes why should we continue to put in the effort to help you do your own job?

• Gord.8654Gord.8654 Member ✭✭

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 I can honestly say your excitement is infectious! Can't wait to see what you all came up with!!

• Thanks @DakotaCoty.5721. I really hope our future trailer releases will be more informative and spark more excitement.

• @Smoaking.6125 We absolutely took fan feedback with the accolades video. If you feel differently I am very sorry but facts are facts. If you don't want to help me do my job that's fair. I will engage with those who want to be a part of the process.

• Thanks @Gord.8654 :-)

I am honestly very eager to hear what you think. Friday kicks off the month long campaign. Videos around this specific campaign to follow mid month. Please stay in touch.

• So I've been thinking about two marketing ideas that I would love to see from Anet.

(1): Animated short(s). I am honestly surprised Anet has not produced any animated shorts for Guild Wars 2. It seems most MMOs and FPSs these days have some form of advertising in the form of a short. Perhaps these shorts could be general and not about the most recent expansion and/or Living World Season. A quick battle or quick adventure from one or more of the different races would be a great way to show off some of the world of Tyria. I know, however, animations are not quick or cheap to do, but I think that could get a lot of people interested.

(2) Steam. I have no idea how getting a game on Steam works or costs. But being able to find Guild Wars 2 on one of the most used websites for gamers can't be bad. Since Guild Wars 2 is free-2-play I'm sure many people will download it just to try it out, especially if they see something like "Very Positive" or "Overwhelmingly Positive" on the store page. I worry, however, with there being in-game purchases if Steam charges a royalty fee for X amount of money out of every X amount of sales. The other problem is I do not know if Anet even has that option due to contracts with other companies.

Those were just a couple of thoughts I've had since the last a marketing talk.

• Hey @Mike Silbowitz.1827 seeing as you're celebrating your fans, I hope we get some sweet free items through the TP. :p :3

• Arlette.9684Arlette.9684 Member ✭✭✭

@mocceb.9842 said:
    Hey @Mike Silbowitz.1827 seeing as you're celebrating your fans, I hope we get some sweet free items through the TP. :p :3

Too easy and uninspired, a cool event would be better suited as it pets the farmers and thrill hunters alike.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gord.8654

Not rude at all. When I say Marketing in the Subject and speak about celebrating the community I do mean both. I ask for an open mind for the month of February when you see what we have planned. This is about the community in a way that I think will give our community something they can point out to there friends and say "this is why I play GW2". I really hope you will see the value of everything we are doing in February.

We are ALSO putting together new creative, videos and trailers that will market and promote the gameplay, art, and beauty of the world. This is already in the works and I promise it is exactly what you are describing as a need for the marketing. :-)

As the February campaign rolls out please let me know your honest constructive feedback while keeping in mind that we are going to give you everything you have detailed over time and then some.

A renewed manifesto video?
    I'm actually curious to see what you guys are working out...

• Hi @ProfCarson.7124

The animated short is a super appealing idea. I don’t know if we can make this a reality but I would love to explore this. :-)

• Vegeta.2563Vegeta.2563 Member ✭✭✭

You know what would be great for marketing.. Super Bowl commercial. However it's probably too late for that this year. However any type of TV commercial at this point would really help. WoW even being over 10 years old still has commercials.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Ardid.7203. More will be understood beginning Friday and throughout the month of February. We are celebrating our fans and we really hope to enjoy what we are doing for the month.

Does this imply more than episode 2 and lunar festival?

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• @Endelon.1042 said:
    AAAAHHHHH!

Yep, that's the consensus.

• Grampybone.3716Grampybone.3716 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018

For content I eagerly await what is coming, for me Living Season is all free bonus.

For Gem store I really hope ArenaNet cares for people with small to big wallet. I'm done buying inventory/bank slots, now I'm focusing on costumes and Home instance nodes. Sometimes it's expensive but I love this game and support it. After playing WoW since release and LOTRO and others this is where I feel at home.

But my most important advice is keep it interesting for everyone. Cheap skin items should be looking just as good as an expensive one. Give the expensive one an extra, some animation/effect. Like some card games have the default card and the golden one with animation. Please don't neglect the cheaper options, make the Gem store like a candystore, where everything looks nice, some stuff costs more than you currently have but there's plenty of other nice goodies to choose from. It should be a place that makes you smile instead of blindly focusing on items you cannot afford because the rest is bad.

• shippage.1983shippage.1983 Member ✭✭✭

Why does the community need to interact with you guys about the marketing at all? Why can't you guys just hire a professional like every other company! Saying the game has "mounts" doesn't mean anything to anyone, they want to see it as a living breathing world of customization and combat that is incredibly deep.

shippage.1983, Mesmer main
    I only PvP so almost all my comments are in a PvP context.

• necrofarmer.9704necrofarmer.9704 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018

Lets talk about marketing

I read there is a lot of interest in videos, from marketing point of view (and my experience) there is 3 parts of the video. 1 is the anticipation to the video (Hitchcock) 2 the part of the esthetic pleasure from watching the video (rhythm and effects) 3 the content (new information). I will start from the last one. ways to develop community content: (casestudy buzzfeed)

1. Emotional Gift: videos have to do with things that evoke emotional responses. This content is both internal and external as it typically uses external factors (puppy!) to affect us internally (awww!). We watch and share Emotional Gift content because when we feel an emotion like joy we want the people we care about to feel joy as well. This is the root of human connection. Things that affect how you feel. (KITTENS!!)
    2. Information: (do better on YouTube.) Videos are centered on things that are typically external. Informational and utility videos are often transnational in nature, where information is exchanged from one party to another. We watch and share Informational/Utility content because it has value to us in the form of better understanding the physical world around us and because it can educate us and the people in our lives. Things about your world. (19 Facts about gw2 gamers)
    3. Identity: (do better on Facebook) Identity videos, therefore, connect with us internally. We watch and share Identity videos because it allows us to better understand ourselves and those around us, and makes it easier to tell those around us who we are. Things about You. Who/What/Where/Why/When/How You Are. (Kitten owners that play gw2)

the second part of the video strategy you do very well, the trailers are well made.

The first part, here the things get interesting. you have really good reward system in gw2, why not implement it in the marketing?
    Drucker’s concept is characterized by mainly two new moments. Firstly, a different attitude toward people and variable rewards. He insists on communicating and motivating instead of ordering and controlling. And secondly, emphasizes the qualitative and measurement of achieved results. To add nuance, however, different reward schedules tend to produce different kinds of activity, and there are many different types of games with just as many different systems of rewards. Within the context of videogames, four different types of reward schedules can be described:
    1. Fixed ratio schedule: the community receives a reward (really cool trailer) after a fixed number of actions (likes\shares\stream views)
    2. Variable ratio schedule: the community receives a reward after a random number of actions
    3. Fixed interval schedule: the community receives a reward after a fixed interval of time
    4. Variable interval schedule: the community receives a reward after a variable interval of time

I wrote an article about gaming community, in short "The future of gaming in its online multiplayer potential. The new meaning created with the "with" of online multiplayer. As much there will be more repeatedly shared - there will be more meaning to it. It can be also by a viewer. Just like sitting at basketball game and excepting the meaning – the realness of the event – the "with" which acquires in it. Inspired by French contemporary philosopher Jean Luc Nancy. Being-singular-plural in video gaming."
    So what is the communities in gw2? it is not only the individual - it is servers and guilds. why to promote only gamers? there can be stream for a guild, server or location. I really like the part of wvw, I think what is special about gw2 is the guilds, it is not "lonely-player-farming-alone wars 2" it is GUILD (micro communities) wars 2. so why dont you promote guilds? for example stream guild raids. competition for the best guild trailer. There are really developed communities for wvw servers and individual websites for guild, and now new discord communities (you can stream there too). GVGs are fun too. but not every guild is gvg focused. The thing in wvw is also that guilds raid in different times, there is always a change in gamers on the server, 1 wvw guild raid finishes the second starts. or there is a leaders that lead for a few hours and then burn out and another change them. so the promotion needs to be micro communities, guild/raids/events/location. USER GENERATED CONTENT - give the community to do the animated shorts/trailers/other content ideas.

Part of building the anticipation for is that more viewers will watch the videos, so the video SEO need to be optimized on youtube. Is there optimized tags for the channel and individual videos? is there a seo optimized video and channel description?

well I can write about it forever:) I should stop....

• @Vegeta.2563 agreed :-)

• @Fenom.9457 anything I am implying is specific to how we are marketing the game.

• necrofarmer.9704necrofarmer.9704 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018

@shippage.1983 you’re right. I don’t need to interact with you about marketing and if you don’t want to interact about marketing I suggest you interact on a different thread that is unrelated to marketing.

Please do interact. maybe he dont know you - we all have a lot to learn from you about marketing and interacting with users. I respect arenanet as a business because of this approach.

<<134
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.