Building the immortal warrior

Nova.7261

I was wondering if anyone had advice for building a warrior that could literally face tank everything. Its not really designed to be practical, just allot of fun. Currently it is a mix of Carrion, soldier and a bit of whatever with the intent of maxing defense and doing enough to get full participation. I have tried using the specializations for PoF and HoT but they focus too much on damage and make the build very squishy. It is a build from before HoT, using defense, tactics, and disciple with banners. Weapons are sword/shield + longbow.

Two things to note is that most of its damage comes from bleed, it has sigils for stacking condition on kills and bleed duration. The other is that when attacking enemies under half health, it gets haste. Its bleed stacks go as high as 25 to anything directly in front of it. Also, this might be considered a third but the sword adrenaline skill doesn't do more damage past the first bar, it just immobilize more to make its low adrenaline gain a non-issue.

So yah, face tanking is fun and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to do it better.

• 2 weeks later...

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Well you could try to go full on sentinel armor and trinkets (difficult to get i know).With a norn in bear firm you have 60k health and huge defenses. And you got some power to kill stuff. Axe/shield and double mace would work well IMO for blocks, CC and mobility.

youd have mediocre power numbers and no crit or crit dmg, try killing stuff with that...and tbh you still wouldnt be that much of a tank, because atleast in wvw or pvp you wouldnt be a thread to anyone and they could just dmg you nonstop and with your lack if sustain eventually kill you without you doing anything

also ive met thiefes that did a 2 hit combo burst with backstab and shadowshot(the pistol one where you shadowstep to your target) which hit me for a total of 16k when i had 3,2k armor... with sentinel youd be at like 30k hp and 3,x armor, which he could burst through easily and had nothing to fear for, because you wouldnt be doing any dmg to him, even if you hit something

and in a full zerg it doesnt rly matter that much how tanky you are, if your positioning is bad, you will die anyways

@RedShark.9548 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Well you could try to go full on sentinel armor and trinkets (difficult to get i know).With a norn in bear firm you have 60k health and huge defenses. And you got some power to kill stuff. Axe/shield and double mace would work well IMO for blocks, CC and mobility.

youd have mediocre power numbers and no crit or crit dmg, try killing stuff with that...and tbh you still wouldnt be that much of a tank, because atleast in wvw or pvp you wouldnt be a thread to anyone and they could just dmg you nonstop and with your lack if sustain eventually kill you without you doing anything

also ive met thiefes that did a 2 hit combo burst with backstab and shadowshot(the pistol one where you shadowstep to your target) which hit me for a total of 16k when i had 3,2k armor... with sentinel youd be at like 30k hp and 3,x armor, which he could burst through easily and had nothing to fear for, because you wouldnt be doing any dmg to him, even if you hit something

and in a full zerg it doesnt rly matter that much how tanky you are, if your positioning is bad, you will die anyways

Well no offense but OP mentioned a fun build. In this regards i rather thought about a open PvE build. I dont know why PvPers always think something needs to be competitive to be fun.

@InsaneQR.7412he never mentioned what mode he was refering to, and i am a wvw player and there are alot of ppl who fight in zergs and just want a fun build that just tags everyone and get lootbags when the enemy gets wiped. and in that regard warrior isnt the best for that.

i dont know why PvEers always think their mode is the only existing one.

I've only managed to do it with a Necro.. I ran soldiers stats with minions + lifesteal.

The main rule of building something immortal is to balance your incoming health/sustain with the damage you recieve.Even with all the changes recently my MM can still facetank a lot of things in the game but I don't see how this could work for other classes..High armor, toughness and vitality will only get you so far and as far as I know Necromancer is the only class that can have several NPC's constantly feeing them health.

Best guess is to look into protection, blocking and evasion.. for other classes.. Warriors can have a fair amount of damage immunity and blocks.. Ranger and Thief have tons of evades.. and Guardians have lots of healing + protect and blocks.. so focus on maximizing those on a single build.

• 2 weeks later...

I main warrior for years now and like to make my character self sustainable. I use core warrior. Strength for GS might and regen. Defense for cleanse, cull of the weak and armored attack. Discipline for regular PvE (I use pretty much same build for PvP with different skills and a few trait changes) and tactics for Fractals if there is no might stacking and if there is another banner War. My gear is Knight's with rune of strength (will be demolisher once they release that for PvE) Mara GS and berserker for double axes, berserker everything else for trinkets and what not. 21k health, 3k defense, base 2700 attack, with might easily over 3k (100 blades hits 27k-31k consistantly and whirling axe hits up to 40k once at 25 stacks of might which usually only happens in a boss fight since it takes a weapon swap to hit 25 might. But when else do you need that much damage?) and my crit chance when using a banner hits 103%. My uptime for fury and might is over 100%. The stack duration for both keep going up. Some boss fights I'm over 2 minutes of fury. And might just stacks so quickly with the right sigils and rotation. War by far is the best all PvE content. I hit like a truck and its very hard to die. I solo most champions that spawn in Tyria. In expansions you obviously need some help just like everyone else. If you get low health, just swap to GS and 100 blades a mob. Every hit regens you for a little over 100 health, regen for healing signet and regen from banner if you know you are going against a tough NPC. Most of the time, I do not worry about my health because you regen with literally every hit. My favorite way to play GW2!

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Well no offense but OP mentioned a fun build. In this regards i rather thought about a open PvE build. I dont know why PvPers always think something needs to be competitive to be fun.

Because it's hard to have fun when you instantly die to a mesmer burst as soon as you enter a fight, or you limp chase a scourge in circles until you melt while doing no damage to anything. Even unranked is nothing but people tryharding with optimal meta builds, almost no one even tries to brainstorm their own thing or play a fun build. If there was a mode that banned all elite specs I'd play the shit out of that.

@Flauvious.6195 said:

Because it's hard to have fun when you instantly die to a mesmer burst as soon as you enter a fight, or you limp chase a scourge in circles until you melt while doing no damage to anything. Even unranked is nothing but people tryharding with optimal meta builds, almost no one even tries to brainstorm their own thing or play a fun build. If there was a mode that banned all elite specs I'd play the kitten out of that.

As i said, a PvE build. PvE builds are not competitive by nature. PvE builds can be fun without being competitive.Going into melee with scourge is blank out suicide. Snipe them down from a far and they are pretty much dead meat. Necros dont really have projectile defenses, but they have massive point blank AoE.Sometimes you have to adapt to other builds in PvP, thats basically what this gamemode is about.Well the idea of banning E-Specs in a certain match mode would actually quiet good. So base game players could play matches without getting obliterated by E-Specs.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Because it's hard to have fun when you instantly die to a mesmer burst as soon as you enter a fight, or you limp chase a scourge in circles until you melt while doing no damage to anything. Even unranked is nothing but people tryharding with optimal meta builds, almost no one even tries to brainstorm their own thing or play a fun build. If there was a mode that banned all elite specs I'd play the kitten out of that.

As i said, a PvE build. PvE builds are not competitive by nature. PvE builds can be fun without being competitive.Going into melee with scourge is blank out suicide. Snipe them down from a far and they are pretty much dead meat. Necros dont really have projectile defenses, but they have massive point blank AoE.Sometimes you have to adapt to other builds in PvP, thats basically what this gamemode is about.Well the idea of banning E-Specs in a certain match mode would actually quiet good. So base game players could play matches without getting obliterated by E-Specs.

I hate that "scourge counterplay" advice. Counter play is something anyone should be able to do. Like "don't hit spell breaker when he full counters", or "don't stand in dragon hunter traps". "Completley abandon your class and preferred playstyle and pick lb ranger so you can pew pew from 1500 range or you just die" is not counterplay, it's blatant evidence your spec is broken and terribly designed.

@Flauvious.6195 said:

I hate that "scourge counterplay" advice. Counter play is something anyone should be able to do. Like "don't hit spell breaker when he full counters", or "don't stand in dragon hunter traps". "Completley abandon your class and preferred playstyle and pick lb ranger so you can pew pew from 1500 range or you just die" is not counterplay, it's blatant evidence your spec is broken and terribly designed.

Warrior has range too and rifle is goid on power warr against scourges. I agree with you that it is bad design if you had to swap profession to counter another one. But adapting builds is not.I personally dont like to play LB ranger. I love playing condition full melee. But if i go into WvW i change to LB and GS/ Sw+WH, just because i know it is better suited for this kind of gamemode.

You cannot use everything you want and be viable in competitive or hardcore PvE. In open PvE or private competitions/guild arena fights you can do what you want and how you want it.

Thats how this game works, there will always be a meta and always be a counter strategy to certain specs, but there are always the aspcts of the game you can just roll withit and do what you like and what feels right.

Thats why i proposed this build. Its a fun build. Not competitive in any aspect, just a facteank build for PvE and soloing champs.

Ofcourse you can use non conpetitive builds in competitve modes, when you are effective with it its a viable build and surely does fulfill its purpose. If its not viable and you lose permanently with it, i assume its not fun to play if you lose. But blaiming the rest of the game that a particular build is not viable you want to play is not the way to go. You can make suggestions to improve certain abbilities on the forums or just try out new builds with friends.

In the end, there are counters, there are things other professions do better than others, there is always a meta. It can shift, but it never fades.Professions are unique and have specific capabbilities and you have to adapt your build to the builds if itgers to succeed.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

In the end, there are counters, there are things other professions do better than others, there is always a meta. It can shift, but it never fades.Professions are unique and have specific capabbilities and you have to adapt your build to the builds if itgers to succeed.

Right on mate. It's all about uniqueness. If any class can outplay any class using any build, that only means one thing: uniqueness died and everybody more or less functions the same.

• 8 months later...

Ignore everything everyone else has said and listen to me. Build FULL Sentinel ascended armor + trinkets + weapons. For Runes, take Superior Runes of Durability, Trooper, or Defender. And for Sigils, I'd advise taking Energy/Agility and Battle/Renewal (Warrior heals when gaining might). I use this build in WvW as a roamer and I literally can run into a group of 5 people, manage to kill someone then fall back. Sometimes I one man siege a keep with a Omega Armor or a Guild Ram if I'm in the mood.

You asked for Immortal, this is the closest you'll have. Win by attrition not brute force.

Alternative way to Tank is focus less on the Vitality and go into healing, this specifically if you go the shouts route given Shouts now use ammo. At two charges per those shouts provide a lot of heals and apply to your group as well. The Tempest runes give an added heal on stun break of over 2000. Classes that stun you a lot are helping you heal.

My version of tank going conditions WvW.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAsfTn8cAVegdeAmCCEliltAL5BE16Avb2PbpF5vFACdA-jliAQBvUJYZUG4RlIASfQ0OBAJ4IAow9HEpSLA8IA4k6PkCY09aA-w

Generally you run with ~20 stacks might so the heal base is higher using inspiring presence per shout. Every utility is a heal including the elite with self stun then break.

Archived