Move the pip reward chests to unranked?

Kalli.4506

I was just thinking, how would it be if the pip chest reward were moved to unranked during pvp season and let ranked be ranked? As it is now from my point of view it's a bit chaotic with everyone who's not really interested in pvp and only plays it to get the rewards are competing with those who try to play it seriously and actually enjoy pvp. Some of the reward farmers doesn't even care if they win or loose because they will get the reward anyway and i think that mentality are really hurting the ranked pvp experiance.

What do you think? Would moving the pip reward system to unranked help to change the pvp atmosphere to the better? If not, what do you think would help then?

As much as I would like that to work, we need some sort of other reward than just pride. There are not enough players to keep it going the way it would back before HoT.I believe that those interested in quality gameplay would still play ranked for leaderboards and perhaps something more, like rewards given at the end of a season based on ranks and overall personal stats performance? I don't know about the latter, it can be exploited easily.If that would mean less casual scrubs in a game mode made for proving our skill and not farming capabilities, I would gladly go for it, but only if there are more than a just a few dozen or hundreds people playing it. However, that is very unlikely to happen.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution for this.
The point of ranked having better rewards is to entice more people to populate it. A portion of great players may not be so interested in competing with no extra rewards because pride or status isn't what they are after solely.
As previous posted mentioned, it's an idea to have an end of season reward only for the top 250 and everyone else goes home with nothing but is that something that will drive people out if they consider their chances to be slim?

At this point it would be too late to implement but there was a different system in another MMO I've played before. This system allowed you to buy highest level gear (equivalent of ascended) only when you reached a certain rating. So for instance to buy gloves you need 1300 rank, shoulders -1400, etc. with the most valuable pieces like chest or weapons (actually stat distribution was such that boots had highest stats of any armor) only accessible to top tier players. Of course there were many other differences with the PVP format also, like real gear use which made it very skewed so that the best-equipped characters had a huge advantage. On the whole this made it completely p2w since upgrade components were ulta-rare ingame or easily purchasable in CS.

Could we have pip rewards in both modes? That way, choice of mode is based on the kind of competition you want rather than the rewards you can earn. I know the pips and backpack were initially introduced to try and entice more players into ranked, but having more players isn't always a positive experience if the only reason they're there is to farm rewards and they don't care very much about winning/competing. If there's a problem getting enough people into ranked play, simply adding more rewards to it only half-solves the problem.

As someone who plays mostly unranked, it would also be nice to earn the pip/chest rewards without worrying about dragging down my team or getting cursed at in chat because I make a mistake.

Sadly the first death strike to pvp was removing the glory vendors and making pvp area a pve reward area. I play pvp to gather tears from other players. I dont need a flashy armor to do that in lol. Removing all rewards from ranked would actually bring in people who want to pvp and not just collect shiny objects.

@Ziggityzog.7389 said:Sadly the first death strike to pvp was removing the glory vendors and making pvp area a pve reward area. I play pvp to gather tears from other players. I dont need a flashy armor to do that in lol. Removing all rewards from ranked would actually bring in people who want to pvp and not just collect shiny objects.

I would still play ranked if the only reward was tears

Splitting the already small pvp-population into unranked and ranked would be bad, since you dont want to wait an eternity for matches to start and you also probably dont want to play always with the same few people. Its a good thing that most people are in ranked now due to the better rewards.

"Play ranked seriously" - riiiiiight. As long as you didn't play a proper pvp game (like a MOBA) you can live that fantasy.The rest of us won't treat it like anything else as reward grind/minigame as long as:

• multiple profession stacking
  • no replay mechanic ingame
  • visual clusterfuck with 0 legitibility in team fights
  • complete blowout scenarios
  • god-tier-must-have-meta-builds running the show (especially elite spec ones)

are a thing.

Just play a few games of league of legends to see what a proper pvp rpg-themed experience feels like.

With towers blocking early game blowouts and enemy team farming yours at your base after first team fight.With crystal clear visuals and 0 doubts of who did what just now.With no same champion stacking per match in ranked games.With frequent balance patches that actually achieve balance to much greater degree then here.With ingame accessible replays to analyze and improve your game.With pre-match arrangement between allies of who picks what, so you don't end up tankless or cc-less in your game.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Just play a few games of league of legends to see what a proper pvp rpg-themed experience feels like.With towers blocking early game blowouts and enemy team farming yours at your base after first team fight.With crystal clear visuals and 0 doubts of who did what just now.With no same champion stacking per match in ranked games.With frequent balance patches that actually achieve balance to much greater degree then here.With ingame accessible replays to analyze and improve your game.With pre-match arrangement between allies of who picks what, so you don't end up tankless or cc-less in your game.

Fairly sure everyone knows what MOBA format is like, however this is not a MOBA and neither does it need to be. Yes, GW2 is not a game solely dedicated to PvP but there are plenty of players who only focus on arena or WvW.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:"Play ranked seriously" - riiiiiight. As long as you didn't play a proper pvp game (like a MOBA) you can live that fantasy.

What does "playing seriously" actually translate to for you ? When you "play seriously" is it for real currency payments? Saying one game is "serious"and the other is not implies you play one for recreation, and the other professionally. Just because a game like DOTA2 has a massive presence in ESports does not mean that the average player is "playing seriously".

Spoiler:unless you are financially gaining from any game, you are not playing any of them "seriously", you just chose to put more effort into one more than another - which is personal preference.

@"Kalli.4506" said:Some of the reward farmers doesn't even care if they win or loose because they will get the reward anyway and i think that mentality are really hurting the ranked pvp experiance.

What do you think? Would moving the pip reward system to unranked help to change the pvp atmosphere to the better? If not, what do you think would help then?

I think ... what you should understand in this sentence is :" ppl try to win but doens't care of they loose ... they want to win (cause more rewards etc) but the fact is ... if they can't win then whatever ...they won't be salty (or less) "

So I think ... that's not those ppl the problem. And in fact... that kind of ppl can solve salt problems in pvp (unless they afk tho ... that kind of behavior doesn't help)

Archived