HoT currencies and keys

With the addition of the key ring I haven't had to lug around keys in my shared slots, but I have noticed that I can't keep track of how many I have quite as easily anymore. After every meta I have to scroll through my currency storage and see how many keys I have and to know if I can open stray small chests on VB and AB, or if I only have enough to prioritize the large ones. It also makes DS slightly irritating when I port to a camp only to find out that I've run out of machetes. Currently the inventory shows karma as the main currency in every HoT map next to gold, in lws3 and s4 maps you see your unbound/volatile magic, and in fractals you see your relic count, raids show mag/gaeting, etc. Can the inventory be updated to show key count as the main currency instead of karma, it's a small QoL change but quite helpful!

@DyNasty Royal.6401 said:Can the inventory be updated to show key count as the main currency instead of karma, it's a small QoL change but quite helpful!

Apparently, it can't be done any time soon, due to some decisions made ages ago about how currency would be used in the game

Way back before launch, ANet intended that gold would be a common currency, karma would be soulbound, and there would be some tokens that you could use to unlock a few skins. There was no 'wallet' and each character kept their own gold, plus the bank could store some. In that context, the inventory display was setup to show just the only two meaningful currencies: gold and karma, both bound to the character.

Obviously, those notions are obsolete, but the decisions made about simplifying the UI are still part of the code. Thus to add multiple 'currencies' to the UI involves changing the underlying code to stop assuming what is or isn't currency and how much of it we might want to see.

tl;dr easier said than done(my reading of the dev comments suggested they'd like to see it too, just after other stuff)

Apparently, it can't be done any time soon, due to some decisions made ages ago about how currency would be used in the gameI don't doubt there's a lot of old code limiting certain changes. I just bring this up because they did add keys into the wallet very recently and PoF maps display trade contracts, so it isn't out of the realm of possibilities, unless they cant retroactively alter the currency displayed.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"DyNasty Royal.6401" said:Can the inventory be updated to show key count as the main currency instead of karma, it's a small QoL change but quite helpful!

Apparently, it can't be done any time soon, due to some decisions made ages ago about how currency would be used in the game

Way back before launch, ANet intended that gold would be a common currency, karma would be
soulbound
, and there would be some tokens that you could use to unlock a few skins. There was no 'wallet' and each character kept their own gold, plus the bank could store some. In that context, the inventory display was setup to show just the only two meaningful currencies: gold and karma, both bound to the character.

Obviously, those notions are obsolete, but the decisions made about simplifying the UI are still part of the code. Thus to add multiple 'currencies' to the UI involves changing the underlying code to stop assuming what is or isn't currency and how much of it we might want to see.

tl;dr easier said than done(my reading of the dev comments suggested they'd like to see it too, just after other stuff)

You do realize, you're totally wrong, right? Because it already shows the most common currency of that map (Geodes, Bandit Crests, Airship parts, Aurelium, etc) instead of Karma.But yeah, there's real-estate in that bar to show relevant keys to the map as well. Kinda like:FJgDm7o.png

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@DyNasty Royal.6401 said:Can the inventory be updated to show key count as the main currency instead of karma, it's a small QoL change but quite helpful!

Way back before launch, ANet intended that gold would be a common currency, karma would be
soulbound
, and there would be some tokens that you could use to unlock a few skins. There was no 'wallet' and each character kept their own gold, plus the bank could store some. In that context, the inventory display was setup to show just the only two meaningful currencies: gold and karma, both bound to the character.

You do realize, you're totally wrong, right? Because it already shows the most common currency of that map (Geodes, Bandit Crests, Airship parts, Aurelium, etc) instead of Karma.But yeah, there's real-estate in that bar to show relevant keys to the map as well. Kinda like:

I apologize that I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. Right now, we have a local currency plus gold, which is fundamentally similar to what we had originally: karma plus gold. There's also physically room for many currencies, including 'keys'. The problem is in the engine underneath that display, which still only understands 'currency' in the old way.

It's not a real estate problem; it's something that happens before the UI gets an opportunity to worry about space.

Keys fall under the category of "currency" in the same way trade contracts do in PoF maps, if they can make those appear in those maps then they could do the same for HoT. It would be nice to see multiple relevant currencies at a time, like crowbars and airship parts, or fractal relics and pristine fractal relics but I'm only asking that you just see keys and gold. IMO key count matters more when you are in the middle of DS or TD where you want to know if you have the resources to keep going, or to turn back and pick up keys.

I may be remembering it wrong and I can't seem to find the original topic now but I think when someone from Anet said they cannot add new currencies to the bottom of the inventory they were responding to a request to show more than 2, and ideally to let us customise which ones appear on which maps. (So for example if you don't care how many crowbars you have you could track airship parts instead in Verdant Brink.)

It might be that they cannot do that but they could change which two are shown. Of course it might also be that it's one of those things that's easy to set when a map is created and an absolute pain to try and change after it's done, like a lot of the info in my databases at work.

But I'd like to throw in my vote for this change to be made if/when it is possible to do. It would be extremely helpful to be able to see how many keys I have whilst looking at my inventory rather than the wallet.

Archived