Is Herald useless for fotm and raids now? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is Herald useless for fotm and raids now?

I recently started playing again (after revenant's boon duration got nerfed to 33%) and was wondering if that change basically removed herald from the game dungeon-wise. I have personal level 100, full zerker ascended with scholar runes, 150 AR, every fractal skin, ad infinitum, and almost every golden fractal skin but groups seem to prefer some extra dps over somebody with a massive amount of fotm experience. I'm sure raids are even worse for them right now.

Comments

• Azoqu.8917Azoqu.8917 Member ✭✭✭

Concerning raids, a few changes during that patch are the reason why Herald got basically removed from the game (though condi Rev is pretty decent). Not only did Nature get a decrease in power and their damage got nerfed, but Signet of Inspiration on Mesmer got nerfed because of WvW which caused the meta to shift to 2 Mesmers for quickness since one could no longer stack it on the whole group. Since there was a shift to two Mesmers (funny how a nerf to a class caused an increase in said class), there was no need for a Herald to help buff the duration anymore since two Mesmers did it instead.

In the latest balance, condi Rev became viable, though I don't know how accepting people are of it since no one in my static plays one so I haven't seen it first hand. The best use for your zerker armor is Guardian since it seems to be the only class with a viable power build (only Elementalist beats Guard for power damage, and then only on large hitboxes).

• Dang, I guess I'll hope the new revenant specialization is good. otherwise i'll have to main a new class

• Condition Revenant is a fine DPS build anywhere. It's not optimal, but it performs very well overall and has a fairly low skill cap. Power Herald and condition Revenant both are fine for Fractals unless you're doing 100CM where you really want the stronger, more specialized classes.

Valor Zeal [VZ] - Stormbluff Isle

• zoomborg.9462zoomborg.9462 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017

@haventr.1630 said:
    I recently started playing again (after revenant's boon duration got nerfed to 33%) and was wondering if that change basically removed herald from the game dungeon-wise. I have personal level 100, full zerker ascended with scholar runes, 150 AR, every fractal skin, ad infinitum, and almost every golden fractal skin but groups seem to prefer some extra dps over somebody with a massive amount of fotm experience. I'm sure raids are even worse for them right now.

Revenant got a significant damage decrease with nerfed sword aa(most of the dps came from this). The nerf to naturalistic resonance wasnt really big as 33% is still very strong. Revenant was pushed aside for 2 reasons.
    1) SoI got nerfed so u need 2 chronos to upkeep full quickness in a raid. And herald was the first candidate to lose it's place.
    2) Every single boon herald gives can be given by the current meta comp, every single boon, meanwhile most classes power or condi can outdps a hereld easily.

In a fractal scenario herald is in a tough spot. The meta comp for fractals still gives all the boons and craploads of cc making a herald irrelevant. Combine that with the dps beasts that tempest and DH are atm and u get the results.

On the other hand condi revenant is pretty powerful dps and with renegade elite, it is gonna become even stronger.

• savacli.8172savacli.8172 Member ✭✭✭

Revenant is pretty decent as a lazy-class. Not trying to be rude there, but toggling facets is the easiest way to produce a variety of boons without having to really worry about your build, traits, etc. So, for casual players it's totally fine.

However, like others have mentioned, optimally speaking other classes simply do it better by not only providing the same boons but also offering better damage on top of that.

• Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017

Your best bet if you want to offer support would be Renegade, it incorporates traits from the Condition build, uses the same Weapons, offers up a Condition Ranged Weapon, and supports through Offensive Buff Support; this is prefered in End Game PVE where the enemies you fight are mentally challenged since they are AI and killing things faster is preferable to avoid mistakes killing your group.

On the other hand Herald which has more Defensive Buff Support has a home in WVWVW.

It's the same conundrum that Reaper has, they're both very strong offerings that offer most to an End Game option that that's Open World Style PVP, with Opponents with Brains.

“The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.