[SUGGESTION] How to Name The New Worlds

eyestrain.3056

The proposal for world restructuring is interesting and full of promise- stale matchups have been a poison slowly killing wvw for years, and I think most players are ready to make the leap to try something new. But losing server identity will be an emotional toll for many players, especially those who have been on one server since the beginning of the game. A name, an identity, can be extremely important. When "randomized team names" were mentioned, I imagined those used currently in spvp. I pug a lot of spvp, and no matter what name I get, it means nothing to me unless it's a name I particularly dislike, and then it's a bother. I think it's a bit depressing to hang up a very meaningful wvw server mantle in exchange for something as meaningless as generic, random names like those.

Instead, what about using dye colors for the world names? Rather than "The Dementists vs The Privateers vs Femme Fatales" or whatever, how about "Pthalo Blue vs Electro Lemon vs Shadow Abyss"? "Valor vs Cinders vs Humiliation" or "Honey vs Pine vs Grape Gum"? It would make the upcoming name change at the end of the season a bit exciting to see if you'd get one of your favorites, rather than only feeling you're losing a name you'd gotten used to. There are almost 400 options and everyone probably has several favorites they'd hope to see, as well as some funny combinations. Dying our "jerseys" a variation of the world color might also help teams form a sense of connection more quickly at the start of each season. As far as randomly generated names go, I think this would offer players a new but familiar identity without being too permanent or too impersonal.

What do you guys think about the random names for future worlds? Do you like how it's handled in Spvp? Do you think dye names would be fun? Do you have some other idea that you'd love to see anet consider?

I think this is a great idea. While I'm not too fussed with the name of the world I'm in, I believe that a randomly generated name would be far less interesting than using dye colors. Doubly so as many players are familiar with the names of many dyes and I, for one, certainly have my favorites that I would love to see being used as world names.

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:Maybe a new name every week to keep it harder for guilds to game the system (or at least a little more confusing for them to), and to keep it so you don't always know who you're facing right away. It might also drive home more the importance of your alliance/guild for your identity.

They can't transfer for those 8 weeks, I imagine your point is why. Changing name every week wouldn't make a difference for that reason.

@Catty.3894 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:Maybe a new name every week to keep it harder for guilds to game the system (or at least a little more confusing for them to), and to keep it so you don't always know who you're facing right away. It might also drive home more the importance of your alliance/guild for your identity.

They can't transfer for those 8 weeks, I imagine your point is why. Changing name every week wouldn't make a difference for that reason.

As per Gaile's post it looks like you can transfer as an individual during those 8 weeks. I'm assuming the transfers will work similar to how they do now, but with just 3 tiers (1 being full no transfers allowed).

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

Transfers

Region Transfers

Transferring between regions, from NA to EU, will still exist. We have not determined the costs for transferring but a region selection will be available on the character select screen that will allow transfers.

World Transfers

We understand that even though this system tries to keep guilds and alliances together, there will be times during the season when people want to change teams. Because of this, there are plans to allow transfers between worlds during a season. This means that new worlds will have size restrictions on them, as they do currently.

Players will be able to select worlds from the WvW panel in game. Worlds that are available for transfers will show up in the new WvW world panel. Worlds can be in these three different states:

dbcd7table%5C_WvW.png

The cost of transfer worlds has not been determined.

I haven't WvW'd in years, I admit, so I don't think my opinion should have any weight here. Still I do like the idea of themed names, and dye colors do offer a lot of options with a direct tie in to the game. I'm going to miss being vicariously proud of TC and how it proved for years that being an RPer doesn't de facto mean doing poorly in WvW; color names will preserve some of that RP flavor.

I don't know about asking players to dress up in the team's name color, though ... there are some expensive dyes that could be listed!

@Donari.5237 said:I don't know about asking players to dress up in the team's name color, though ... there are some expensive dyes that could be listed!

I was thinking more of an opt-in just for fun. A cheap dye that looks similar would work the same way.I remember one of the first wvw guilds I was in, the leader distributed Grape Gum dye to every single member upon their recruitment. It was a goofy little extra that people could choose to use or not.

@eyestrain.3056 said:

Instead, what about using dye colors for the world names?

This is a brilliant idea! I really like the idea of people dying their gear to match the world they are assigned. Distinctive uniform colors have been used for centuries on battlefields and the tradition continues to modern sports teams .

I was going to suggest assigning two colors for world names, but that would get unwieldy. Also the other color would then be kept free for guilds to use it to match their own colors.

Although maybe they should keep the colors to the Common dyes to give the most number of players the ability to dye their gear when they go into WvW? Rare colors like Shadow Abyss or White would be less accessible so less people would be able to join in dying their gear.

• 2 weeks later...

@"DoctorOverlord.8620" said:Although maybe they should keep the colors to the Common dyes to give the most number of players the ability to dye their gear when they go into WvW? Rare colors like Shadow Abyss or White would be less accessible so less people would be able to join in dying their gear.

Some of my absolute favorites are rare dyes. I was thinking if something like "destroyer orange" came up, people could go with one of the cheaper orange dyes and still be included. It's possible people would be crappy and elitist about it but isn't that also a way to quickly find out who you don't want to keep playing with? :p

@eyestrain.3056 said:

@"DoctorOverlord.8620" said:Although maybe they should keep the colors to the Common dyes to give the most number of players the ability to dye their gear when they go into WvW? Rare colors like Shadow Abyss or White would be less accessible so less people would be able to join in dying their gear.

Some of my absolute favorites are rare dyes. I was thinking if something like "destroyer orange" came up, people could go with one of the cheaper orange dyes and still be included.If destroyer orange come up, everyone would just roleplay as Trump instead.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Some of my absolute favorites are rare dyes. I was thinking if something like "destroyer orange" came up, people could go with one of the cheaper orange dyes and still be included.If destroyer orange come up, everyone would just roleplay as Trump instead.

How do I 'thumbs down' a post :/

Archived