Alacrity and Phantasm changes discussion — Guild Wars 2 Forums
<1

Comments

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:
    I think that if it's implemented well, this change to phantasms could be one of the best things for the mesmer class since launch.

The alacrity change is kinda whatever. Chrono will still probably provide 100% uptime, so the only change will be dps benchmarks going down a bit.

Wouldnt the phantasm change be a buff to mirage in pve tho?

OriOri will prob be happy since she/he can now use shatters in pve as well id assume.

• bart.3687bart.3687 Member ✭✭✭

I can't believe they are about to change phantasms. After all these years... Quite surprising, but I think I'm happy to see this mechanic gone.

About the Alacrity change, well, it seems kind of like a nerf to me, but there's not enough info for me to judge yet.

I'm curious how these changes will impact the mesmer and its gameplay. Hard to say now. Gotta wait and see how it turns out to be.

Being pure badness since 2012.

• Pyroatheist.9031Pyroatheist.9031 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018

@zealex.9410 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:
    I think that if it's implemented well, this change to phantasms could be one of the best things for the mesmer class since launch.

The alacrity change is kinda whatever. Chrono will still probably provide 100% uptime, so the only change will be dps benchmarks going down a bit.

Probably, what about it?

Edit: Oh, you meant about benchmarks. Yeah, PvE mirage benchmark might increase depending on how this is implemented since that build isn't as reliant on actual skill cooldowns, but I was more referring to benchmarks across the board, since less effective alacrity will slow things down a little.

Ohey, I've got a signature

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭

@bart.3687 said:
    I can't believe they are about to change phantasms. After all these years... Quite surprising, but I think I'm happy to see this mechanic gone.

About the Alacrity change, well, it seems kind of like a nerf to me, but there's not enough info for me to judge yet.

I'm curious how these changes will impact the mesmer and its gameplay. Hard to say now. Gotta wait and see how it turns out to be.

Yeah IKR! These balance changes actually change something! Not just like +5% damage on necro axe or stuff like that.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

Probably, what about it?

Edit: Oh, you meant about benchmarks. Yeah, PvE mirage benchmark might increase depending on how this is implemented since that build isn't as reliant on actual skill cooldowns, but I was more referring to benchmarks across the board, since less effective alacrity will slow things down a little.

I mean it deff gonna be a buff. Clone mirage doesnt spawn pistol phantasms so having the ability to spawn them without overwriting the clones will be a massive buff id assume. If only there were power based clones as well. Speaking of summoning phantasms on top of the 3 clones slots this could possible bring even more visual clutter to pvp.

• Lalainnia.3598Lalainnia.3598 Member ✭✭✭

I think the clones being summoned are based off the mh wep your holding right?

• Arlette.9684Arlette.9684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018

Without having actual numbers, I can only speculate, but I think they will have to buff the phantasm attacks or lower the cds for them to compensate. Also I can totally see some form of creative shattering before the phantasms attack to maximize clone production.

Vae Victus!
    [Hcm] Promotraitor

• Sodeni.6041Sodeni.6041 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018

@Lalainnia.3598 said:
    I think the clones being summoned are based off the mh wep your holding right?

Yeah because there are no focus clones for example or pistol clones (not yet at least ;) )

Ya so if they are based on the MH weap that can get kinda insane for sword mirage at least mostly because of the mirage cloak skill and IH you can pretty much have a clone up and ready to daze from 1200 range unless the phant gets killed or cc;ed?

• It's amazing that they change one of the core mechanics of mesmer and for large scale WvW battles nothing will change, since our illusions are vaporized istantly anyway. I guess phantasms now will be vaporized twice: as phantasm and then as clone. But don't worry: we'll still be able to use our single trick to oneshot squishies!

As for the alacrity changes: you get so little in wvw that it will be probably unnoticeable (until a necro corrupts it and kills you with 17 different condis).

Am I disappointed? Nah, I stopped expecting anything from ANet since a long time...

I'm happy for my fellow PvE mesmers, though... it looks like it'll be a bit more fun to play there :)

Thats a good question what will alacrity convert to

@Menaka.5092 said:
    It's amazing that they change one of the core mechanics of mesmer and for large scale WvW battles nothing will change, since our illusions are vaporized istantly anyway. I guess phantasms now will be vaporized twice: as phantasm and then as clone. But don't worry: we'll still be able to use our single trick to oneshot squishies!

As for the alacrity changes: you get so little in wvw that it will be probably unnoticeable (until a necro corrupts it and kills you with 17 different condis).

Am I disappointed? Nah, I stopped expecting anything from ANet since a long time...

I'm happy for my fellow PvE mesmers, though... it looks like it'll be a bit more fun to play there :)

Consider: protected phantasms trait.

Currently it's useless. If a phantasm dies after 1 second, it's a waste of a skill. After this change, however, 1 second is long enough for many of the heavy hitter phantasms to do their thing, making the trait extremely powerful.

Aside from that, in most fights you can actually get a pZerker to do a successful spin even without protected phantasms. It dies shortly thereafter which is why gs mesmer is trash, but it may be possible to make a usable dps build using those interactions.

• @Pyroatheist.9031 said:
    Currently it's useless. If a phantasm dies after 1 second, it's a waste of a skill. After this change, however, 1 second is long enough for many of the heavy hitter phantasms to do their thing, making the trait extremely powerful.

Sure. I'll check the trait changes and find some niche build that will be playable for me and I'll try to have fun with it. That's what I did for the last 5 years :)
    (back in the days of core mesmer I actually ran that trait exactly for that reason)

But my first reaction is just that: I don't see anything of value for me in these changes because Illusions are a broken mechanic in large scale WvW.

@Menaka.5092 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

Sure. I'll check the trait changes and find some niche build that will be playable for me and I'll try to have fun with it. That's what I did for the last 5 years :)
    (back in the days of core mesmer I actually ran that trait exactly for that reason)

But my first reaction is just that: I don't see anything of value for me in these changes because Illusions are a broken mechanic in large scale WvW.

I'll be putting in at least an hour of testing a build I have in mind with DIE when these changes go live, I'll let you know how it goes.

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

About time they did something about phantasms but I'd rather see them go entirely, feels like we're holding onto something outdated. Why not have the mesmer perform an attack that produces a clone at the end? We could even get really wild and switch places with the clone afterwards like some kind of trickster illusionist....

Anyway a step in the right direction may actually log in again to test it out, I like alacrity becoming a boon, on the whole it's probably better for the game and going from 33% to 25% as Xyonon said in another thread makes very little difference so maybe don't bother with the change. Healer rev getting more support is nice.

• @Lalainnia.3598 said:

Slow. Cause it makes sense.

Chill, cause it's the reverse.

• Honestly tho... This is awesome.

This opens new avenues for shatter builds that use phantasms. Like... Have 3 clones up, summon three phantasms and shatter on the way, allowing you to have your clones automatically refilled by phantasms when they break, setting up the next shatter.

I can't wait to get into a build editor with this. I'm already knee deep in mirage. But it looks like I'm about to be much deeper.

All that said... If the confusion changes end up as a giant nerf.... Then I'll softly cry myself to sleep.

So... Can we get a post titled 'confused about the new changes?' that elaborates your changes to confusion and why? Right now, considering community opinion of older balance issues, people are biting thier nails down to the bone over this.

@Arlette.9684 said:
    Without having actual numbers, I can only speculate, but I think they will have to buff the phantasm attacks or lower the cds for them to compensate. Also I can totally see some form of creative shattering before the phantasms attack to maximize clone production.

They need to be mindful of builds that already perform well so we dont get another 40k dps mirage.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Menaka.5092 said:
    It's amazing that they change one of the core mechanics of mesmer and for large scale WvW battles nothing will change, since our illusions are vaporized istantly anyway. I guess phantasms now will be vaporized twice: as phantasm and then as clone. But don't worry: we'll still be able to use our single trick to oneshot squishies!

Aside from that, in most fights you can actually get a pZerker to do a successful spin even without protected phantasms. It dies shortly thereafter which is why gs mesmer is trash, but it may be possible to make a usable dps build using those interactions.

God new gs pbantasm is gonna be neat with mirage. Esp if you run the gm that allows clones to use ambush attacks.

Honestly this mesmer rework is a slap to chronomance and a buff to mirage feelsbad.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

OMG those phantasm changes sound AWESOME!!! :D

So so happy about this, going to be a nice buff for me.

IH hybrid | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• I'm pretty sure that chrono will go up in dps while quickness just gets harder to maintain. Alacrity will depend on the trait ( the values of improved alacrity)

• My general opinion is that anything can work if done right or fail of done wrong, but also that I only find so much use in speculating about the shadows on the wall.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• tartarus.1082tartarus.1082 Member ✭✭✭

I’m kind of curious what happens with chronophantasma

Did they say anything about that?

• Mithos.9023Mithos.9023 Member ✭✭✭

It was stated in the main tread that alacracy will convert to chill.
    See:

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

@Adriaen.7895 said:
    What is the condition corresponding to the new alacrity boon?

Chill.

• @tartarus.1082 said:
    I’m kind of curious what happens with chronophantasma

Did they say anything about that?

The Phantasm will attack twice instead of once.

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭

Holy kitten, I thought it might be something big since they said they were going to announce it before hand but I didn't actually expect they would go through with something this big.

Also since this semi confirms they do secretly read this board. waves

• @Levetty.1279 said:
    Holy kitten, I thought it might be something big since they said they were going to announce it before hand but I didn't actually expect they would go through with something this big.

Yeah I'm also kinda hyped that the changes are this big and that they finally want to improve active gameplay.

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:

Yeah I'm also kinda hyped that the changes are this big and that they finally want to improve active gameplay.

Yep, it's a good thing.

Honestly I'm expecting most of the changes to be significantly undertuned on release. I'm expecting power mesmer dps to take a big hit, quickness and alacrity to be exceedingly hard to maintain, and phantasms to be generally pretty meh. However, I'm hoping that they'll make good on their statement to monitor the changes and feedback and implement adjustments as necessary.

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭

Skill/trait changes from the thread:

Phantasmal Fury stays the same
    Chronophantasma lets the Phantasm attack twice before becoming a clone.
    Signet of the Ether's passive has been changed and heals when illusions are summoned. Active the same.
    Disenchanter removes multiple boons and deal significantly more damage.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

@Lalainnia.3598 said:

It's going to be funny when scourge converts it to alacrity and spams their f keys even faster now. lmao

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:

Yep, it's a good thing.

Honestly I'm expecting most of the changes to be significantly undertuned on release. I'm expecting power mesmer dps to take a big hit, quickness and alacrity to be exceedingly hard to maintain, and phantasms to be generally pretty meh. However, I'm hoping that they'll make good on their statement to monitor the changes and feedback and implement adjustments as necessary.

Pretty much what I think it's going to be like. What I'm puzzled by is why we still have phantasms being mentioned or summoned at all, it seems like a long way to do what? Not have to change tool tips? Reduce the number of changes? Be able to diversify traits?

I dunno I just think they should take the plunge and have mesmers only summon clones and simplify it to clone generating skills and clone consuming skills.

• @cptaylor.2670 said:

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

@Lalainnia.3598 said:

It's going to be funny when scourge converts it to alacrity and spams their f keys even faster now. lmao

Something tells me that Chill will still flip to Resistance, but I can't be certain of that, since they announced the boon/condition conversion tables will be getting some changes.

However, a Scourge with the proper trait will be able to get Alacrity by stripping it off of others. This trait directly competes with Sand Savant, so if they can do this, they have much lower radius on Shade skills and lower Shade uptime.

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• Exciton.8942Exciton.8942 Member ✭✭✭

Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

@Exciton.8942 said:
    Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

I think this could make party upkeep easier though, considering we can share it from boon rotations. Of course I'm saying this before I see the actual numbers so idk XD

• musu.9205musu.9205 Member ✭✭✭

@Exciton.8942 said:

the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.
    do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

@musu.9205 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

• Sila.6748Sila.6748 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

So...in laymen's terms - what is this going to mean for open world GS chrono user?
    I've been running a build my friend made for me for a few months now. I've only been playing for a couple months. I've FINALLY figured out how to use my mesmer and not just die to any legendary. I've mostly avoided shatters except for a few situations - F1 removes a condition from me. F3 helps breakbars. F4 is 'ohs**dontkillme'.
    I've found that phantasms do more damage, which is nice against even smaller enemies. Getting a bit overwhelmed with one of the DS meta bosses while your allies are going down? Throw down the GS 4 and let that phantasm take care of them while I revive an ally.
    Got a lot going on? I throw down all of my wells, timed with each other so that I get a burst of alacrity and each well (and skill) comes off cooldown in time.

I haven't even touched fractals, dungeons or raids. And a lot of this is going above my head. So phantasms are going to be completely useless for more than a split second or two of uptime. Basically, they'll summon and then get interrupted and die. Or they'll attack and die. Which really doesn't take much time for large group events like DS or VB metas. So the balance is shifting towards clones being the thing you want to have out now, not phantasms. Because what purpose is a phantasm if it's just going to die within a couple of seconds and your own cooldown is longer than that anyway?

I wish we had more information on what the "other" changes are going to be. I enjoy playing power-Chrono in open world. I enjoy using the great sword with the occasional sword/shield for extra attacks in between cooldowns. If I wanted to play Condi, I'd go play my Soulbeast ranger or my Rev.

I guess these changes are just confusing me. I'm neutral for them for now, until I figure out what it means for my situation. But not understanding it is leaving me disappointed. Open world stuff is still quite a bit different than PVP, WvW, and even raids. I don't always have the luxury of another party member's support boons, or having the optimal setup. Sometimes you just deal with what you got.

Also, these alacrity changes confuse me too. I barely understand how alacrity works still, all I know is spam wells and shatters = alacrity = people happy and cooldowns come up faster. I don't do numbers, I have dyscalculia, and it just overwhelms me. I play for fun, but changing up everything I spent the past few months grueling out trying to learn from level 1 is just annoying.

• I don't know where this will lead and I am frankly very afraid, but thank you for finally having the courage to address the terrible design decisions that were made about Mesmer in the game's initial development. That it took SIX YEARS to do something about them, on the other hand...

@tartarus.1082 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

well chrono will be dead since it will have no real sustain damage .

@musu.9205 said:

@tartarus.1082 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

Not really? You never left phantasms alive anyway, you either shatter them or they died. This just means they do more before they die.

• Exciton.8942Exciton.8942 Member ✭✭✭

@tartarus.1082 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

The traditional condition chrono is definitely dead with the change to phantasm.

But it will probably be an overall buff to power burst with new phantasm skills.

Alacrity as a boon in PvP can be a problem though. With the abundance of scourges, and alacrity being corrupted into chill, it could work more against you than in your favor.

• @Pyroatheist.9031 said:

it doesnt change alacrity but could affect quickness since, shield 5 quickness swap to alacrity now..

• Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018

I'm overall excited for these changes as I much rather enjoy playing more interactive shattering builds, even in pve.

However, I am also concerned people who are new to the game and play base mesmer are going to get hit pretty hard.
    Additionally, with that said, know nerfs are:
    1. tides of time no longer produces quickness
    2. alacrity can now be corrupted
    3. Alacrity at 33% reduced skill recharges by 25%. Alacrity at 25% reduces skill recharges by 20%. This means alacrity is getting nerfed by 20%.
    4. Chronophantasm no longer helps with illusion upkeep and illusionary reversion is still nerfed because of it.

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xstein.2187 said:
    I'm overall excited for these changes as I much rather enjoy playing more interactive shattering builds, even in pve.

However, I am also concerned people who are new to the game and play base mesmer are going to get hit pretty hard.
    3. Alacrity at 33% reduced skill recharges by 25%. Alacrity at 25% reduces skill recharges by 20%. This means alacrity is getting nerfed by 20%.
    4. Chronophantasm no longer helps with illusion upkeep and illusionary reversion is still nerfed because of it.

Chronophantasma is going to be changed regardless. Phantasms can't be shattered after these changes, so that trait cannot remain the same. Wait to see what its changed to before you complain about it.

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Xstein.2187 said:

Chronophantasma is going to be changed regardless. Phantasms can't be shattered after these changes, so that trait cannot remain the same. Wait to see what its changed to before you complain about it.

Gee already said that chronophantasma will now make phantasms attack twice before turning into a clone instead of once.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@tartarus.1082 said:

@musu.9205 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

Not really? You never left phantasms alive anyway, you either shatter them or they died. This just means they do more before they die.

look at bigger picture , your sustain dmg or burst if you play with signet of illusion is from frequent shatter including phantasm which give you double dmg source . without that , double shield phantasm attack isnt going to do much , 1) you can't shatter it until it become clone , 2) you won't have another phantasm/clone after shatter .quickness on shatter might be better choice than chronophantasma .

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.