Mesmer changes vs Revenant beta

AllNightPlayer.1286

Yea I'm feeling the same way. Mesmer excels in every game mode and every group wants a mesmer (some call it a requirement). So lets spend the limited development resources on making that class better.

Our only hope is that the changes to alacrity benefit us in some way and we can eat the mesmer's table scraps.

It should be noted that there are a bunch of us that like the class as it is. Sure, revenant isn't perfect and could use some work in some areas, but that's pretty much the case for every class/aspects of classes.

I would be legitimately worried about a massive rework the size that mesmer is getting but for Revenant, especially if these mesmer changes go poorly or take forever to balance properly. There's a high chance that these mesmer changes will shred a bunch of existing builds and mesmer will be left with fewer options, or they'll become even more OP in certain areas. Couple this with the fact that balance patches are slow and mesmer might be left in a place of disrepair for 3, 6, 9 or more months before getting toned down or buffed properly again.

Now apply this to revenant with major changes to its mechanics and you can see why I'd be genuinely concerned, especially since the devs only preview changes a week before and then release and never give us a chance to test them. My favorite class could get shredded or become something completely different that I don't want to play if they release a major rework. I don't have faith in them to do it well for revenant or mesmer, honestly, nor do I see a reason to completely revamp either class.

Revenant is functional in 2/3 game modes at the moment and isn't too far behind in pvp either if you know what you're doing. It's a high skill cap class and I would hate to see it be dumbed down to appease all the people that want to make it even more like other classes. It's okay for Revenant to have it's own identity and be different from the other classes, even if the mechanic isn't appealing to everyone who has tried the class. I don't particularly love guardian or warrior, but I respect those that do and wouldn't call for major changes to all of their core mechanics.

This of course doesn't mean that I think things like broken underwater combat should go unfixed or unattended, quite the opposite. As a Revenant main since HoT release, I'm just incredibly wary of any major overhaul of core mechanics that do work, even if some people don't like them, and the subsequent balance hell that would likely occur for 6-12+ months after and the potential for even worse or less appealing gameplay

Every class has lots of skill restrictions for underwater combat, whether or not it's lazy development is debatable, but it's at least somewhat put behind a wall of logic/lore (i.e. non magical fire doesn't work, big stone dwarf legend channeling wouldn't work/would sink, traps don't work since you can't 'step' on them, etc...)

Complaining about not being able to use all your legends underwater is crazy because underwater combat represents like 1% of total gameplay, revenants have one of the most op underwater kits in actual use, and it's literally only a problem if you're level 1-20. And if you're level 1-20, everything just dies in one hit anyways, so it doesn't matter.

And as for the mesmer changes... You should be more concerned how this affects Renegade. Chrono's alacrity uptime is going to be bonkers and insanely easy to maintain now, which will discourage people from trying to fulfill this role with a Ren. Also, the 8% effectiveness decrease on Alacrity is going to really mess with Renegade's dps rotation as it was already incredible tight to get all your skills off.

Archived