Questions about Action Cam: auto-target line of sight // don't target friendlies

I'm finally coming back to GW2, after spending some time in SWL and learning to like their camera mode, and now having much more fun using the Action Cam in GW2.

Two things annoy me, though:

1) I have to manually target an enemy to make sure I hit him. Why can't the target switch to who is in front of me, unless I actually mark an enemy first?I know I can still attack, but if I have a target, it gets attacked, even if someone else is right in front of me (and of higher priority, as the one the system thinks I want to attack isn't carving up my face...)2) When there are lots of NPCs and players, I often target friendlies - is there a way to disable this?

Make sure you have Autotarget and Promote Skill Target options on, both of which I find crucial when using Action Cam. Also, you can select new target by hovering the reticle over your desired target, and right clicking.

As a matter of fact, here are my Targeting options, for reference.

nCJ1Gwo.jpg

I did the opposite instead, turned off Autotargetting & Skill promote. I use my tab key to swap between my targets (with stop auto attack on target change on). Might take a while to get used to press the tab key. Configured it that way mainly because I use gs skill#3 (Swoop) to move forward (especially in WvW). With my settings, it prevents me from dashing to random nearby targetables caused of autotargetting.

I just noticed something interesting - not sure if this is known and intended or a weird effect, but anyway:

Usually in action-cam, Auto-attack doesn't work - so I have to hold the mouse button.But when I hold the mouse button, then use an attack (on the same enemy of course), I can leave the mouse-button and suddenly auto-attack works just fine.

Auto-targeting is funny sometimes. What I've noticed particularly is in champion fights it will target anything and everything EXCEPT the champion you're trying to aim at. UNLESS you need to target the adds (for example when doing hab in Bloodstone Fen there's a part of the fight where he goes invulnerable and you have to kill the adds - then it auto-targets the champ only). It's absurd. The problem is that with all the visual clutter in big fights sometimes it's hard to do manually so I end up hitting tab over and over hoping to eventually target the right thing.

Archived