Comments

• Could you add an RSS feed for the dev posts? I found it the most useful feature of the old forums.

• Honest John.4673Honest John.4673 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017

There is too much clutter between each post. It gets worse when people Thumbs Up/Down with the added giant squares.

• Can we get a small alteration to the way the notification pop up works. It sticks the box in the middle of the page, so it can be kind of disruptive. A nice alternative would be for it to appear in the top left or right corner of the browser.

• I am very pleased with the new look and have few complaints aside from what's been said already, there does need to be a Nightmode as white can be very blinding or hard to read for some people. But, everything else I can live with thank you for all of the hard work that you do Arenanet.

• @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

I have a question: I checked the "How do I...?" section and I didn't see anything about Private Messages. How do we send those?

Same question here: How to send private messages?

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is there a alternate theme? It is confusing for my eyes (as I scroll down) because each post bit is not very distinctive Likewise the threadlist is not very distinctive. I like distinctive neat and clean designs because it is easier on the eyes.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Too much empty space. Have to scroll way too much. Also cant see at a glance if there was new post in the sub forum or no. Also need nightmode.

• Loving the new forum!

• takatsu.9416takatsu.9416 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, agreed with several others, there is a bit too much whitespace. This might also be largely related to how horizontal the page stretches which causes the white space to be overdone. If for example u squeeze in the page width, the white spaces are a bit nicer and helps to divide between paragraphs of text. Still, there is a bit too much. Also the avatar images are pretty big compared to the each post. Those thumbs up images that collect... yeah that is really crazy in size lol! Those should be reduced in sizes, particularly as these class or related images are familiar to us and there aren't many details to look at. Font sizes for the report, helpful, thumbs up thumbs down, can also be reduced so it's less distracting. Or perhaps removing the text and just leaving icon buttons like the old forums would be better.

There are also many helpful pinned threads in the old forums. Are we going to have to manually bring them over? Will the OPs have to do this or can ANet staff help mass migrate at least the pinned threads that are helpful.

• This new layout is very loud and complicated. Differentiating between stickied posts and regular post is harder than before. The multitude of colored icons and what have you detract from the posts by being way to contrasting to the rest of the layout.

As a colorblind i have a veeery hard time seeing the thumbs up/down icons over the avatar icons.

Downvoting is going to be abused. WoW forums had similar function and was eventually removed because of abuse. May be an issue on my end, but the avatars themselves are pixelated and generally muddy and ugly. I cannot see if i have upvoted a post or not.

• Why are Signatures showing "Do Not Have Permission" ?

• Signatures are something you unlock, they are not given right away. So... give positive feedback and you'll unlock more things.

• TheUndefined.1720TheUndefined.1720 Member ✭✭✭

Suggestion:

Remove Thumbs Down (and possibly Thumbs Up as well) or change the term to a neutral vote.

Reason: A thumbs down / thumbs up vote detracts from the point of using the forums. Forums are meant to share and spread ideas as well as discussion. These votes offer an optional and less communicative form of response that is not in line with discussion. These votes may also be used for harassment or point of reference for someone's feedback ( example; "I want the Disney logo as my icon" Thumbs up x1000, thumbs down x2 - "See! We should have a copyrighted logo!").

Suggestion: Change the thumbs up / thumbs down to neutral votes - examples: Insightful, Profound, Deep, Ritlock-Approved, Quaggan-tastic, Kitten!, etc... Neutral votes at least won't 1. detract the conversation with a little flavor text and 2. won't inspire harassment among members.

Additional thoughts: In general, people need to be able to take criticism. The forums are a great place for discussion and challenging ideas. However, they shouldn't be filled with a handfull of posts and hundreds of votes.

• I genuinely enjoy and love these forums over the old ones.
    I think for most people, the changes will grow on them and they will eventually come to accept it.

• smitske.4912smitske.4912 Member ✭✭

Too many icons for too many things (users upvoted liked whatever) while there isnt much text. The icons should IMO either be removed or made significantly smaller for things such as likes. The division between posts should be better. I also think we should only work with 1 voting item, thumbs up or helpful, the rest is just clutter and thumbs down leads to negativity.

The number of possible avatars should be bigger or we should be able to customize them, simple put it is very hard to quickly identify users from these avatars.

Longer edit time, I already dislike there is a limit but this one is very short. it encourages making extra posts (bumping) instead of adding to the original.

• TheRandomGuy.7246TheRandomGuy.7246 Member ✭✭✭

@Penguin.1345 said:
    As a colorblind i have a veeery hard time seeing the thumbs up/down icons over the avatar icons.

They are barely visible shapes for not colorblind too tbh.

• Firefox does not work to access the forums. Had to switch to IE to login. Was using Firefox ver 53(32bit), would not recognize user name and password. Noted, after switching that the accept rules check box did not appear on login screen with Firefox.

• It scales quite bad on tablets (chrome 60, android 6, 1920x1200) screenshot

• syntohras.1064syntohras.1064 Member ✭✭

and pls more avatars!

• too much white colour for my eyes

• SunTzu.4513SunTzu.4513 Member ✭✭✭

After reading a few posts and topics i feel a little bit overwehlemed by the mass of avatars everywhere. Would be nice to have some options to reduce this picture/avatar overkill. When the first signatures will comming in imo it will even harder to get a stringent short overview to see in the posting history on a topic.

• Assic.2746Assic.2746 Member ✭✭✭

I am not the fan of the new post's style. Threads seem cluttered. It's hard to notice where one post ends and another starts. Please consider making a space between posts bigger or make the line which separates posts more visible or both.

Also could we have an option to have a hyperlink at the end of each quote to the actual quote. Because sometimes people change it or the quote itself shows only half the idea.

• @omica.6548 said:
    Firefox does not work to access the forums. Had to switch to IE to login. Was using Firefox ver 53(32bit), would not recognize user name and password. Noted, after switching that the accept rules check box did not appear on login screen with Firefox.

Interesting - I'm on Firefox ver55 (32bit) and haven't had any problems with the forums thus far. Maybe it's because you have an outdated browser version?

• How does ANet plan on using the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down feature? Will it be used to impact the strength of feedback provided? Right now it just smacks of being a popularity contest which is maybe what was intended, I don't know.

• Don't like it... Feels like this is made for tablet/mobile screens..
    On the old forums you had a better overview and could fit more information on your screen..
    I wish web devs would stop this whole "mobile" dev craze/trend...
    This is not the forum of some stupid mobile game but a PC game... Hence you come to the forums on a PC with a big kitten HD monitor which can fit a lot of info on the screen... Now everything looks bloated and "in your face" in stead of clean and organized...
    The avatars are nice but could easily be implemented on the existing forum.. I see no use for a UI overhaul...

• Grebcol.5984Grebcol.5984 Member ✭✭

@syntohras.1064 said:
    There should be badges for players who play this game since RLS/HoT ect. A bit weird to be only "a Member" now.

Yes this is weird that there isn't even any badges for playing this game soo long. I started in 2012 Headstart but now im a recruit too lol.

I saw an another problem. It looks like that Profiles are not shared between languages. I did need to change my avatar at the german forum AND here. Same with comments ect. Why not sharing it across all languages?

The edit timer is stupid i do not like this.

• mulzi.8273mulzi.8273 Member ✭✭✭

Would like to see the date in addition to the time on the posts. Hard to tell which posts are from what days unless you hover over the time with the mouse to see the date.

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭

Too much clutter. I quite dislike the layout. Some things are far too obtrusive, like the " Report Quote Helpful Thumbs Down Thumbs Up " line beneath every post. I don't need to see that 6 times on one page if it has some short posts. I prefer how the old forums squashed all of that discretely in a corner. The "actual content" density is too low.

Functionally, I think it's an enormous improvement.

• Electro.4173Electro.4173 Member ✭✭✭

Just a couple suggestions so far from me...

~ Move the "Draft saved" message to the bottom left corner of the screen, instead of having it pop up in the middle of the screen, which could put it right in the middle of your reply box depending on how you have your screen positioned.

~ Upload some larger images for the avatars so they don't appear so blurry when they aren't at their minimum size.

~ Post-related notifications don't seem to be working properly. People quoting me don't show up in my notifications tab, nor does anyone "tagging" you with @username. I suspect it has something to do with the way display names are formatted, the system seems to be cutting off at the "period" and not getting the numbers, thus not actually getting your display name "right". LIke, any time someone quotes something else, you see that only the first part of the name (before the period) is actually in red / part of the username, the period and after are black. Needs to be adjusted to account for the period and numbers somehow.

• Hopefully they make the avatars a little smaller and have a way to get "permanent" links to specific comments made by users.

• Aomine.5012Aomine.5012 Member ✭✭✭

Honestly I like the old one alot better.

The old one is clean and concise and not overly complicated.
    The old one can edit your post without time limit (15 mins for new one)

To make matter worse, the new one includes downvote feature, on top of being visible!
    It can even generate in game conflict because people might whisper to the downvoter ingame for downvoting their post.

• Bug I just found -

If you quote a post, the username of the person you quoted is a broken link and doesn't lead to their profile. Something in the coding leaves off the numbers, and so the link only goes to the name part (so for example, using my username, it links to Verene, instead of Verene.1480). This throws a "Profile not found" error, since the numbers are part of the profile name.

• Tyche.4072Tyche.4072 Member ✭✭

The new forums look good, but I think it will take a bit of getting used to, the layout feels a lot bigger, perhaps there will be a feature to change the scale of the forums? Or will I just have to CTRL+scrollwheel to change it myself. Right now it feels like the forums are a bit too big. Otherwise so far, things are clean and nice.

• TheOneWhoSighs.7513TheOneWhoSighs.7513 Member ✭✭

Since I can't edit my post again (There's a 15 minute limit), here is the latest CSS changes I've made.

I removed the reaction stuff other than helpful, and I've fixed an issue where I accidentally blacked out some icons up top (Welcome to cascading style sheets :P).

I still haven't started on addressing the front pages & indexes, only the forum threads themselves.
    Got work that I actually have to go and do now XD.

@Gaile Gray.6029 I strongly recommend you guys consider decluttering & create better separation between posts.

As well as ditching your font. Eww.

body * {
    font-family: helvetica, sans-serif !important;
    color: #333333;
    }
    .Section-Discussion .Content .Item-Header::after {
    background-image: none;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #333333;
    }
    .Section-Discussion .Content .Item .Item-Body::after {
    background-image: none;
    }
    .Section-Discussion .Content .Item {
    border-bottom-width: initial !important;
    }
    .DataList .Item {
    background: none;
    }
    .ReactButton {
    border: 1px solid #e1d9d9;
    background-color: #f9f9f9;
    border-radius: 5px;
    padding: 5px;
    }
    .Section-Discussion .Content .Item-Header .Meta time {
    color: #333333 !important;
    }
    .RecordReactions {
    display: none !important;
    }
    .ReactButton-Dislike {
    }
    .ReactButton-Like {
    }
    .MeButton * {
    color: #c3c3c3;
    }

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

I dislike the thumb up/thumb down portraits under posts, it's way to overkill, either make them smaller or remove them and just show the names when clicking on the number of thumb ups/downs, as used with facebook likes.

What I do like, the bookmarks and the notifications.

• Dahkeus.8243Dahkeus.8243 Member ✭✭✭

The new forums look great!

But...linking images is really glitchy. I posted a reply to one of the "show your character" threads and found that if you link more than one image, it just chooses one of them and hides the other two.

Also, the image tag shows the name of the image file as the text. Is it possible to change this? Almost everything posted is all going to have some jibberish file name due to the way that sites like Imgur handle uploads.

tl;dr: Linking multiple images causes problems and hides all but one image (bug). Image text is file name, which just doesn't work well (feedback)

Edit Also, apparently the alt text section of the image markdown code doesn't work when linking an image, so no matter what you put between the brackets, you still just get the file name as the text. (bug

• It doesn't seem to allow edits past a certain time limit (15mins?). I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly but if I am...

Suggestion: Allow infinite edits at any point in time.

Reason: People type fast and make dumb typos. People also change their minds and may want to come back and change a harsh comment to a softer comment, an insulting comment to an approachable comment, etc. Taking the power of editing out of the control of the poster is not fair.

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

The "Helpful", "Thumbs Down" and "Thumbs Up" doesn't bold or change color or whatever after pressing, in other words, there is no obvious indication if you have pressed it or not pressed it.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• @Mobilizer.6278 said:
    I would hide who thumbs up and thumbs down so that players don't have a chance of being harassed in-game.

Or on the forums. I think all the avatars and names of who thumbed up and thumbed down and helpful marks should be invisible save to the forum moderators (someone else suggested this, so I'm adding this idea to the thread)

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

The icons are the biggest problem. Firstly, they overwhelm the post so that they become more important than the post itself by drawing the eye away from the text. That makes it messy, harder to read and just opens so many opportunities up for trolling. I am a bit surprised a community savvy company like Anet didn't think about harassment via its forums as a side effect here.
    Secondly, forums are a place for constructive feedback and ideas to discuss or be used by the dev team. They aren't meant to be a popularity contest.

The homepage is clearer, although the white is an eye killer still

Great to have a better mobile experience and search engine.

It appears editing is on a timer? That could be problematic if we need to update a post?

To be honest, ditch the thumbs up/down icons and it'll probably be fine. Right now, threads are messier than Reddit

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Please invert all colors. This white hurts my eyes

• As other before me I would say that the portraits for Thumbs Up/Down and the other reaction are not very good in my opinion. Otherwise, it will be possible to be harassed in game and also they have a size that is too big.
    Sometimes (in this thread too) you can see a lot more space occupied by the portraits than by actual words...

Also, we need more avatars :grin:

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@omica.6548 said:
    Firefox does not work to access the forums. Had to switch to IE to login. Was using Firefox ver 53(32bit), would not recognize user name and password. Noted, after switching that the accept rules check box did not appear on login screen with Firefox.

I'm viewing these forums on Firefox right now, not sure what version though. My system is 64 bit. It didn't ask for name/password -- just popped me right in (I was already logged in on the old forums).

Feedback: I think there are good things here (that Saved Draft popup is a good sign, eg), but will comment on the things I'd like changed thus far.
    1) A duller background color. Parchment rather than blinding white. While I do not like white text on black backgrounds, I still need something a bit less glaring, so long as the text is still dark on pale.

2) A return to top of page button. It's less vital since there is a navigation button at the bottom to move to other parts of the forums; still, it's helpful to have that. I suppose pressing "Home" will do it, however.

3) More avatar choice. If we are to have avatars, expand the options enough to allow individuality. As I noted in the specific thread on this, just giving access to all the in-game icons would expand things dramatically. As others have commented, finding a way to get a dedicated character face snapshot would be awesome. Perhaps an in game location we can go to with minimal pose/expression control that then takes a picture for the forum account? That gives ANet control while giving players options.

4) I understand that the hardware for the old forums is dying. But there are years of information there, including ANet policy statements and very helpful how-tos for achieves, for example. I wonder if anyone is able to set up a mirror site for archival purposes? Knowing all that history is going to be yanked in a month is heartbreaking.

5) I've seen people write that there is not an image embed feature. I hope your coding is flexible enough to add this asap. Pictures are often worth a thousand words. Whatever the flaws of the old forums, the ability to easily load in images direct from one's hard drive to illustrate bugs, humor, character looks, and the like was wonderful. Miles ahead of any other forum I frequent where one has to first go to an image hosting site, save, then copypaste the url. Please bring that back.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.