Comments

• Paralux.6714Paralux.6714 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017

The forums looks nice, however I have a few suggestions:

• Let us upload our own avatars or remove the new ones. If avatars aren't for personalization then it's unnecessary to even have them.
    • Make the icons which show which members has pressed "helpful" or "thumbs up" a lot smaller. Or, I have two ideas; either just have the user's names displayed in a small font at the bottom of the post in this format "user123, user456, user... (helpful or a lightbulb) user678, user999, user... (thumbs up or a thumbs up)" or display a list of members that has pressed (for example "helpful") when hovering the option.
    • Increase the spacing between the posts or have something else separate them, like a line or make the post background a few s-h-a-d-e-s darker than the forum background.
    • I'm a little sceptical towards the "thumbs down" cause I feel like it might create unnecessary conflicts or irritation.
  • Turamarth.3248Turamarth.3248 Member

Positive :

• Working search engine
    • Helpful/ Thumbs Down/Up is more transparent than the old +1 system

Negative :

• Loss of old content
    • Tags (closed, dev response etc.) for the threads are far less obvious than the old visual indicators
    • Time limit on editing posts
    • In my opinion the whole user avatar system just adds useless clutter. We only have a few images available, so they don't help in recognizing the user.
    • No date of the post visible unless I hover over the time
    • No preview of the posts in the dev tracker
    • No indicator whether there are new posts in a subforum after I my last visit
  • I actually like the mobile layout more. Each comment having a slightly grey background to distuingish from comment to comment is really nice. All that empty space on the desktop version is gone as well. The vote icons are smaller relative to the text size, and the helpful/thumbs down/up stands out less on the mobile version.

• I'd also like a more compact view. All these icons and whitespace are nice, but it's harder to read than the old forum.

• Kyban.4031Kyban.4031 Member ✭✭

It's nice but I miss the old Dev Tracker where I could skim the actual posts without having to drill into the thread to see if it was something I'd be interesting in looking into more, right now it's hard to tell what the dev might be saying at a glance (also keep it in order of dev posts not which thread has been added to most recently). It would also be nice if the icons of the people who "voted" on a post where hidden, at least to start with, then could be expanded if you're interested in seeing that, right now it just adds a lot of clutter.

• Bloated, ugly, and cartoonish. Can we bring back the old format? Also all of the history of posts and other such things I was following are missing? Maybe I just have overlooked it?

Being underestimated is one of the biggest competitive advantages you have!

• Ij my eyes the new dev tracker is much worse than the old one. I am not able to see which dev posted or how many devs posted in a certain thread. The old tracker was much more convenient. I could see who has where and what.

• Already put this in another thread before I saw this one (still kinda lost in this layout atm) but here are my impressions:

Going to give it a chance but feel like they need to fiddle with the layout a bit more.
    There is a lot of space between post text vertically because of the likes and giant usernames. There is also a lot more horizontal room which makes lines pretty long unless you resize the window (maybe its better on mobile).
    Seems like it would be good to put the username and likes on the left with the icon and set a fixed width more in line with the previous forum. I'm guessing this works better on mobile though and that is why it was done like this though I think a good medium should be more friendly for desktop users. I guess I can use browser extensions to modify the layout myself on desktop though if it comes to it.

I might also suggest that draft saved dialog just show up inline somewhere because its popped up over things a few times now. Seems to be a bit in the way sometimes.

On the good side though the new features are pretty nice.

• I have to say, I'm not fond of the 'Logged out due to inactivity' feature.

Nor the bug asking you to log-in when you are already logged in. If, of course, that is a bug.

• Kossage.9072Kossage.9072 Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the new forums! :)

According to the announcement on the GW2 main page, the plan is to keep the current forums accessible in an archived, read-only mode until the end of October, and the team won’t be migrating normal content from the old forum’s database into the new one.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do, but I'd like a way to at least preserve dev comments from the old forums in some readable form as many of those offered valuable insight into game mechanics, lore (such as clarifying some confusing plot elements like the great responses back in Season 1 about the motivations of Scarlet and Scarlet's Alliance, Dolyak Express threads) etc. that will be lost once the old forum content becomes inaccessible.

Having this old developer information accessible far into the future would not only help with fleshing out GW2Wiki articles with references to said comments but also give us a means to show curious players where to find information us veterans may be referring to when talking about the more technical or lore-heavy stuff. :)

EDIT: Oh, and having both the dev tracker and the arrow thingie to take the reader into the next post by a dev in the same thread would be useful features to port over from the old forums too! ;)

• @Malerian.8435 said:
    Bloated, ugly, and cartoonish. Can we bring back the old format? Also all of the history of posts and other such things I was following are missing? Maybe I just have overlooked it?

You can access the old forums via this link: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum
    But it seems like it will be closed in a few weeks (6 according to Gaile), so she urges people to copy over important posts if they want to. (ugh)

• I feel like old forum is much better. The only thing needed fixing is search on it.
    And showing icons for thumbs up/down is kind of pointless since it's not like we're very unique, there's like thousands of people with same pic so not like someone stands out that way. Maybe instead of clutter just put it in like "see who rated your comment" option or just remove all together.
    Also, I think there should've been a background picture instead of blinding white still.

Mike O'Transactions

• kermq.6258kermq.6258 Member ✭✭

Ossum like the new look, and support for mobile is even better now i can finaly keep up even in work when on old was harder, just adding night mode and will be super.

And i hope u will do better then other game company that uses Vanilla engine forums.

• I think the avatars for reactions need to be smaller. The poster avatar is a good size, just poor contrast with the reaction size. Lovely to have forums that work otherwise!

EU Gunner's Hold

• Perhaps add a reply function (similar to Reddit) so you can respond to a post without it being lost in a larger thread. Just having a "thumbs down" doesn't really add much to the discussion, where a reply could help promote it or let the poster know why you disagree and give you the opportunity to provide constructive feedback.

• @Pittcrew.6592 said:

@Malerian.8435 said:
    Bloated, ugly, and cartoonish. Can we bring back the old format? Also all of the history of posts and other such things I was following are missing? Maybe I just have overlooked it?

You can access the old forums via this link: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum
    But it seems like it will be closed in a few weeks (6 according to Gaile), so she urges people to copy over important posts if they want to. (ugh)

I am just going to hop ship at this point. I guess reddit here I come.

Being underestimated is one of the biggest competitive advantages you have!

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:
    You get to unlock it when you become a "Veteran." Which is obtained through getting positive feedback from posts (thumbs up, helpful).

Interesting. I wonder if it is purely based on upvote count, or if a downvote moves you away from obtaining that, thus allowing individuals to effectively prevent someone from ever attaining that status.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• @Neural.1824 said:

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:
    You get to unlock it when you become a "Veteran." Which is obtained through getting positive feedback from posts (thumbs up, helpful).

Interesting. I wonder if it is purely based on upvote count, or if a downvote moves you away from obtaining that, thus allowing individuals to effectively prevent someone from ever attaining that status.

I, too, wonder that.

• Overall, these forums are fairly nice, but I do have two major complaints:

1. The time limit for editing a post. This makes many types of forum posts useless, because they are written with frequent updating in mind.
    2. The page itself is way too wide. There is a ridiculous amount of blank space to the right of all posts that is irritating when you try to rapidly scroll by clicking the mouse wheel. Why is that space even there?

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• I feel that some kind of notice when a sub-forum has new posts since your last visit, as we had in the old forums, would be helpful. Now, for instance, to see if there are any new 'Game Release Notes', you must open that sub-forum to check. Also, the Dev response up/down arrows in a thread were very helpful.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Another thing I've just noticed: These forums do not have the old forums' feature of adding an icon to threads in which you've commented. That was a nice QoL, I could skim down the thread list very quickly when in a hurry and spot threads where someone may have responded to my comments and need a response before I sign out (or sometimes I just want to focus in on my commented threads as those are de facto ones I have found interesting). I see there are notifications here, and they may contain the same information, but not in as quickly accessible a manner. Is there a way to add an icon for "you have commented in this thread?"

• 15 minute edit is insane.
    I'll just give an example of a guy asking a question in old forums last week, and literally leaked his own CD KEY, so if he did that here and didn't know that it's important [like he actually didn't since he leaked it himself] and closes the window to wait for people to answer, he comes back later and once he realizes, he can't edit it and it's too late.

Mike O'Transactions

• Kitta.3657Kitta.3657 Member ✭✭✭

It seems currently that the Dev Tracker option is inaccessible through mobile. I could only get to it when I was directly linked to it.
    Also the new way of doing Dev Tracker is in my opinion inferior to what we had before where we could see every post made by a dev and if we wanted we could click on it and go read the rest of the thread but in it's current form you can't see the post before clicking on it and then scrolling to find the post. This is simply a worse way to go about it in my opinion and I would like to be able to scroll through posts only from Devs instead of searching through a thread to see what was said - this is particularly frustrating for specific bit of information vs fluff comments.

I preferred the name of the poster to be on the side with the avatar which makes separating posts cleaner and easier to scroll through.

• @Moyayuki.3619 said:
    Will forums for Living World, HoT, etc. be created?

I skimmed quickly and didn't see any response to this, but I'd like to second this. Especially with PoF and Season 4 swiftly coming our way I think having one generic forum for game stuff might get a bit too cluttered. Though I suppose it might prevent topics going in the wrong areas, so I can understand if the idea is to keep it all in one place. I just worry stuff will get lost.

• Shrugal.4513Shrugal.4513 Member

Small custom CSS to make it much more readable:

• Remove reaction avatars
    • Move reaction buttons to the right and make them gray, just like the time
    • Color usernames red
    .RecordReactions {
      display: none;
    }

.Reactions {
      text-align: right;
    }

.ReactButton, .ReactSprite, .ReactButton > span:not(.Count) {
      color: #b3b3b3 !important;
    }

.ReactButton.HasCount {
      margin-right: 0 !important;
    }

.Item:not(.arenanet-tracker) .Username, .ItemComment:not(.arenanet-tracker) .Username {
      color: #e1261c !important;
    }

Use can use an extension like User CSS to apply it.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Welcome to our new official forums! We're glad you're here, and hope you enjoy all the improvements these forums offer you.

Please post your input about the forums here. If you encounter a forum bug, please share the details in this thread. If you find a graphical or visual bug, please host a screenshot on a photo-sharing site and provide a link.

We will be gathering your input and will address issues as soon as we are able to do so.

The new forums look great! Can't wait to explore all of the new content added in with this update! Cheers!

• Darlgon.9273Darlgon.9273 Member ✭✭✭

The icons for people who "Thumbs up" and mark posts "Helpful" will VERY quickly become useless forum noise. Can we turn those off?

• @Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946 said:

@Pompeia.5483 said:
    Obligatory request for dark theme/night mode :)

This is actually a very valid point. White takes more power to generate than black, or even the darker colors. Haven't looked at the mobile site, but if bright white is it will have an impact on battery life.

Agreed, and good points! I could disregard the power usage and prefer a "dark theme" for the simple fact that it's so much easier on the eyes. :)

• Shaaba.5672Shaaba.5672 Member ✭✭✭

@Shaaba.5672 said:
    Too wide, font too small, and the avatars for each thumbs up/down has got to go.

I want to clarify my statement. I said the font was too small, but I don't think that's the problem actually. (and I was talking about the body font for further clarification). It's just that there's so much else going on that your eyes jump back and forth and when it gets to comments - which really should be the most important focus - it seems to get lost. The visual hierarchy is out of whack.

I actually like some of the elements (and agree with the decision to limit avatars while still providing some diversity) but the elements fight against each other instead of balancing each other out.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Welcome to our new official forums! We're glad you're here, and hope you enjoy all the improvements these forums offer you.

Please post your input about the forums here. If you encounter a forum bug, please share the details in this thread. If you find a graphical or visual bug, please host a screenshot on a photo-sharing site and provide a link.

We will be gathering your input and will address issues as soon as we are able to do so.

The markdown table's could use a makeover. It's very bland and at least could use some row highlighting for every odd row.

• I was getting hopeful when I saw we got a new look for the forms. But I'm still a bit disappointed on the rules. I remember playing back in the day DAoC and the forms were full of smack talk and trolling. It was quite fun to find people complaining about each other. I wish we had such a spot for smack talking to each other for wvw and pvp.

• I understand that logging us out automatically after inactivity is a security issue, but it does feel like the logout happens a bit too quickly.

• Darlgon.9273Darlgon.9273 Member ✭✭✭

Ok.. the "timing out" of being logged into forums is just stupid. Are you seriously telling me just sitting here, not pushing anything makes a forum load, while I am playing the game?

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I note in the Profession forum there are "child" forums to differentiate. Could you perhaps put in a Living Story child forum either in General or in Lore? It's handy to have posts on that split out from general chatter so players can zero in discussion of ways to get achieves and so spoilers don't show up on the main page as excited players blurt out their reactions to the story they've just gone through. Those are just samples, there are many reasons why that was a useful sub category on the old forums.

• Zalifer.6140Zalifer.6140 Member

I'm on desktop, so these issues may not apply to the mobile version of the forum.

Avatars are huge, especially considering how they are only moderately useful since they're one of 20 or so stock ones. Avatars are actually only really any use when they can be used to identify a poster, since they can't they don't really do much, so make them smaller.

Similarly the enormous "reactions" section listing avatars of people who marked a post helpful/thumbs down/thumbs up is just needless clutter (since we can't tell who anyone is based on an avatar anyway). In many cases, it takes up three of four times as much space as the actual content of the post. Remove that section and leave the easy to read total. If the info of who it was that did various actions has to be there, maybe make it something we can see on a hover, or after clicking the total number to open a drawer listing users who reacted to that post.

I would also advocate clearer demarcation between posts. A thicker line underneath the "report/quote/helpful/thumbs down/thumbs up" line would probably do.

Maybe mute the colours of the buttons for those actions too? As the posts are grey on white and background images are grey on white. the only thing that stands out on the page when you look at it are the (questionably useful) avatars, both the post owner and reactions, and the buttons to take action. The actual content of a post is the least visible, since even the posters name is larger.

Edit : I actually just realised all of this can be fixed by going back to the old forums. This update adds unnecessary features like avatars and reactions, and stinks of form over function (even though the old forums are rather nice looking too, they were easier to read).

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭

There is also a discussion going on in the old forum that is worth looking at:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Honestly-I-like-this-forum-alot-better/first#post6748865

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't like being logged out even more than I used to. Seems like every time I alt-tab back to see what's going on, I have to click login again, then scroll down, then come back into the forum. It was actually easier before hitting F5 and then speed entering my user/pass, at least it put me back where I was. Now I might not remember what forum I was reading when I alt-tab back to the forum.

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• @kurfu.5623 said:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Honestly-I-like-this-forum-alot-better/first#post6748865

The problem is, complaining about it on the now-older site won't change anything. It's best if we all be pro-active and post our constructive feedback here so that the good folks whose job it is to make the site can see what works and what doesn't.

• Ulion.5476Ulion.5476 Member ✭✭

I would like longer borders on the side of the forum. I need an option to reduce the size of text on the forums instead of having to zoom out. All of the text/icons are to big.

• lLobo.7960lLobo.7960 Member ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to hide all the icons under each post and all the images on sides and avatars?
    It's terrible to read at work.

• great design of new forums love it

1. "Poster avatars" are too big. Serve no purpose. The use of color for avatars with B&W text just distracts from the text. The text is why I'm here.
    2. The sometimes quite large collection of "reaction avatars" serves no purpose. I don't know why I need to see the identity of everyone who responds.
    3. Too much white space. It may look nice as a layout, but does not help finding and reading individual posts.
    4. Artwork along the margins? Really? Not why I'm here.

This layout of the forums seems to be the "verbose" form. I think I would prefer the "compact" form if there was one.
    I have expressed my skepticism elsewhere about the security rationale for the omission of images. Not buying it.

However I do appreciate the migration to a system that will support searching.

• Dev tracker not easily accessible (impossible actually) through mobile. I don't wanna scroll through player comments on the train. I want to know what anet's saying when they're saying it.

• New forums look great overall, you did a good job. There's one thing though that I find particularly uncomfortable, and that is the huge line of reaction avatars under each post. It makes a thread really hard to follow and uneasy to read. I would probably replace that with a simple counter for each reaction (like, helpful and so on), which you could click and get a list of each user who was reacted to that post (similar to Facebook reactions).

Alternatively, you could keep the avatars as they are now, but reduce its size drastically to not interfere with reading overall, so that you could realistically accumulate 50+ likes in no more than two lines of avatars (basically like the size of the quote / helpful / thumbs icons without text).

• Hanakocz.5697Hanakocz.5697 Member ✭✭

Can we get some settings to set our "you have been logged out for inactivity" to some longer interval than just few minutes? PLEASE PLEASE

Also would be lovely if we can have some settings for like 50% zoom than default :)

• Wow, a truly awful user interface. I am with Zalifer.6140. This is a total disaster.
    And what's with the dim, gray text? I have a hard time reading it.
    Stupid pop-ups in the middle of the screen.
    I will not be using this forum.
    Can anyone suggest other decent GW2 forums?

• kKagari.6804kKagari.6804 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sending private messages seems a lot harder than it needs to be, if I click someones profile, I can't seem to send that person a private message.

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭

@Moyayuki.3619 said:

@kurfu.5623 said:

The problem is, complaining about it on the now-older site won't change anything. It's best if we all be pro-active and post our constructive feedback here so that the good folks whose job it is to make the site can see what works and what doesn't.

That is why I posted a link here.

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• eithedog.4678eithedog.4678 Member ✭✭

Usability wise:

• no notifications when the thread / message you posted was responded to / quoted (even though they're ticked in the account)
    • have received a notification about being promoted to a recruit, even though the badges one was disabled by default
    • started receiving notifications only after updating the notification settings
    • menu disappears in the inbox section
    • breadcrumbs in My drafts, Signature settings, Quote settings is missing; in Moderation it says Notes
    • some popups regarding performed actions have green tick box (regarding image change for example)
    • confirmation box looks fugly and inconsistent with popups
    • previewing and going back to edit the post extends the textarea drastically
    • delete draft button is cut-off
    • I've deleted a draft regarding this post, the popups regarding saving the draft keep appearing, save draft option tells me draft has been saved, yet no drafts appear in the account; after refreshing, the content of this message has been removed
    • I've managed to create three drafts regarding the same post (this one)
    • After posting, one of the drafts I've had was deleted; two other are still in my account with content I've been playing around with
    • Links to comments within profile incorrectly point out to Discussion - for example: going to my profile: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/profile/comments/4503/eithedog.4678, clicking on "Comment by eithedog.4678" redirects me to a "This user has not made any discussions yet." page, rather than this thread

Sometimes I think my job affects how I look at websites :s

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.