Deadeye Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Deadeye Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Hiya scoundrels!
With the launch of Path of Fire coming up quick, here are the changes (excluding core/daredevil updates) you'll be seeing for the upcoming Deadeye specialization.

• Death's Retreat: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from working with Assassin's Reward and Lead Attacks
  • Rifle: Fixed an issue where rifle skills could not be reflected properly
  • Spotter Shot: Changed this animation from a hip shot to an aimed shot animation.
  • Deadeye's Mark: Fixed a bad interaction with Hidden Thief that allowed mark to be canceled in order to grant stealth.
  • Three-Round-Burst (Kneeling): Reduced damage by about 16%

For the most part, it's just bug fixes. We did feel that there was a more negative push with Three-Round-Burst in that pressing Death's Judgement was a bad decision, so we ended up slightly lowering TRB's damage. We'll continue to keep an eye on this elite specialization, making changes and balance adjustments as necessary.

The Crystal Desert awaits. We'll see you there soon!

Tagged:
<13

Comments

• Loving this elite spec Karl! Good job you guys!

A good player can succeed with whatever is meta. A great player can succeed with whatever they want.
    [Vial of Salt]
    PSA: Deadeye isn't bad, you're just bad at using it.
    These DE tips are still relevant.

• The two things I wanted to see are not on that list. I'd be OK with one or the other, but neither? Yeash. Malice generation is sluggish, but the real pain to deal with is how clunky marking a target is. Is there a particular reason why it works in the exact opposite way as steal does, in regards to cast times? To be clear, Steal is instant, but the stolen skills have a cast time, whereas Deadeye Mark has an annoying cast time, but the stolen skills are instant cast.

Considering the entire spec revolves around marking and attacking a specific target, in that order, why was that inverted? It messes with the gameplay flow and fluidity of the marking system tremendously.

• @Zacchary.6183 said:
    You would think the thief community would be used to this by now lol!

Hope dies slowly. :\

• Kind of a shame to see no changes to malice or marking, given how central they are to the spec and how many of the other classes got core mechanical issues addressed.

• @Paulie.6215 said:
    3 bug fixes and a 16% nerf on TRB.

All other classes received , for the most part, SEVERAL updates and thieves get this?

Beware what you wish for. Scourge got more. Almost all of it nerfy. T_T

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

Taking in consideration of power and condi damage with new stats and the already existing boon steal + corrupt changes I believe its justified to what they are doing with it. Plus also you have to consider the combination of these other elite specs on top of that. Whack-a-mole with a team consisting of mesmer, thief, necro, warrior. You have two kinds of portals and the potential boon corruption. Overall though with changes I've read i'm satisfied with them.

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭

Skirmishers Shot: "Fire a bullet that inflicts conditions on your target and grants you a boon." Since it grants a boon instead of taking it from the target why can't we get the swiftness without a target?

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL]

• The one and only thing I really cared about was getting rid of the mark cast time and you couldn't even do that. It just doesn't work having the cast time. Makes it feel out of place and unusable!

• Ballads.2509Ballads.2509 Member
    edited September 21, 2017

@Karl McLain.5604 said:
    Hiya scoundrels!
    (excluding core/daredevil updates)

Uh why does this line have me a little concerned? Please tell me its not that core thief or Daredevil getting changed (aka nerfed) to make Deadeye look better?

• eldrjth.7384eldrjth.7384 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe reduce the initiative cost of 3-round burst by 1 if all bullets hit similar to unload or something to offset the dmg nerf. Its sustain is going to be far worse than p/p. Currently I think its only going to be useful in PvP (prob decent at killing squishy guys).

• How come Karl doesn't get a red post?

• @Karl McLain.5604 said:
    continue to keep an eye on this elite specialization, making changes and balance adjustments as necessary.

I see what you did there. ;)

@Ballads.2509 said:

@Karl McLain.5604 said:
    Hiya scoundrels!

Uh why does this line have me a little concerned? Please tell me its not that core thief or Daredevil getting changed (aka nerfed) to make Deadeye look better?

Yeah, that did sound very ominous.

• Glad I didn't buy it.

• Thats kinda how i felt too, "why wait for my 4 when i can just spam 3 like i do on my pistols?"
    So before i say anything like "Deadeye is a dead class" i wait until i can really try it

• Majirah.5089Majirah.5089 Member ✭✭✭

@eldrjth.7384 said:
    Maybe reduce the initiative cost of 3-round burst by 1 if all bullets hit similar to unload or something to offset the dmg nerf. Its sustain is going to be far worse than p/p. Currently I think its only going to be useful in PvP (prob decent at killing squishy guys).

I think they should do this. It felt initiative starved to me. Don't know how you would even do it without trickery line. Wish they would make it so trickery isn't mandatory.

• Link.1049Link.1049 Member ✭✭✭

Excited... and apprehensive about the new deadeye spec... especially after reading the other spec updates. We'll see how it pans out over the next few weeks.

• TwiceDead.1963TwiceDead.1963 Member ✭✭✭

Hah... An eye, I get it.

As for the update.. Alright. I'll have a run with it, see what It can do, but I am not exactly encouraged by these changes, even if there is some logic to it...

Three-Round-Burst really overshadowed Death's Judgement most of the time. I didn't expect this to be the solution though. I'd look at the cast-times, damage and/or projectile speeds for DJ, or make Kneel a more fluid ability to use, for why it's so undesirable compared to TRB... But I guess lowering TRB's damage output is easier.

Oh well. Not like I have to actually use Rifle if kitten goes south.

• Razor.9872Razor.9872 Member ✭✭✭

@Paulie.6215 said:

All other classes received , for the most part, SEVERAL updates and thieves get this?

Here's to hoping thieves don't become an afterthought........again.

All in all, not happy at all.

Warrior and Ranger are about in the same boat.

NSPride~

• Zenith.7301Zenith.7301 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Paulie.6215 said:

Necros who could already barely generate enough life force for shades got costs increased on shades, and barrier nerfed even though its a crappier aegis in PvE.

Revenant F skills still cost metric tons of energy and do nothing worth 35 energy. Shortbow still hits for less than 1/5 of what deadeye rifle does.

Mirage's only good ambush skill was nerfed and they received a bunch of useless updates.

• @The Mechanic.3567 said:
    Hey ANET dev's,

im just curious as to why you didnt listen to the feedback you got from your players, or if you are planning on making the changes we have suggested (such as the movement cancels crouch suggestion) why keep us in the dark about it? let it be known you have heard our complaints and that for one reason or another you havent decided to change that yet. communication is key to good relationships and your tarnishing your relationship with your customers by suggesting that your listening to us with a beta, then not telling us why none of our suggestions made it into the first cut of refinements. honestly the whole spec feels clunky and unpolished. id at least like to hear that it was intentional for one reason or another.

Anet doesn't answer. They haven't in years.

• I was hoping at least for the change in color/icon for kneel skills, per suggestion by many players.

• @Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Razor.9872 said:

@Paulie.6215 said:

Warrior and Ranger are about in the same boat.

Take a look at Scourge.

Honestly, the QQ that happens after every patch change is so immature and yet so hilarious. ANet hates my class QQ on every. Single. Sub-forum. lol

Tbh zero percent of the issues of deadeye were addressed, while for example mirage got very much.

• Arcaedus.7290Arcaedus.7290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Elxdark.9702 said:

• remove kneel by moving your character

Would have really loved to see this change in particular. It's a change that many may not like (since they'd accidentally interrupt their kneel a lot at first) but that can very easily be adapted to.

• Brutaly.6257Brutaly.6257 Member ✭✭✭

Good changes on the elite that was the most polished one during beta.

Karl! I know you got a lot negative critique (by me and others) for the DragnoHunter so now its time to give som positivew feedback.
    Deadeye do offer a very different experience compared to the vanilla Thief and still it is a Thief. Job well done.

On friday night i will go into wvw and start sniping.

• lmaogg.7325lmaogg.7325 Member ✭✭

@Elxdark.9702 said:

• remove kneel by moving your character

THIS. Please do it. The current state is very unresponsive for a hit and run class.

• messiah.1908messiah.1908 Member ✭✭✭✭

the only thing sniper need its unblockable ability. atm pvp sniper will be hard to use in mid high tier. but we could see d/p deadeye with 15%+21% dmg buff alongside quickness burst

• @messiah.1908 said:
    the only thing sniper need its unblockable ability. atm pvp sniper will be hard to use in mid high tier. but we could see d/p deadeye with 15%+21% dmg buff alongside quickness burst

Deadeye will be good at roleplaying and stomp new players.
    Beside that deadeye offers nothing viable for high pvp/every other playmode with minmax attitude.

• I'm incredibly disappointed to hear this. There was a lot of good feedback that came out of the beta and it appears as though Anet has ignored all of it. I can only hope this is because they couldn't get everything fixed in time for launch, and that this is only a temporary solution. Deadeye was 90% of the reason I purchased the expansion (Ultimate Edition), and seeing a nerf to Deadeye's already lack of DPS with rifle is quite unsettling. I crafted The Predator for this.

As a final note to Anet: please, please, PLEASE pay close attention to the feedback for Deadeye after PoF launches. We only complain because we care.

Here's my previous feedback from the beta: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/thief/Deadeye-Feedback-from-a-Veteran-Thief/first#post6714623

• @Robert Gee.9246 said:

@The Mechanic.3567 said:
    Hey ANET dev's,

im just curious as to why you didnt listen to the feedback you got from your players, or if you are planning on making the changes we have suggested (such as the movement cancels crouch suggestion) why keep us in the dark about it? let it be known you have heard our complaints and that for one reason or another you havent decided to change that yet. communication is key to good relationships and your tarnishing your relationship with your customers by suggesting that your listening to us with a beta, then not telling us why none of our suggestions made it into the first cut of refinements. honestly the whole spec feels clunky and unpolished. id at least like to hear that it was intentional for one reason or another.

So I was hesitating to respond to this since it's pretty late, but I think it's important for us to be clear on a few of these points.

We do read a lot of the feedback on these forums, but listening to feedback is not the same as acting on feedback. Additionally we do not have time to respond to every post on the forum. I'm responding to this on my own time after work and the reason we've actually had time to respond today to your replies is because we are in a "calm before the storm" situation right before the game launches. I don't expect that we'll have nearly as much time after the 22nd.

I think we can all agree that communication is important, but we can't spend our time here promising you that we are listening when we should be working to improve the game.

Okay now that that's out of the way here are a few thoughts:

• Cast time on Mark - Marking a target is intended as a commitment, and the added power of malice plus the refresh ability on kill afforded to Deadeye means that that some power balance needed to be made elsewhere.
    • Moving Breaks Kneel - Kneel is intended to be a mode that requires forethought and planning, but we want to allow you to dodge roll when attacks come in. There are players that use doubletap to roll, so movement breaking kneel is not an option.
    • Malice Generation Rate - Speed of Malice generation is something that ties very closely with Deadeye's power. We'd like to watch it more before making changes to it.

Thank you for the reply Robert. It's very appreciated. I have to challenge the opinion that a short cast time is a commitment. Certainly, with the Mark refreshing on every kill being a minor trait things have to be balanced around that for the scenario that a group of weak mobs is on the other side of the barrel and you abuse that, but I think it should be balanced elsewhere (other then cast time). Imagine if Reaper shroud had a cast time, but Necromancer Shroud didn't. It would feel really bad, and that was the feeling I had playing the beta. Stolen skills already have an expiration date when the mark goes away (which also feels weird, but I got used to it unlike the cast time).

• @Robert Gee.9246 said:

• Moving Breaks Kneel - Kneel is intended to be a mode that requires forethought and planning, but we want to allow you to dodge roll when attacks come in. There are players that use doubletap to roll, so movement breaking kneel is not an option.

Rip. Guess that's 1 legit reason in term of design.
    But still...

• @Robert Gee.9246 said:
    So I was hesitating to respond to this since it's pretty late, but I think it's important for us to be clear on a few of these points.

We do read a lot of the feedback on these forums, but listening to feedback is not the same as acting on feedback. Additionally we do not have time to respond to every post on the forum. I'm responding to this on my own time after work and the reason we've actually had time to respond today to your replies is because we are in a "calm before the storm" situation right before the game launches. I don't expect that we'll have nearly as much time after the 22nd.

I think we can all agree that communication is important, but we can't spend our time here promising you that we are listening when we should be working to improve the game.

Okay now that that's out of the way here are a few thoughts:

• Cast time on Mark - Marking a target is intended as a commitment, and the added power of malice plus the refresh ability on kill afforded to Deadeye means that that some power balance needed to be made elsewhere.
    • Malice Generation Rate - Speed of Malice generation is something that ties very closely with Deadeye's power. We'd like to watch it more before making changes to it.

Thanks for the effort made to clarify the decisions.

However, I believe this would be the ideal solution for Mark in terms of both balance and fluidity of gameplay:

@Nitron.6405 said:
    If the source of the problem is the ability to spam mark when fighting a group of weak enemies, then simply replace the cast time with the same timed cooldown. That way there's the same delay between mark uses, however it doesn't break the flow of the gameplay because you're not essentially dazed for half a second while you 'charge' your mark.

• Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭

@Ballads.2509 said:

@Karl McLain.5604 said:
    Hiya scoundrels!

Why not? Since one of DeadEye skills gets a 16% nerf, I bet core thief and DareDevil will get their shares too, probably at least a 20% nerf just to make DE still stronger.

• @Karl McLain.5604 said:
    Hiya scoundrels!
    With the launch of Path of Fire coming up quick, here are the changes (excluding core/daredevil updates) you'll be seeing for the upcoming Deadeye specialization.

• Death's Retreat: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from working with Assassin's Reward and Lead Attacks
    • Rifle: Fixed an issue where rifle skills could not be reflected properly
    • Spotter Shot: Changed this animation from a hip shot to an aimed shot animation.
    • Deadeye's Mark: Fixed a bad interaction with Hidden Thief that allowed mark to be canceled in order to grant stealth.
    • Three-Round-Burst (Kneeling): Reduced damage by about 16%

For the most part, it's just bug fixes. We did feel that there was a more negative push with Three-Round-Burst in that pressing Death's Judgement was a bad decision, so we ended up slightly lowering TRB's damage. We'll continue to keep an eye on this elite specialization, making changes and balance adjustments as necessary.

The Crystal Desert awaits. We'll see you there soon!

Hey Karl, thanks dude for the clarification on the reflection of projectiles.

Karl or others, I have a question about the term unblockable attack, what do those skills by pass in general?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.