So... is there ever going to be any plans in removing Damage Aura?

I know it's been around for a long time. But this just gets more and more frustrating to see when you're in a situation where you shouldn't be taking damage. Say you're off in the back picking up a downed team mate, you backed off a bit to use ranged weapons because the area around the boss got spoopy, Or you backed off to go deal with some mechanics that are far from the boss. But you're still taking damage for absolutely no reason.

It's even more annoying when you realize that this is probably the primary reason why a druid is around in the first place. As most of the damage I had incoming wasn't from the boss, but actually for just existing for three seconds at a time.

I take it you’re talking about Agony pulses when you reach a certain point in a fractal. It’s called an agony check. Some attacks from foes will also apply Agony. And it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.Make sure you have the right amount of Agony Resistance for the Fractal scale you’re attempting. You will then take 1% damage from it.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:I take it you’re talking about Agony pulses when you reach a certain point in a fractal. It’s called an agony check. Some attacks from foes will also apply Agony. And it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.Make sure you have the right amount of Agony Resistance for the Fractal scale you’re attempting. You will then take 1% damage from it.

raids bosses have passive pulsing damage aura

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:I take it you’re talking about Agony pulses when you reach a certain point in a fractal. It’s called an agony check. Some attacks from foes will also apply Agony. And it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.Make sure you have the right amount of Agony Resistance for the Fractal scale you’re attempting. You will then take 1% damage from it.

Brutal aura on Samorog and Cosmic on Cairn is all I can find. But since raids were introduced you’ve always needed a ‘healer’. It gives variety to the standard dps check to have a support/healing check also I guess. /shrug mechanics are mechanics.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Brutal aura on Samorog and Cosmic on Cairn is all I can find. But since raids were introduced you’ve always needed a ‘healer’. It gives variety to the standard dps check to have a support/healing check also I guess. /shrug mechanics are mechanics.

Vale Guardian's magic aura too and yes, what Haleydawn.3764 said; mechanics. If the group setup & class you're on allows it, just use the type of heal that doesn't requires you to press the button.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

First boss of chains has it

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:There's other ways to make healers relevant without forcing it down your throats.

Changing boss mechanics to deal with players in 'safety'.Adding some environmental hazards.Giving bosses cleave.

It's not just to force healers, its to make sure you don't just have 10x tanks/DPS and attrition till enrage....That being said, this part of design missed the ball since they wanted "soft" enrages for most fights. Could still be remedied by having a scaling enrage.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:There's other ways to make healers relevant without forcing it down your throats.

Changing boss mechanics to deal with players in 'safety'.Adding some environmental hazards.Giving bosses cleave.

It's not just to force healers, its to make sure you don't just have 10x tanks/DPS and attrition till enrage....That being said, this part of design missed the ball since they wanted "soft" enrages for most fights. Could still be remedied by having a scaling enrage.

Most tanks don't even stack health, just toughness. From what I've been told, and haven't accepted as fact yet, is that most of the raid bosses deal max-health percentile damage. And they hit hard enough that toughness won't keep you alive for long.

@Alehin.3746 said:I can imagine anet removing the aura because of complaints like this, then healers stop being a thing and the same people that cried about the aura will complain because theres no healers to heal them after failing mechanics. kek

Aren't there players who complain about the bosses mechanics already?

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@Alehin.3746 said:I can imagine anet removing the aura because of complaints like this, then healers stop being a thing and the same people that cried about the aura will complain because theres no healers to heal them after failing mechanics. kek

Aren't there players who complain about the bosses mechanics already?Yup. If anet listened to them, every boss would be like a practice golem with a different model. lol

To be frank this is one of the aspects that bridle the raiding potential of Guild Wars 2.

It might be a design choice which I thought understandable at first, but being clamped up with your raid constantly, on any boss, even when you're a range capable class feels atrocious on the long run.This said, as much as it ruins team composition and boss abilities diversity, most of Guild Wars 2 spell mecanics simply not work with distance, a range class will always do more dmg at close range because of multi projectile spells and most of buffs can only be provided in more or less 300 range aoes.

So yeah I'm not sure if removing this aura would be relevant in the end since there's no real reason to leave the pile anyway ~

@"Gravenz.6258" said:To be frank this is one of the aspects that bridle the raiding potential of Guild Wars 2.

It might be a design choice which I thought understandable at first, but being clamped up with your raid constantly, on any boss, even when you're a range capable class feels atrocious on the long run.This said, as much as it ruins team composition and boss abilities diversity, most of Guild Wars 2 spell mecanics simply not work with distance, a range class will always do more dmg at close range because of multi projectile spells and most of buffs can only be provided in more or less 300 range aoes.

So yeah I'm not sure if removing this aura would be relevant in the end since there's no real reason to leave the pile anyway ~

That just needs to change by changing the rules on range of boon provision.

Even then, the problem would be healing, as healing is also proximity based.

The fact is, GW2's combat is way too binary because of the dodge system. Being able to completely negate damage through a single frequently available key press is rather stifling of how ranged vs melee DPS would be balanced. Ranged would be too safe unless encounter designers started operating like WoW and designing mechanics that target different specs.

I mean, we might see a hint of this with Deimos and Sabetha. What if most fights had elements like these affecting multiple people so comps were forced to bring a mix of ranged and melee specs? It would have to definitely be more complex than just the "stand at range to drop a void zone here", but it would open up the design space for combat encounters.

It might even make the job of the healer even more interactive as you would force them to reposition depending on which group needs healing.

Matthias also has a sort of preview into what forcing players to adjust their range could feel like. They just need to take further advantage of it.

@Zenith.7301 said:

@"Gravenz.6258" said:To be frank this is one of the aspects that bridle the raiding potential of Guild Wars 2.

That just needs to change by changing the rules on range of boon provision.

Even then, the problem would be healing, as healing is also proximity based.

The fact is, GW2's combat is way too binary because of the dodge system. Being able to completely negate damage through a single frequently available key press is rather stifling of how ranged vs melee DPS would be balanced. Ranged would be too safe unless encounter designers started operating like WoW and designing mechanics that target different specs.

I mean, we might see a hint of this with Deimos and Sabetha. What if most fights had elements like these affecting multiple people so comps were forced to bring a mix of ranged and melee specs? It would have to definitely be more complex than just the "stand at range to drop a void zone here", but it would open up the design space for combat encounters.

It might even make the job of the healer even more interactive as you would force them to reposition depending on which group needs healing.

Matthias also has a sort of preview into what forcing players to adjust their range could feel like. They just need to take further advantage of it.

I honestly like this idea.

@Zenith.7301

That would imply a complete rework of the game-play at this point, thus a rework of every bosses accordingly (fractal included probably). I don't think this is gonna be a thing sooner or later.

To me there's three missed opportunities that could have eased the issue.° First, a true raiding environement. Sharing boons has been an issue since the creation of raids (especially quickness and alacrity), implying the obligatory presence of druids and chronomancers. As much as most of spells are changed for WvW, spells and auras that share boons in raid could simply be changed to 10 targets (and maybe have their boon sharing radius increased). meaning that other classes could finally be relevant in defined roles and servers would not take a serious hit on the WvW or WvE side of things.° Second, Elit specs. We had new specs comming our way with Path of Fire that could have finally changed the face of raiding since its creation in 2015, bring something new, especially with the new potential of barrier mecanics. Sadly over 10 new specs, 10 are damage oriented which is probably one of the biggest disappointement of this expansion. Some have healing/support variants but nowhere near as efficient as previous specs designed for it.° Third, Rework potential. It's a reality, the trinity is shaped at this point, especially in raid. So many classes have untaped potential in both tanking and healing and they would be viable by reworking weapons and utility spells designed for this purpose in the first place. Then you can bring something new to the table, a different way of healing, from decent range or via heal over time for exemple, a new way to protect and support with barriers or new mitigation mecanics.I'm also pointing at the engineer, that has literally kits that can be reworked to be viable in some domains without affecting the whole class (frankly, the healing kit and its bottles that no one ever bother walking on ~)

In short, as long as we don't get new options, even if they show that boss mecanics can be refreshened with the release of wing 5, raids will inevitably turn more monotonous over time.

@Flauvious.6195 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Well there is a reason tanks stack toughness tho most bosses go after the guy with highest toughness

You wouldn't need to stack it for that reason though, everyone in your party has 0 toughness so you'd only need like 1 item or even just food to have the most.

Would like to see the hand kiter at deimos survive with 1k toughness.

Archived