Axe/Axe over GS

Roeibi.8514

In PvE Axe/Axe is more useful than GS because you have mounts and mobility is not an issue.In PvP or WvW Axe/Axe makes you slow and unable to land attacks, perhaps the only attacks that you can land are the throw axes. Now, if a noob comes to you and engages in melee combat, then Axe/Axe is sweet, but anyone with half a brain will kite you as soon as they see you have axe/axe. Specially nowadays that all classes have very good kiting skills and mobility.

So, to summarize:I see no logical reason to go axe/axe instead of GS in PvP or WvW.However, in PvE where the mobs don't run away from you, Axe/Axe is way better than GS!

@Hitman.5829 said:In PvE Axe/Axe is more useful than GS because you have mounts and mobility is not an issue.In PvP or WvW Axe/Axe makes you slow and unable to land attacks, perhaps the only attacks that you can land are the throw axes. Now, if a noob comes to you and engages in melee combat, then Axe/Axe is sweet, but anyone with half a brain will kite you as soon as they see you have axe/axe. Specially nowadays that all classes have very good kiting skills and mobility.

So, to summarize:I see no logical reason to go axe/axe instead of GS in PvP or WvW.However, in PvE where the mobs don't run away from you, Axe/Axe is way better than GS!

in WvW you probably right, in sPVP you dont mostly ingage 1v1 its more of a team fights so you can jump in and dps,also thats why i use Rifle also, it has realy nice burst, 2+3 skills can get good damage, and Adrenaline F1 gets me over 7-9k on crits.

• 4 weeks later...

@Roeibi.8514 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:In PvE Axe/Axe is more useful than GS because you have mounts and mobility is not an issue.In PvP or WvW Axe/Axe makes you slow and unable to land attacks, perhaps the only attacks that you can land are the throw axes. Now, if a noob comes to you and engages in melee combat, then Axe/Axe is sweet, but anyone with half a brain will kite you as soon as they see you have axe/axe. Specially nowadays that all classes have very good kiting skills and mobility.

in WvW you probably right, in sPVP you dont mostly ingage 1v1 its more of a team fights so you can jump in and dps,also thats why i use Rifle also, it has realy nice burst, 2+3 skills can get good damage, and Adrenaline F1 gets me over 7-9k on crits.

teamfighting with warrior in spvp is a pain, id rather take gs with good mobility to play it like a thief, decap and engage in 1v1 or +1 an enemy

There is literally no reason to use Greatsword, besides maybe its gimmick mobility moves that have high cooldowns. However, even those can't burst as effectively as a few solid hits from any axe skill. The Greatsword is archaically designed from an era when the game had a lot less power creep. 100 blades used to offer the most damage (relatively speaking) by literally sacrificing everything else; mobility, range, and minimal cleave. It has the range of an autoattack, hits only 3 enemies, and is only a semi-circle of damage, meaning it's hilariously easy for NPCs and other players to just skirt around it. Berserker does have access to stuns, but those are absolutely minimal by contrast.

Axe on the other hand does more damage, has more mobility on its high cleave-damagea abilities, and even has a strong component. Test any of the skills with greatsword and you can feel how miserably clunky they are. The charge has a strange "pause" between each step, while whirlwind's hitbox is poorly connected to the actual animation. It reeks of bad design, whereas Axe is much more instantaneous and responsive.

Sure, Greatsword gives you might. If you spec for it. Not to mention that they literally nerfed the one thing that kept Greatsword relevant with Phalanx Strength in order to negatively push us towards other builds by eliminating one build. While Phalanx Strength is still relevant, it's a shell of its former self when other classes can do more damage and utility at the same time, while offering all of that might.

@"Lyros.4673" said:There is literally no reason to use Greatsword, besides maybe its gimmick mobility moves that have high cooldowns. However, even those can't burst as effectively as a few solid hits from any axe skill. The Greatsword is archaically designed from an era when the game had a lot less power creep. 100 blades used to offer the most damage (relatively speaking) by literally sacrificing everything else; mobility, range, and minimal cleave. It has the range of an autoattack, hits only 3 enemies, and is only a semi-circle of damage, meaning it's hilariously easy for NPCs and other players to just skirt around it. Berserker does have access to stuns, but those are absolutely minimal by contrast.

Axe on the other hand does more damage, has more mobility on its high cleave-damagea abilities, and even has a strong component. Test any of the skills with greatsword and you can feel how miserably clunky they are. The charge has a strange "pause" between each step, while whirlwind's hitbox is poorly connected to the actual animation. It reeks of bad design, whereas Axe is much more instantaneous and responsive.

Sure, Greatsword gives you might. If you spec for it. Not to mention that they literally nerfed the one thing that kept Greatsword relevant with Phalanx Strength in order to negatively push us towards other builds by eliminating one build. While Phalanx Strength is still relevant, it's a shell of its former self when other classes can do more damage and utility at the same time, while offering all of that might.

all points only in pve, in pvp and wvw id always take gs over axe axe, right now i play gs/axe shield

Greatsword is still a good weapon, make no mistake. 100B can still hit hard and it’s F1 is a good source of Fury.

I mean, sure Whirling Axe is better in literally every way but it goes on cooldown after all.

I like to combo the self-Quickness on Axe 4 with 100B (when, for whatever reason, WA is not available).

@"Roeibi.8514" said:What are the benefits of GS over Axe/Axe?Axe 5 is easier to land more than 100 blades and has higher damage, 4 gives you nice quickness, 2 gives vulnerability, and auto attack is nice and quick.

IDK what you guys are talking about. Greatsword is still meta in PvE and in PvP, if you look at the snowcrows website, the top raid guild, their benchmark is with GS A/A. I would never drop greatsword, it's far to great of a weapon and its a lot of fun to play.

Whirling axe is a completely braindead boring skill, of course I run it as an off hand because it does great damage, but you literally spin around moving, no skill whatsoever, now that is "gimmicky".

Even in open world I'm running GS (swap to berserker elite) and my berserker raid gear, it provides excellent mobility without sacrificing utilities.

I use Axe/Axe for damage and GS for mobility to get away from danger :lol:Edit: I haven't touch this game much and that's the only comfortable weapons I use. However from experience GS is a great weapon to get in and get, but when you're focused on fighting toe to toe. Axe/Axe is your weapon to go. I haven't touched S/S in a long time, but that use to be my old combination with GS.

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part I've been running GS on Warrior (PvE), and I figured "Let's change things up!", and grabbed a single off-hand axe instead.

Boy was I surprised when a single Whirling Axe attack did about the same amount of damage as when I use to chain Ard Divider, Hundred Blades, and Whirlwind Slice in quick succession on GS. Dual Strike was just icing on the cake after that.

Only reason I stick to Greatsword now, is because it tickles my fashion senses far more than axes ever will.

Archived