A laptop for GW2 ?

Hello everyone,

Suppose that "someone I know" (cough cough) often guests at someone else's and often invites that same someone, and therefore needs an additional PC for such cases, because moving the whole desktop is a hassle, and everyone wants to play together.

So, that someone currently has a 4 years old asus laptop with intel i7-4700HQ (2,4GHz), 8Gb RAM and a GeForce 750M 2Gb GPU. Unfortunately, it's getting old, and GW2 upgraded, so eventhough the laptop worked well for gaming in the beginning, it now becomes a pain, so it's time for a little change...

Given a 900-1000€ budget is aimed, it seems like the most popular option in that prices range is a i5-7300HQ (2,5 GHz) + 8Gb RAM and GeForce 1050 (2Gb). My friend knows that it's no use to aim for high end GPU for Guild Wars 2, and only plays StarCraft II and TESO on a regular basis. That friends insists that TESO works better than GW2 on current laptop, so whatever would run GW2 could run TESO as smoothly.

So here's a question : is the aformentioned setup a good choice for a smooth all-graphics-options-on experience on GW2 ? (the friends also says that there's no hope for zergs, so don't bother with that). And if it's not, what would be ? (without killing piggy bank)

GW2 should run just fine with high-max settings on that setup, everyone knows that GW2 takes a huge hit on framerate when there's a zerg going on at the world boss or WvW , no matter how good your system is.I found a footage with GW2 running maxed settings setup similiar with yours, and it seems to run wonderfully if you just tune down few settings.

I am using a Alienware 15 r2 I bought for £1000

• 16GB RAM
  • GTX 980M Graphics 8GB + intel HD 615
  • 250SSD and 1TB HDD
  • i7-6820HK 2.7GHz

Running the game brilliantly even with zergs and world bosses no lag just a small reduction in FPS is not noticeable and its constantly between 30 - 60 fps.60 fps mostly in core tyria and small instances. 30+ fps for HoT and PoF maps

Archived