[Suggestion] Graphic option "realistic dark night"

jimgao.2091

Hi everybody,

Once again, I did not go through the entire forum so sorry in advance if this suggestion has already been posted.

With many objects like torches, backs and miniatures emitting light, I thought it was too bad not to take full advantage of them. Moreover, if I walked in the forest at night, without light, I would not see where I put my feet. Currently, the night in Guild Wars 2 looks like the picture below. It is beautiful and practical not to get lost but not realistic.

yfa8PlI.jpg

I would be really happy to find in the game's graphical configuration, a small check box to activate a "realistic dark night" mode. When the night falls, it would have the function of lowering the ambient light and the one coming from the moon (or other natural main source of light) for about 80% or 90%, and perhaps also the brightness of the distant fog. The rest would obviously remain unchanged. It would leave a low visibility imitating an acclimatized eye to black but which would require an object emitting light, or a distant bright spot to navigate. We would gain in realism by getting closer to what we can see in the Obsidian Sanctuary (with a small extra visibility for the outside).

jwxwrGI.jpg

I think the role players would be interested, as well as players looking for some extra challenge at night. Of course, this would be an option to unchecked for those not interested. I think it isn’t too laborious to implement, but I’m not a dev.

Thanks for reading my post and have a nice day.

Excelsior.

This has already been requested, including myself.

Click me.

The nights in the Crystal Desert are pretty dark, but mostly by a post-processing effect of super high contrast.It's cool because I finally blend into darkness with my little sniper assassin Asura thief, but what's the point when anything else is also hidden in a dark blur?

Dxj2eeO.png

Especially you can see there are "normal" light levels there. I can understand, in reality, black is black and nothing can be recovered from it digitally nor seen by the human eye, but it just looks so forced in the current settings.. I mean, how can my clothes and edges of my ear still reflect light when the tent is clearly a dark spot blocking any possible light?

@"Zedek.8932" said:Excelsior.

This has already been requested, including myself.

Click me.

The nights in the Crystal Desert are pretty dark, but mostly by a post-processing effect of super high contrast.It's cool because I finally blend into darkness with my little sniper assassin Asura thief, but what's the point when anything else is also hidden in a dark blur?

Especially you can see there are "normal" light levels there. I can understand, in reality, black is black and nothing can be recovered from it digitally nor seen by the human eye, but it just looks so forced in the current settings.. I mean, how can my clothes and edges of my ear still reflect light when the tent is clearly a dark spot blocking any possible light?

I use a forked version of ReShade, called GW2Hook, to achieve similar effects. Took a lot of tweaking, color vibrancy adjustment, and HDR/Level tuning to get the look I wanted. I don't want full dark, but a lot closer than what the game has now.Xx9m479.png0rmI9bm.pngcdu9myK.png

Top image is default game, hook turned off... Middle is my color/sharpness/contrast/levels adjustments without HDR, used for areas that are too dark to see what I am doing, and bottom is full HDR. Again, maybe not as dark as some people are looking for, but a lot of this can be done with the right tweaks. This is just my personal preference.

I would love to see an option for darker night. I've played other games that have more realistic night darkness, and it sure boosts immersion. That's where torches and other light sources come into their own- they light your way, as it should be.

I usually can't tell when it's day or night in this game, unless I look at the sky or have weapon skins that light up during night time hours. I really miss the night time experience.

@sorudo.9054 said:with Nvidia experience you can use game filters to get all that, you can make your game as dark or as light as much as you want and you don't have to leave the game.

The options for it are fairly limited, though PSA: They include options for colour-blindness now... the options for something like ReShade or GW2Hook are highly refined and specialized, and let you tweak all kinds of individual little things... and replace the god-awful bloom that GW2 uses for its engine with something actually worth using. These two injectors, for the record, ALSO have options for colour-blindness

Something I noticed some time ago. I normally play on really low settings (laptop :s ) but I wanted a nice looking screenshot so I boosted everything up and turned on the post processing and the post processing ruined the scene by making everything really bright and it no longer looked like nighttime.

@Sojourner.4621 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:with Nvidia experience you can use game filters to get all that, you can make your game as dark or as light as much as you want and you don't have to leave the game.

The options for it are fairly limited, though PSA: They include options for colour-blindness now... the options for something like ReShade or GW2Hook are highly refined and specialized, and let you tweak all kinds of individual little things... and replace the god-awful bloom that GW2 uses for its engine with something actually worth using. These two injectors, for the record, ALSO have options for colour-blindness

and they take allot of extra loading, something no one wants on slower computers.also, if you know what you do, the nvidia version can do it allot better, they also have direct access to every single piece of what the game and the vid card can give without any performance loss.

@sorudo.9054 said:

and they take allot of extra loading, something no one wants on slower computers.also, if you know what you do, the nvidia version can do it allot better, they also have direct access to every single piece of what the game and the vid card can give without any performance loss.

I am running said slower computer... a 9 year old CPU, Phenom II x4 3.4GHz and a r9 270 and only 8GB memory cause my MB won't support more... Hook didn't lower my FPS at all. My average FPS is exactly the same as before I installed it... no settings changes at all in graphics. And no, there are dozens of Post-Process injectors on Hook/ReShade, but there are much fewer options on Nvidia Experience... and they are filters not injectors, which means it can't handle things like HDR and Bloom, game fog removal, settings tied to specific MAPS that change automatically so that you get warmer tones in the desert but colder tones in say the Shiverpeaks... etc. Hook is like... 100x more powerful with what it can do.

Archived