Brightest dyes?

Tea.2740

Agree about the Electro dyes. Don't forget you can preview ALL dyes on your toon including the ones you don't own, by choosing the "show locked" (I think that's what it's called) in the dye pane. That way you can pick what you like best, not just what's most expensive or what others like. Have fun! p.s. About Permafrost, I really don't see the appeal. It wipes out detail. So I'm perfectly happy with Celestial for white.

GW2BLTC has a dye matcher.

Here's the link to the list of dyes that are closest to #FFFFFF (the 'hex' code for Permafrost's color):https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search?cloth=ffffff&ipg=25&page=1&sort=cloth

You can compare the color and the current cost.

Caveats

• GW2 identifies colors in 3 dimensions, while the Matcher only compares in a single, combined dimension (see below for why that can be misleading)
  • The impact of color (especially in this game) varies depending on material, lighting, and what other colors are in use. In the extreme, in a dark room, all colors look alike.
  • Some of the game's biggest fans of dye believe that some dyes also offer additional features; this isn't capture in the API/wiki.

More on measuring "close matches"Computer dye measurmenets can be thought of as similar to using GPS coordinates: there's a number measuring position for east/west, north/south, and height. You can simplify the distance between two points by using one measurement, e.g. LA to New York is just under 4000 km (2451 miles), but that ignores height and the fact that cars can't drive directly (it's about 10% farther as the crow drives compared to as it flies).

The Dye Matcher similarly simplifies finding a match to looking at the total 'distance' from one color to another, rather than comparing all three. Thus you'll see something with an intense green hue be a closer match than something that looks more white, because the non-green elements are a closer match than the off-white's.

tl;dr the Matcher is a great tool, but it makes some approximations; be sure to actually compare in game.

• 4 years later...

Bright Whites: after Permafrost, Eternal Ice is the brightest and not too expensive. Celestial is great too & less expensive, but slightly more yellow-y + not as bright as Eternal Ice (especially on metals). 

1. Permafrost

2. Eternal Ice

3. Celestial

Colorful Brights: the Electro dyes are all great & Magma (a very bright red) is definitely an honorable mention from me! Electro dyes include Electro Blue, Electro Pink, Electro Lime, Electro Lemon, Electro Peach, and Electro Purple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jaz.3541 said:

Bright Whites: after Permafrost, Eternal Ice is the brightest and not too expensive. Celestial is great too & less expensive, but slightly more yellow-y + not as bright as Eternal Ice (especially on metals). 

1. Permafrost

2. Eternal Ice

3. Celestial

Colorful Brights: the Electro dyes are all great & Magma (a very bright red) is definitely an honorable mention from me! Electro dyes include Electro Blue, Electro Pink, Electro Lime, Electro Lemon, Electro Peach, and Electro Purple.

Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4