Thief Balance Patch Notes

arenta.2953

Thief

We felt that the current offering of stolen items wasn't scaling well enough with the difficulty of raid bosses, so we added a selection of new stolen items that have effects tailored to the needs of a raid party. The deadeye's malice generation, while appropriate for normal enemies, ended up scaling poorly against larger bosses with lots of health. Losing malice because of a mark time-out in a long fight felt disappointing, so we updated Deadeye's Mark to preserve malice stacks when marking the same target again. We also increased the power of several rifle skills to account for the higher health of PvE enemies.

Consume Plasma (Stolen Skill): This skill now grants alacrity for 3 seconds in addition to its previous boons.Deadeye's Mark: This skill no longer drains malice when marking the same target again. Reduced the recharge from 30 seconds to 25 seconds. Increased the mark duration from 25 seconds to 30 seconds.Deadly Aim: Increased damage in PvE by 25%.Spotter's Shot: Increased damage in PvE by 21%.Three Round Burst: Increased damage in PvE by 15%.Death's Judgment: Scaling per malice increased from 15% to 20% in PvE.Bountiful Theft: This trait will now grant alacrity to nearby allies for 3 seconds if it removes alacrity from enemies.Fire for Effect: Reduced internal cooldown on this trait from 1 second to 0.5 seconds to better sync with stolen-skill recharge.

The steal table has been updated with raid-specific skills in raid areas of the game. These skills are as follows and have been placed on certain creatures and bosses throughout each section:Unstable Artifact: Shadowstep to an area and deliver a large immobilizing strike. If a downed ally is in your targeted area, you will instead shadowstep that ally to your location and partially revive them.Detonate Plasma: Activate this skill to apply many boons to nearby allies.Soul Stone Venom: Use a corrupted soul stone to immediately remove all conditions from nearby allies, converting each unique condition removed into an instance of Soul Stone Venom on that ally. When attacking while this venom is active, an additional strike that's sourced from the applying thief will be applied to all of your successful hits.Magnetic Bomb: Throw a magnetic bomb that continuously damages and pulls enemies to a point.

Quite the dmg boost for PvESadly not much change for PvP....oh well i'll take this as a win

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dDuff.3860 said:I'm unhappy about changes.Like really, PvE buffs?.

to be fair, we needed it.with our lack of pierces, unblockables, AoEs, and loss of our mobility. our dmg really was reduced compared to other range.

so this will really help in PvE (though i still say we should have gotten a pulsing stability on kneel)

but it isn't going to help us at all in PvP =/

pitty they didn't touch it at all for that..

Great buff for me in WvW with the Malice loss removed upon remark. The Malice stacks have always been secondary to the Mug/Bountiful Theft/Daze/Stun for me, in which I use Mercy liberally for - now I will retain the growing damage to finish off the targets quicker!

@MUDse.7623 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:permanent max malice could be fun if you want to annoy people in WvW ..

still no stability though =(

even the buff to consume plasma doesn't help as we don't get that as a steal option =(

yes but now you can run a s/x DE build with swindlers equilibrium without losing the damage bonus, wich is nice. or trickery..

true. very true =D

though i'm more surprised Pistol Whip wasn't touched xD as spammable as ever

@arenta.2953 said:

@Imperadordf.2687 said:Get ready peepsGet ready for the “Dedaye too Opee nerf plz it oneshotz me evrytim” from plebs of WvW.

This is the only patch we’ve had without Thief nerfs in like.. a long time.

anyone who says that can go meet insta death mesmer mindwrack <.<

Well, yeah but I’m not upset about those Mesmer changes since I main Mesmer too :P

But I think Death’s Judgement will be almost always max. damage if I understood the patch notes correctly. Otherwise, I’m so happy Thief didn’t get nerfed for once.

@arenta.2953 said:

@Iyomi.5374 said:They forgot to address the Perfectionist issue with this perma-max malice change.

good point

will using mark when you maxed immediately give it to you......or will it have a background counter

or do you not get it...

You only get it once per max-malice stack. If you want it again, you have to reset your stack.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:I no longer feel like I am forced to commit into a bad situation in WvW thanks to the malice changes! I can just follow them around while they nervously shuffle. Death is patient. Death comes on swift wings. And death... always gets the last laugh you bastards.

Yeah, that is, if your target hasn't cleaned the camp and left somewhere else. :bleep_bloop:

When reading the patch note, I don't just look at the changes to the Thief rather what changes to other professions that will affect the Thief. Thus, regardless of the (lack of) nerf directed at the Thief, Mesmer will continue to overshadow this profession. The changes to Mesmer is just insane. I can have 3 clones and 3 phantasms at the same time, shatter the clones before the phantasm breaks, then shatter again. With Chronomancer, the Mesmer can cycle through all shatters really well. So why bring the Thief again? /facepalm

I'm happy for the Mesmer since this is a very nice upgrade, but I guess the Thief will have to warm the bench longer.

Edit: thoughts were faster than my fingers

Archived