New to the game invested in mesmer, now i don't see why even bother

Crackmonster.2790

Whenever i come to games i start by digging deep into theorycrafting and meta situation just to make sure i won't be playing something useless and giving myself a hard time in group content/pvp. Now i came here to GW2 and i started researching and eventually after a long time i settled on mesmer/chronomancer, a nice skill class that was capable of decent sustained dps, as well as having a nice toolkit to the side.

I started getting attached to my character.. spending hours literally to get the perfect model down. Spending my gems from collectors on things like additional bag slots and the like. I was looking forward to see what these changes you were "excited" to announce would be. However i was already starting to fear, especially when i saw your posts.. Was highly unlikely to be good.

For Chrono you've butchered their dps by making phantasm disappear by themselves. Now it's just gonna be sucker level. It really was in the cards wasn't it, obvious to see coming. You were removing our source of sustained, and in order to compensate you increased our burst from the one attack phantasms do. However, you couldn't really boost their first hit too much or it will be broken op at oneshotting. So naturally, they are now just meh'ish, and gives us more burst but severely butchers our sustained damage. You also destroyed condi mirage sustained dps with the nerfs.

I don't give a shit about being a nice little support dude there to buff up others with my chrono alacrity and what not - you butchered my worth in these changes. What you had to do which was entirely not addressed was that you had to boost base damage of other skills that aren't cooldown burst, like clone damage, autoattack damage etc. You barely even touched any of these things making me think you didn't really think about obvious things? A lot more you are like lets just destroy this aspect of mesmer, and then give it some months maybe a year to see what we can do to make it useful again.

Furthermore what you did just even more not only set us up for more nerfs for burst like power shatter. You destroyed our sustained dps viability - there we are garbage cans now just whateverish, and in return you gave us more bursts which you can be sure will lead to epic crying and whining and eventually nerfs. That then will mean when you nerfed that we have almost no strengths left whatsoever so by then, months or a year+, you will realize that we need baseline improvements. It may even be more ideal if we spawn many more clones than now, such that shattering will be desireable since we can replace faster, and increase their damage etc.

So at the end of the day what will left for mesmer will be burst in pvp - and i guess no dps tank also? What future is there in playing a class that is so limited in what it can do well?

So yea guys im just wondering if i can get back the bag unlocks and the total makeover(since your hair colors are locked in there) since there is now no point in playing the mesmer after these "exciting" changes? It's not even level 80 yet. I mean i don't want double benefit you can just delete the mesmer afterwards.

I have played too many games sticking to mains for years and years being patient and adapting.

I have learned it is foolish to wait for devs in silence many years ago. If you want to have fun, you have to accept reality for what it is and adapt. That is true adaptation, not being naive in silence and calling that adapting. Take the power of fun into your own hands, don't let that reside with devs.

@OriOri.8724 said:You are overreacting

Whether you’re overreacting or not seems to be based on what you used Mesmer most for. If it was PvP it is a glorious day. If it’s PvE or more so raids they might as well have deleted it from the game. Guildies have been testing and the best they could muster was 19k on golem which mean real Raid you’re talking 10-15k which is not viable at all

Am I now?

The only thing that can be surprising is if the phantasm changes results in better dps than expected but as mentioned it has the logical problem that if they add all that power into it's burst capability it will be too much so i find it highly unlikely for that to happen.

I would be hugely surprised if the end result is not exactly what i have said - they gave us more burst, but they took from us a ton of our sustained damage, leading to what has been explained here.

Just you wait and see, i'm sometimes wrong but not very often. Hopefully condi mirage can be bugfixed? in regards to confusion so it may end up with decent damage. Hopefully.

@Shayd.9648 said:

Whether you’re overreacting or not seems to be based on what you used Mesmer most for. If it was PvP it is a glorious day. If it’s PvE or more so raids they might as well have deleted it from the game. Guildies have been testing and the best they could muster was 19k on golem which mean real Raid you’re talking 10-15k which is not viable at all

the class was also redesigned almost from the ground up, give them time to adjust these changes. If you honestly thought it would be anywhere near balanced right when the patch dropped then I don't know what to tell you other than you have some of the most unrealistic expectations I have ever seen.

@OriOri.8724 said:

the class was also redesigned almost from the ground up, give them time to adjust these changes. If you honestly thought it would be anywhere near balanced right when the patch dropped then I don't know what to tell you other than you have some of the most unrealistic expectations I have ever seen.

I don’t expect it to be perfect day one no. But I do expect it to be somewhat reasonable. The dps options for Mesmer in raid went from healthy to basically non-existent. I think if they had made the confusion change PvP/WvW only it would have been more or less balanced but they went from good dps to no dps in high end PvE.

Chrono the changes were more in line with my expectations. I don’t think they got it quite right but they were in the neighborhood at least and that’s all I expect.

@Shayd.9648 said:

I don’t expect it to be perfect day one no. But I do expect it to be somewhat reasonable. The dps options for Mesmer in raid went from healthy to basically non-existent. I think if they had made the confusion change PvP/WvW only it would have been more or less balanced but they went from good dps to no dps in high end PvE.

Chrono the changes were more in line with my expectations. I don’t think they got it quite right but they were in the neighborhood at least and that’s all I expect.

Except that it didn't. New benchmarks are putting power mesmer at 32k, and condi mesmer can hit at least 28k per this thread. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/27387/can-barely-get-to-8-9k-on-dps-golem#latest

I already told you, wait for this to settle down and for Anet to adjust it. This is not hte end of the world, and everyone in this thread is overreacting.

Hmmm...There must be something from the chrono side that can boost damage above the core SS S/F build now. Need to find that out.

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@MyriadStars.5679 said:Interesting. Does he use sword/sword only? I didn't see him swap weapons.

@"Knox.8962" said:Somebody should tell this guy chrono damage sucks.

Looks like S/S S/F to me

Funny, i wrote this earlier then was like nah lets not give them any good ideas but.. i just love being right too much. Second part came mostly true, situation was too good to be true, the first part will also eventually when the QQing lines up. Am impressed with anet actually addressing things unlike many other games they could have left obviously broken in for ages. All in all i think especially power mesmer now has gotten to be a real good class its really difficult to play right but rewarding if you can, but will always be a struggle to play competitively with it as constant main because it's simply quite a hard class to master and requires a great deal of attention to detail all the time. Here's the message(luckily it was left in browser window):

Hehe, now let's see how this turns out.

I underestimated their folly - they actually gave power mesmer so much more burst that even our sustained was improved. This is probably not a good idea, and as mentioned in OP we will probably see epic crying about this until we get nerfed til a lower sustained point than before since after all if they remove sustained sources and give burst sources and we are already one of the best bursters, then they can't just give more average power folded into insane bursts without breaking game so logically we should end up lower avg than before but increased burst. I guess that's good enough for pvp.

So we have the condi mirage..... Just staff/staff and almost only autoattack now yields absolutely insane dps? Too good to be true, but also so boring and OP given how condi's can have such a huge uptime on avoiding everything. They are discussing if this is a bug on larger targets or what, but even so with confusion nerfs, we will probably just see staffs being the PvE build now and supremely boring but easy too. You think they will let us stay best/near best while being extremely easy with almost no way to make mistakes and at the same time highly mobile as well as some of the most defensive in game at the same time, able to avoid lots of encounter shit? It's also too much to be true with these advantages chances are we will get to be dps slightly above middle of the pack.

Then again, they have demonstrated their folly once, hopefully they will do it again but letting us have the longer end of that stick for a long time.

@"Crackmonster.2790" said:Whenever i come to games i start by digging deep into theorycrafting and meta situation just to make sure i won't be playing something useless and giving myself a hard time in group content/pvp. Now i came here to GW2 and i started researching and eventually after a long time i settled on mesmer/chronomancer, a nice skill class that was capable of decent sustained dps, as well as having a nice toolkit to the side.

I started getting attached to my character.. spending hours literally to get the perfect model down. Spending my gems from collectors on things like additional bag slots and the like. I was looking forward to see what these changes you were "excited" to announce would be. However i was already starting to fear, especially when i saw your posts.. Was highly unlikely to be good.

For Chrono you've butchered their dps by making phantasm disappear by themselves. Now it's just gonna be sucker level. It really was in the cards wasn't it, obvious to see coming. You were removing our source of sustained, and in order to compensate you increased our burst from the one attack phantasms do. However, you couldn't really boost their first hit too much or it will be broken op at oneshotting. So naturally, they are now just meh'ish, and gives us more burst but severely butchers our sustained damage. You also destroyed condi mirage sustained dps with the nerfs.

I don't give a kitten about being a nice little support dude there to buff up others with my chrono alacrity and what not - you butchered my worth in these changes. What you had to do which was entirely not addressed was that you had to boost base damage of other skills that aren't cooldown burst, like clone damage, autoattack damage etc. You barely even touched any of these things making me think you didn't really think about obvious things? A lot more you are like lets just destroy this aspect of mesmer, and then give it some months maybe a year to see what we can do to make it useful again.

Furthermore what you did just even more not only set us up for more nerfs for burst like power shatter. You destroyed our sustained dps viability - there we are garbage cans now just whateverish, and in return you gave us more bursts which you can be sure will lead to epic crying and whining and eventually nerfs. That then will mean when you nerfed that we have almost no strengths left whatsoever so by then, months or a year+, you will realize that we need baseline improvements. It may even be more ideal if we spawn many more clones than now, such that shattering will be desireable since we can replace faster, and increase their damage etc.

So at the end of the day what will left for mesmer will be burst in pvp - and i guess no dps tank also? What future is there in playing a class that is so limited in what it can do well?

So yea guys im just wondering if i can get back the bag unlocks and the total makeover(since your hair colors are locked in there) since there is now no point in playing the mesmer after these "exciting" changes? It's not even level 80 yet. I mean i don't want double benefit you can just delete the mesmer afterwards.

Chronos, Mirages, and even base Mesmer's are doing more dps now than ever... You just have to actually play the game and not just Alt+Tab+Youtube videos while your phantasms aa.

Archived