Bomb nerf

Nephalem.8921

What's the reason behind the bomb nerf?Was it because holo was too strong or just a really bad sword buff? Sword gameplay is just bad in pve. It's just all instant toolbelt skills and aa. Such builds should never be strong.Sword shouldn't have cdr per hit. That just destroys all rotations outside of aa -> 2.Instant just damage toolbelt skills are boring to begin with. Playing with 3 of them would be a horrible gameplay experience.Press this button off cd whenever possible is just bad gamedesign. At least implement autocast on multiple skills for that.

It would be replaced by sword. sword doesn't really have a rotation at all because you need to spam aa for refraction cutter. Its just bad game design.If you take sword you would also take rifle turret + photon wall for toolbelt skills. So the rotation is 90% forge aa + sword aa with refraction cutter and toolbelt off cd.No skill required. At least rifle had some kit swaps.No phantasm on chrono also means no slow on bosses. So both changes end up in a ~4% dmg loss for holo. That doesn't look high but is completely unnecessary in pve and nobody used bombs in pvp anyways.

@Nephalem.8921 said:It would be replaced by sword. sword doesn't really have a rotation at all because you need to spam aa for refraction cutter. Its just bad game design.If you take sword you would also take rifle turret + photon wall for toolbelt skills. So the rotation is 90% forge aa + sword aa with refraction cutter and toolbelt off cd.No skill required. At least rifle had some kit swaps.No phantasm on chrono also means no slow on bosses. So both changes end up in a ~4% dmg loss for holo. That doesn't look high but is completely unnecessary in pve and nobody used bombs in pvp anyways.

There is no 4% damage loss, at least not based on the information in this post. You're leaving out the buffs to sword damage as well as the new 5% damage firearms trait which is an upgrade over the Ferocity.

It's interesting to me over the past few updates how many people want to keep using bombs. I seem to recall a lot of complaining years ago that it was boring to always have bombs as the only damage build...

@Adamantium.3682 said:

@Nephalem.8921 said:It would be replaced by sword. sword doesn't really have a rotation at all because you need to spam aa for refraction cutter. Its just bad game design.If you take sword you would also take rifle turret + photon wall for toolbelt skills. So the rotation is 90% forge aa + sword aa with refraction cutter and toolbelt off cd.No skill required. At least rifle had some kit swaps.No phantasm on chrono also means no slow on bosses. So both changes end up in a ~4% dmg loss for holo. That doesn't look high but is completely unnecessary in pve and nobody used bombs in pvp anyways.

There is no 4% damage loss, at least not based on the information in this post. You're leaving out the buffs to sword damage as well as the new 5% damage firearms trait which is an upgrade over the Ferocity.

It's interesting to me over the past few updates how many people want to keep using bombs. I seem to recall a lot of complaining years ago that it was boring to always have bombs as the only damage build...

The firearms trait is like 0,7-1% stronger than no scope. Pinpoint is still stronger in condi groups.Sword is still slightly weaker than bomb rotation so the buffs to sword are worthless for dps. Using bombs with grenades and rifle is still much better gameplay than using sword aa with instant toolbelts. Thats bullshit gameplay.No sane person wanted sword to be competetive. They could've made it better than bombs which would have been great but not in the form it has right now. Like i said earlier, you are punished for using anything thats not sword aa because it directly comepetes with refraction cutter and not only sword aa.Sword also is so unbelievable slow like it was designed to be only usable with quickness.And that new dmg modifier... ON A TIER which already had 2 dps options. 1 for power and 1 for condi.This is still a holo pve nerf.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

It's interesting to me over the past few updates how many people want to keep using bombs. I seem to recall a lot of complaining years ago that it was boring to always have bombs as the only damage build...No sane person wanted sword to be competetive.

You lost me there, enjoy your bubble where you are right and everyone else is insane.

@Adamantium.3682 said:

It's interesting to me over the past few updates how many people want to keep using bombs. I seem to recall a lot of complaining years ago that it was boring to always have bombs as the only damage build...No sane person wanted sword to be competetive.

You lost me there, enjoy your bubble where you are right and everyone else is insane.

So whats so good about only doing aa and toolbelt skills off cd? I just dont get it.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

So whats so good about only doing aa and toolbelt skills off cd? I just dont get it.

You are implying that Rifle Holosmith is gone with this nerf, it isn't not at all, i bet ya it still is at even levels with condi engi.

@Ivantreil.3092 said:

You are implying that Rifle Holosmith is gone with this nerf, it isn't not at all, i bet ya it still is at even levels with condi engi.

No i'm just saying that sword holo is braindead and should not be buffed.

What do you get out of insulting other play styles that you don't like? Does letting bomb auto spam itself while all your skills recharge feel more elite to you or something? Why does it bother you so much if other people like to use sword?

Anet is doing a pretty good job at building up build diversity. I think it's great sword and rifle are so close (whichever one is in front by a few percent that you will never realize in combat), in addition to the condi build which is just a bit behind, the Holo PvP build, and what looks like a good Scrapper PvP/WvW build becoming viable.

This is definitely not a holo nerf. In SC discord ppl have already been trying both builds. The sword build is buffed a bit in overall DPS but it is still slightly lower than the rifle build that it also got a bit better burst than before patch. People have been managing 41K opening bursts with the rifle using thermal vision. So the changes are quite good for both builds.

And many people wanted sword to be competitive cause it is supposed to be the elite spec weapon.

Hell this patch even managed to bring scrapper out of the gutter by making it a barrier bot. Should work very well at least on WvW.

Archived