So it seems like everyone is moaning that the Deadeye doesn't have very good damage (which is kinda false) and are treating deadeye like a pve only spec (which it isn't). Uh... chances are they probably didn't try it enough during PoF beta or even looked at the traits and skills extensively. Maybe spent 5 minutes with a DPS meter, but nothing beyond that. So I made a hypothetical support build for this thread to show those of you who think this way that you couldn't be any more wrong. c:
So according to the build, simply landing Deadeye's Mark gives you and your allies:
(Thrill of the Crime)
(Steal Warmth x2)
(Fire for Effect)
So right now, by casting Deadeye's Mark on an Elementalist and then immediately using the two stolen skills, our allies have:
All in a few seconds. At this point, guard is just there for protection, aegis and regen. c:
Oh wait, the ele just died. Renewing Gaze happens. Let's do that again! \o/
Now let's talk about damage. Let's say you wanna maximize your damage or something instead of put Guardian to shame. (fart noise)
Let's see what the Deadeye could pull off in the best conditions, using what we have:
Raw Damage = (Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient)
Raw Damage vs. Armor = (Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient) / Armor
Buffed Damage vs. Armor = (Skill damage * Positive multipliers) / (Armor * Negative multipliers)
Weapon Strength: 1265
Skill Coefficient: 1.65
Positive Multipliers: 1.15 x 1.75 x 1.1 (from scholar runes)
Crit Multiplier: 234.93% --> 2.35 (rounded up)
Total Multiplier: 5.2023125 --> 5.2 (rounded down)
Raw Skill Damage:
1265 x 4587 x 1.65 = 9574215.75 --> 9574216 (rounded up)
Buffed Skill Damage:
9574216 x 5.2 = 49785923.2
Buffed Skill Damage vs. Light Target Golem (2185):
49785923.2 / 2185 = 22785 (rounded down)
Buffed Skill Damage vs. Heavy Target Golem (2597):
49785923.2 / 2597 = 19171 (rounded up)
Buffed Skill Damage vs. Block of Hard (5466 after stunbreak):
49785923.2 / 5466 = 9108 (rounded down)
Perfectest world... Block of Hard vs 9001 Deadeye, Block of Hard has full vuln/protection and recently broken out of a stun and is reviving someone, defense banner present and is under half health. 9001 Deadeye max power level
49785923.2 x 1.20 = 59743107.84
59743107.84 / 5653 = 10568 (rounded down)
(10568 x 1.25) / (1.25 x 1.33)
13210 / 1.6625 = 7946 (rounded up)
Now while this assumes the Death's Judgement has landed as a crit, a thief can easily gain 40% Crit Chance by simply kneeling and hitting 2. Which means his crit rate starts getting wasted at 60% crit chance. Now I cannot guarantee that all of this is accurate, but if I was shooting at something with this discussion it would be dead or dying.
Point being of this whole discussion, the damage can get pretty stupid with the Deadeye. The Deadeye is also capable of keeping your squad buffed midfight much better than most professions. In fact, it is possible to balance your build for both. This means that Deadeye is not only fantastic in WvW, but it could be generally used in any gamemode for support and long ranged pressure. And because of this, I can say with much confidence that Deadeye could punt d/p daredevil out of its +1 throne like a chihuahua.
That is just one instance I made above. But players, more often than not, get close to these combat conditions. So dismissing the Deadeye's damage capability because a realtime auto-calculator said so is ignorant. From my Deadeye Tips&Tricks write up, I stated a few things I know people won't agree with. However, like with this post I crunched numbers before I came to those conclusions and posted them. Because otherwise it would be misleading and horrible for thieves who want a little more from an elite spec everyone else is downplaying. Not only that, but for bad reasons too, like no mobility or gimmicky/boring/RP gameplay. All three of them being complete BS btw.
The issue is not the spec, but the player. The Deadeye has so many capabilities core AND Daredevil thief does not. But all I have seen are players complaining and comparing Deadeye to Daredevil like they have any common ground. The reality is that Deadeye is a sniper. A sniper stays still, kills from afar and then gets the kitten out of dodge. The Daredevil is a warrior monk. They beat your face in up close, with fist and stick. Comparing the two is more like comparing an M1A1 and a Boeing AH-64 Apache more than apples to oranges.
But this is kind of expected. So I don't expect these numbers to convince you of anything. But I warn you, all it takes is a few thieves picking this spec up and performing well with it. This spec is way more than everyone gives it credit for and it will come and bite you when you least expect it. Almost literally.
EDIT: general cleanup
A good player can succeed with whatever is meta. A great player can succeed with whatever they want.
[Vial of Salt]
PSA: Deadeye isn't bad, you're just bad at using it. Out of Date
These DE tips are still relevant. Out of Date