Fire-Breathing Longbow

@Obtena.7952 said:Crying about RNG? Honestly, you shouldn't be playing MMO's at all if this bothers you that much. Every single reward you get in an MMO is RNG, right from killing mobs up.

Loot drop RNG is one thing. Paying to get RNG loot is entirely different. Don't get me wrong, I get why it's done. But I refuse to participate in lottery. Buying random items from a limited, exhaustable pool? Fine by me. Buying a chance to drop something? Nope.

@"Daroon.1736" said:The days of loot boxes in games are numbered:https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/19/16783136/loot-boxes-video-games-gambling-legal

Not really, the US government and Germany talked about keeping loot boxes away from kids, and France and a few other countries are only opposed to pay to win loot boxes, even most of the discussion in the US had been about pay to win with some stating explicitly that cosmetic boxes are acceptable. This causes 2 issues, most online gamers are not children, the average age is above even young adult, and the second being the boxes don't fit the pay to win problem.

Not a "goober" I just wanted the skin. But I don't pay more for keys than I would for the skin outright. Got a few things I've been eyeballing at least to more or less make up for the cash, but after $20 my thoughts for any skin instantly go from "I want" to "not worth it." Arena Net isn't getting another dollar from me for that skin until it is a direct buy in the gem store.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@"Daroon.1736" said:The days of loot boxes in games are numbered:

Not really, the US government and Germany talked about keeping loot boxes away from kids, and France and a few other countries are only opposed to pay to win loot boxes, even most of the discussion in the US had been about pay to win with some stating explicitly that cosmetic boxes are acceptable. This causes 2 issues, most online gamers are not children, the average age is above even young adult, and the second being the boxes don't fit the pay to win problem.

It's not about pay to win, it's about whether the countries involved consider them as gambling. Belgium is actively seeking legislation to ban them and as they are part of the European union, any such legislation they introduced could be adopted throughout much of Europe.

With regards to 'children' - if any such ban were to be introduced, game makers who offered such boxes in game would need to introduce stringent measures to ensure that no players under the legal gambling age in any particular territory had access to the game.

@"Arkham Creed.7358" said:Not a "goober" I just wanted the skin. But I don't pay more for keys than I would for the skin outright. Got a few things I've been eyeballing at least to more or less make up for the cash, but after $20 my thoughts for any skin instantly go from "I want" to "not worth it." Arena Net isn't getting another dollar from me for that skin until it is a direct buy in the gem store.

Whilst i support you taking a stand, I doubt you willget your wish. Look how many keys were bought by players in this thread alone. Now multiply tha across a considerably larger population and their strategy is working. When either no one buys keys or their hand is forced by legislatory means, then things will change and we can do away with rng in this way.

Archived