Straightforward, non-reflex/combo oriented profession

Winegum.2395

(This question is strictly about sPvP and WvW)

I have been playing Mirage in sPvP (Carrion Ineptitude - https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Carrion_Ineptitude) and realized I don't really enjoy the playstyle. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but it feels very twitchy and reflex intensive because you need to execute quick combos in a short time to do most of your damage (e.g. see the burst combo section in the link above)

I'm looking for a more straightforward (slower?) class that doesn't rely as much on fast combos to do well. I don't mind having to do a "rotation" of specific skills after each other, I just don't want to have to do it all in a tiny burst of time. For example, the mirage burst requires landing a shatter in the middle of a mirage thrust mid-air. Another example of this with mesmer (although not in PVP) is executing something like the thaumanova reactor trick, where you have to cast CS within the cast time of Mimic. Not a fan of fast precise timings like that.

I'm also going to remove elementalist from the pool just because Im not a fan of the idea. So of the other 7 professions, how would you rank them in terms of their twitchy/reflexive/fast combo requirement?

Here is how I'd rank twitchy-Ness and gimmicky combos based in what you have said above. I am by no means a professional anything in Gw2, but have one of each profession.

1-10 (One being the "twitchiest").

1: Thief: Requires constant movement and being able to weave in and out of the fray. Probably the highest risk, highest reward class. Stealth is very reactive and you have to basically be on your toes at all times.

2: Elementalist: Constant attunement swapping to be effective on top of being very squishy if you get focused.

3: Mesmer: You have said it already. Haha.

4: Engineer: A lot of their abilities are gimmicky and require "playing the piano".

5: Renegade: Due to their energy system and lack of sustained condi clear, they require careful attention to detail to survive. The class as a whole feels unpolished. I love revenant though. Haha.

6: Ranger: Managing the pet requires attention to detail. Overall an easier class to play...especially if you are running druid.

7: Necromancer: Has a 2nd life pool (unless you go scourge). Very high base life pool. Doesn't really require too much as far as playing goes. Can feel slow.

8: Warrior: Has a lot of sustain and a very high health pool. Has decent mobility for a heavy armor class. Is very forgiving and has quote a few tools at their disposal.

9: Guardian: Has a lot at their disposal. Very forgiving to play. Literally has a "reset button" as an elite that can basically set you back to full HP haha. Very strong class.

Some aspects of the above hold true but it's pretty important to consider builds. WvW and sPvP are vastly different as well. Playing WvW as a damage dealer requires much twitchier and faster play than in sPvP because opponents in WvW will simply just be more dangerous.

Almost anything going glassy damage is going to require good reflexes and quick play when against a skilled and knowledgeable opponent who is doing the same. Quick decision-making and mechanical prowess are the definitions behind skilled play after all.

The more damage, and in particular, burst, you opt for, the more twitchy or fast you're going to need to be, and the only real offset to this is pretty much knowing combos except two professions.

What you're really looking for sounds more like a profession which can have moderate success with the highest margin of error in terms of responding to someone engaging you.

From the most-forgiving to more twitchy, this pretty much comes down to:WvW:

• (Meta) Spellbreaker
  • SA Deadeye**
  • Scourge**
  • (Meta) Firebrand**
  • (Meta) Holosmith**
  • MMS/SoS ranger**

sPvP:

• (Meta) Firebrand**
  • (Meta) Spellbreaker
  • (Meta) Holosmith**
  • (Meta) Scourge**
  • (Meta) Ranger

**mostly considered over-performers or simply easy cheese. Don't expect people to carry on about you being good while playing them.

Everything else based on what you've said is totally off the table.

Unless there's some kind of medical or similar impairment you're facing which makes playing high-speed professions impossible, I'd honestly suggest you take the time to learn; it'll make you a much better player overall and force you to learn what your opponents are doing, which lets you switch between various professions, roles, and builds easier.

Archived