Visual Spam

This issue can't be raised often enough! Last night, I did the "Butch" bounty in Crystal Oasis. I've switched to super shade on my scourge because of the changes, so I'm not sure if it was always this big, or the sand effects that bright, but gods. Combined with the constant white damage-taken borders, the bright desert sky, my own kitten effects taking up the entire screen, I couldn't even read what the commander was saying. The text was obscured by mine, the boss', and everyone else's combat effects. Pink mesmer stuff, lots of blue, the huge sword-wall thing, lots of boss and mini-moa noise... I think the boss was a bird, but I'm not really sure. To call the whole event a cluster-kitten is an understatement.

Sorry to the commander if I borked things up. I couldn't actually see what you were chat-bubbling :'(

@Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:Do you think the visual effects are excessive?

Absolutely, yes.

I did my first Dragon's Stand meta in like 6 months yesterday. And I couldn't believe how invisible my character was along with my target and ALL of the tells. You just cross your finger and hope you're safe... but then drop dead because you were standing in one of those fire trails on the ground that was impossible to see. It's just wayyyyyy too much.

Excelsior.

I might play the profession with the most subtle effects (not surprising though) but sometimes it is too much when people aroind me or bosses do their stuff. But then, artists need those effects in a video game which is by nature an audio-visual media. When I watch a movie and it has the infamous cinema way of sound editing (quiet dialogues but super loud action compared to the rest) I gotta jump for the remote control of my stereo. But after all it is a part of that scene. If boss fights or spell effects look like 50 cent kids firework I would be underwhelmed.

God yes. This is why I stopped playing, except for living world episodes, and stopped buying gems. Anet can’t fix it or they would have years ago. ESO allows you to turn off other people’s spell effects except for the ones they require synergy with other players. It makes it so much easier to see tells. I don’t know why Anet can’t accomplish this after all these years.

Archived