Engineer will never work until Anet decide to add a 2nd weapon set to the class

michelada.2947

the only viable build right now for engineer is holosmith, and you know why? , because you can have a 2nd set of skill for free. Eles and engineers are the only classes that can't have a 2nd weapon set but compared to the ele that can have 20 weapon skills no matter what weapons you choose, enginners are forced to use kits that removes utility slot from your build.i just got tired of trying to make this class work, i hope Anet notice that engineer class need some work to be on par with the other classes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@michelada.2947 said:the only viable build right now for engineer is holosmith, and you know why? , because you can have a 2nd set of skill for free. Eles and engineers are the only classes that can't have a 2nd weapon set but compared to the ele that can have 20 weapon skills no matter what weapons you choose, enginners are forced to use kits that removes utility slot from your build.i just got tired of trying to make this class work, i hope Anet notice that engineer class need some work to be on par with the other classes.

scrapper is a friggin juggernaut after the patch

holosmith has two effective builds 3 if you count pve

what was overnerfed was condi cleanse tho

@Rezzet.3614 said:

@michelada.2947 said:the only viable build right now for engineer is holosmith, and you know why? , because you can have a 2nd set of skill for free. Eles and engineers are the only classes that can't have a 2nd weapon set but compared to the ele that can have 20 weapon skills no matter what weapons you choose, enginners are forced to use kits that removes utility slot from your build.i just got tired of trying to make this class work, i hope Anet notice that engineer class need some work to be on par with the other classes.

scrapper is a friggin juggernaut after the patch

holosmith has two effective builds 3 if you count pve

what was overnerfed was condi cleanse tho

I think our condi clense got better ive been taking hardlight arena and dropping it on necros and just going to town face tanking

The problem is when the Engi run Scrapper or Sword, and wants some option to fight at range. The only kit allowed is EG, but his damage is very low(grenades and mortar don't count as ranged weapon cuz miss on running foes).May be better increase the projectile speed of Mortar Kit and adjust the round trajectory(must be fast enough to hits running players).

Engi doesn't need a second set of weapons to swap with. it has a ton of versatility with Kits and tool belt skills. the thing about engi is you got to think about what is the best way to approach an encounter and adapt to it with your traits and utilities. Also it's not that hard to hit moving targets with nades or mortars... you just have to aim ahead a predict where your opponent is going to be. if you aim at their current location there is a higher chance that you will miss because they may move away.

I think that the biggest problem with engi is that it is not a great support class. even with the changes to scrapper no group is really going to want you in raids or wvw comps. because they cant offer the right combination of boon support that other classes can offer. in pvp engi is still in an okay spot because they are still a strong solo class that can offer some smaller comp group support.

You appear confused. First, there is not only one viable build.

Secondly, if you do not like the professional design, please, by all means, play another profession. The notion of demanding they ruin and destroy the functionality of the profession to suit your personal desires is unreasonable and irrational.

@Arise.6218 said:I think that the biggest problem with engi is that it is not a great support class. even with the changes to scrapper no group is really going to want you in raids or wvw comps. because they cant offer the right combination of boon support that other classes can offer. in pvp engi is still in an okay spot because they are still a strong solo class that can offer some smaller comp group support.

Support Spec for next expansion! Come on Arenanet, I think a lot of us Engineer players are feeling it! We have Tank Spec, DPS/Offense Spec. Give us something that makes people want Engineers on their team!

I guess the next question is what would work best for a weapon.

@Arise.6218 said:I think that the biggest problem with engi is that it is not a great support class. even with the changes to scrapper no group is really going to want you in raids or wvw comps. because they cant offer the right combination of boon support that other classes can offer. in pvp engi is still in an okay spot because they are still a strong solo class that can offer some smaller comp group support.

You don't run 10 support in a raid. Holo are doing just fine as a viable dps class in almost every raid fight, so yea, not bad.

Good scrapper build (finally)2 good holosmith builds for PvPand 2 holo viable PvE builds (rifle and sword).

The only part that got screwed in the last patch was the condi engi.

Other than that engineers are of the better rounded classes currently. And have been for a long time. I am not sure why you struggled to make the builds work all this time. Engis always had at least a few viable and useful builds.

@Turin.6921 said:Good scrapper build (finally)2 good holosmith builds for PvPand 2 holo viable PvE builds (rifle and sword).

The only part that got screwed in the last patch was the condi engi.

Other than that engineers are of the better rounded classes currently. And have been for a long time. I am not sure why you struggled to make the builds work all this time. Engis always had at least a few viable and useful builds.

yep condi engi is dead as fuck now, but damm there is some build diversity in holosmith now.

Engineer need bug fixes, lots of balance and a big restructuring of the toolbelt/kit prof mechanics. Engie also needs more diverse weapons to choose from.What engie don't need, because it would add to the already huge balance nightmare, and because it would rob engie from a bug chunk of its flavor and personality, is weapon swap.Weapon swap would add more problems, and not solve any.

The problem with engy is it is probably been the class most negatively effected by the overall powercreep, back when the game started engy (and ele to an extent) were the classes who could do a lot of different things on one build, problem is they powercreeped the game, and so you've had things like druid, chrono, etc that could do damage, have mobility and put out levels of support that made the little things engy did as an "all rounder" look laughable and so on, that are better "do everything" specs than engy.

Same thing with kits, most of them look tragically outdated and slow as hell, in a game that has added bucketloads of reflects/absorbs, loads of movement skills / evades, more instant cast/fast cast skills, etc, it is pretty telling that something like bomb kit has not been used for years in conquest PvP, something it should be perfect for (RIP Teldo build), but it isn't because it is frankly outdated unless you're hitting dumb AI in PvE that barely moves.

Kits also hgihlight another problem with engy, they have all these skills, yet there is ridiculous pressure on the utility slots trying to compensate for not having two weapons, trying to fit in the mobility, damage, condi clear, etc and then stunbreaks, which is basic flaw with the class, because you can't for example just pile on stun breaks to utility skills so engy has "options" for stun breaks, because there is an opportunity cost of using a skill for a stunbreak when it is also there for other reasons (and vice versa), which is obviously much less of an issue when a class has two weapons and those utility slots are not under the same level of pressure.

Finally this nonsense about being a well rounded class, the history of engy in GW2 over the game, is basically this, between decent and broken OP in PvP, PvE most of the game sub-par to nothing special, WvW for the entire game has been considered surplus to requirements for zergs, for most of the game same for guilds bar scrapper for a while (until it got nerfed into the dirt), for roaming mediocre, fine for small group (but really everything is fine for small group in WvW).

Go see guardian for what a class that has been 'well rounded' over the history of this game looks like.

@michelada.2947 said:most of the toolbelt skills are balanced around the normal skill being good and the toolbelt skill terrible, or viceversa. also half of the kits are terrible or just lazy

Maybe, but that isn't fixed with getting access to a second weapon. It's fixed with looking at the toolbelt skills. So again ... second weapon isn't the effective solution you propose it to be.

It's just like jinkz says, a lot of skills for the enginner are outdated and we don't have enough space in the utilitys for us to adapt in the meta, we are always forced to use kits, unless you are a holosmith otherwise the other engi builds have trouble finding space for all the condis and break stunts that are needed for this meta.

Grenades, bombs and mortar are pretty much useless against players, all the turrets are bad (not you water turret, i love you), a lot of traitlines make no sense, that's why i believe adding the option to have a 2nd weapon set open a lot of options for us and to be honest, just think a little and analyze, there is no reason for engis to not have a 2nd weapon set, maybe at release was ok, but not right now.

@Joxer.6024 said:

@Turin.6921 said:Good scrapper build (finally)2 good holosmith builds for PvPGot build links or they the metabattle ones?

No actual links. And i do not remember when i saw the build descibed. But the meta-battle oner should work on WvW already. Scrapper is literally a barrier bot. So you just do your normal thing and you get barriers. Should be very good as a frontliner.

@RedSPINE.7845 said:Stop asking for a weapon swap, please, that would be the worst thing to happen for the engineer ...You have 7 other classes capable of it, why don' t you play them ? Let the engineer remain an original class.

so your argument is let me be original and that's it? , like i said before, Eles have a good reason for not to have a 2nd set of weapons, engis on the other side not, that's a fact, we depend a lot on kits and this remove a lot of customization and options for the class, if i decide to go full elixirs with out a single kit, i'm in a inferior position compared to the other classes.

@Obtena.7952 said:Sure ... but a second weapon swap isn't the solution to those problems. It makes no sense to justify a 2nd weapon because of 'problems' when the 2nd weapon doesn't solve those problems.

Of course that not having a 2nd set of weapons is the core problem of the class, try to be effective with enginner with out using holosmith or any kit, good luck with that, i'm not saying that engi is useless, i'm just saying that engi with out a kit is like playing another game in nightmare difficulty and by adding the 2nd set of weapons engi would be in a good position, you know just like the other 7 classes.

It would be amazing if engi could have a 2nd set of weapons if you are not using any kit or holo.