Thoughts about this Lunar New Year

Urud.4925

First time that I participate in this event: it seems quite small compared to the winter and halloween one, but that's fine. Some achievement "just" require gold, so I'll pass on them as I'm poor. But I liked your mail "all the revenues will be used to help the citizens hit by the recent events" (or something similar). It really made me laugh :) Ehi, keep your promises! (and thanks for saying "citizens" and not "children").The dragonball is quite funny, although it puzzles me when I find people who take it too seriously: guys, it's an event to have some fun, not a ranked match! Also, just leave me wander for the map in peace when the match is over, to collect those orbs. Why do you have to kill me AFTER the match is over and you already lost?

But the biggest concern is this: am I the only one to feel like a guinea pig in a cage, when the fight is over an I hear that Asuran voice "congratulations!" ? This also happened with the snowball mayhem. Asura are using unaware people for their experiments, I'm sure.

Pray tell what part of dragon ball is funny? Dying every few seconds is not really amusing and the fact that you can't even play with your friend who is in the same party as you doesn't particularly help. Trying to find balls to grab and then finding a team mate to gang up on the opponent is hard enough when half your 3-4 player team is dead. And if you want the answer to why they kill you after you've WON, its because they finally get the chance to press 1 while you're trying to look and see who won. And to make the past 2 days of Festive Dailies to win 5 games...... Is the festive spirit of this Lunar New Year all about being competitive and winning and being burnt to a pixel crisp in a game this new year of the Dog (ironically also those born this Lunar Year will represent "Fire.")

Regarding your biggest concern: The place seems to be bigger than a guinea pig cage though :P Try running around it faster.

Hmm, yeah I can understand your point of view. But the Snowball Mayhem wasn't better as pvp event. We also had the daily for the victory and when you started in 2 vs 6 and lost 100 points, all the new players that joined in the meanwhile, they all left because it would have been impossible to recover the gap for the daily, with a smaller group. So you had to wait all the match until the opponent got their 500 points. Here at least the team is smaller and it's easier to fill it before the match starts.I mean, it's not a superfunny activity that I will play. Just something different for a change. There's not much to farm inside, so it can be skipped without any sorrow.

I enjoy Dragon Ball because it is fastpaced, the rounds goes somewhat quick, and to me it is very noticeable that I am improving.I also enjoy the new Race track around DR.The rest of the festival feels kinda eh to me. There is nothing really that keeps my interest and the achievments feels uninspiring. That might just be me though.

I am more bothered that DR is yet again the go to-area for a festival; It would have been nice if we could have festivals and seasonal events spread out more evenly across all racial cities and/or around some hubs in certain zones.

To explain the size of the event. Wintersday and halloween where ported from gw1 in the first year. Specially wintersday was even bigger in the first year. With Tixx visiting all the cities and all having festivities. The canthan new year was not ported from gw1. During the summer of 2013 (one year after launch) there was the dragon bash festival. It was tied to the living world season one and introduced dragonball arena. That is also why the arena is in the old lions arch style. That festival was not repeated.In may 2014 they released gw2 in China. It is variation of gw2 running with a different client and with different servers. I believe the lunar new year was developed for this with elements from dragon bash. Wintersday and Halloween are very EU and NA centric events. So they needed a typical Chinese event. The lunar new year was then also adopted from gw1. Obviously, have such a development means it is also introduced in our version of the game.

Thank you for the "gossip" mercury :) Since GW2 has also chinese servers, I guessed this was an event developed for them, and since they already had it, they also used it here. But I didn't know they were so old, from GW1.Today I started to see the first matches where I joined when the match was already started and my team had few players.... (they should put a cooldown of a couple of minutes, before applying again to another match, if you've just quit the previous one). Anyway, I'm happy they didn't put too many AP on this event (and in particular in the Dragon Ball). Good to try, but not to farm (imo).

@Dashiva.6149 said:I enjoy Dragon Ball because it is fastpaced, the rounds goes somewhat quick, and to me it is very noticeable that I am improving.I also enjoy the new Race track around DR.The rest of the festival feels kinda eh to me. There is nothing really that keeps my interest and the achievments feels uninspiring. That might just be me though.

I am more bothered that DR is yet again the go to-area for a festival; It would have been nice if we could have festivals and seasonal events spread out more evenly across all racial cities and/or around some hubs in certain zones.

I agree, the new race is excellent, and the new adventure is fun too. Really, the festival races have been pretty good so far.

Yeah having started the game only august last year, all the festivals have been 1st time, i both loved halloween and wintersday, both in content to do as well as the rewards.But this festival basically doesn't even exist, you just go buy the 16 divine envelopes a day and thats it. Even the decoration etc. wise you don't feel there is some special stuff going on at all.

@HyperLooser.2698 said:Yeah having started the game only august last year, all the festivals have been 1st time, i both loved halloween and wintersday, both in content to do as well as the rewards.But this festival basically doesn't even exist, you just go buy the 16 divine envelopes a day and thats it. Even the decoration etc. wise you don't feel there is some special stuff going on at all.

Now imagine having seen the same thing 4-5 years running...

@Vavume.8065 said:

@HyperLooser.2698 said:Yeah having started the game only august last year, all the festivals have been 1st time, i both loved halloween and wintersday, both in content to do as well as the rewards.But this festival basically doesn't even exist, you just go buy the 16 divine envelopes a day and thats it. Even the decoration etc. wise you don't feel there is some special stuff going on at all.

Now imagine having seen the same thing 4-5 years running...

Have in other mmorpgs, i know how it feels :/ But i don't think id get bored of Mad King events ever lol

@Fenom.9457 said:Given the smaller scale of this holiday I hope in the future it gets more time spent on it to increase content

Well, ah, it sorta did? The race and adventure are new. It's always been a stub end afterthought of a festival, something that you do a bit of but doesn't consume your play time. It does offer ways to pump up your magic find, and chances at making gold rather than losing it unless you subsidize Drooburt. I agree it's not as all-encompassing fun as the bigger ones but it's better than having no festival at all.

@Donari.5237 said:Well, ah, it sorta did? The race and adventure are new. It's always been a stub end afterthought of a festival, something that you do a bit of but doesn't consume your play time. It does offer ways to pump up your magic find, and chances at making gold rather than losing it unless you subsidize Drooburt. I agree it's not as all-encompassing fun as the bigger ones but it's better than having no festival at all.

Yeah my thoughts as well. Yeah this is not the most exciting of festivals but it is better than nothing. Summer time in GW2 feels so slow. It's a good time for Living World and catching up on any other goals you might have in-game but in terms of fests...nothing.

I am still holding out for that Canthan based expansion where they expand this and other festivals like they had in GW1. There's an entire questline associated with the Lunar New Year in GW1 and loved doing that when this time of year rolled around. Some day we might see this one get blown up and made a little more engaging.

Still the race and adventure is pretty sweet and have fun doing that so have to give credit where it's due.

With the essential removal of the green-quality envelopes, my enthusiasm for this micro-holiday has pretty much been steamrolled. They used to come from completing each daily achievement, a nice bonus 10 silver or so. Now everything's the crappy blue ones that give you 88c at a time, zzzzz.

No meta for daily or the holiday, just a bunch of achievements that either you fork over tons of gold for or give 0 AP. And then the weird ones that are repeated in different sections, from what I can tell, is for no appreciable reason.

Just a hard pass from me.

@Donari.5237 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Given the smaller scale of this holiday I hope in the future it gets more time spent on it to increase content

Well, ah, it sorta did? The race and adventure are new. It's always been a stub end afterthought of a festival, something that you do a bit of but doesn't consume your play time. It does offer ways to pump up your magic find, and chances at making gold rather than losing it unless you subsidize Drooburt. I agree it's not as all-encompassing fun as the bigger ones but it's better than having no festival at all.

Yes I do quite enjoy it it, and the race is of course new. I read the patch notes but I used it didn't register with my brain there was a new adventure?

Fireworks Festival achievement: use 300 fireworks for 5 achievement points. Repeatable for a total of 25 AP (a total of 1,500 fireworks). The problem: fireworks that qualify are bundles. You can't just rapidly click a stack of lucky new year fireworks in your inventory. You have to double click the item, then use weapon skill 1 to set off the firework in order for it to count for the achievement. For a total of 1,500 fireworks to get all the AP, that's a lot of time consuming clicking.

Last year there was a total of around 69 achievement points you could earn from Dragon Ball Arena. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lunar_New_Year_(2017_achievements)

This year, not a single achievement point at all. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_(achievements)

Instead of going with the cheaper, more readily available, Fried Golden Dumpling to feed to Drooburt's Ghost, they went with the more expensive, rare, Steamed Red Dumplings. On the first day I checked the trading post and it would have cost 209 gold at that moment to buy a full stack of the steamed red dumplings. Today, I checked the TP to find the price has more than doubled (411 gold for a full stack at that moment).

It wasn't anywhere close to this expensive to feed Drooburt's Ghost during Halloween or Wintersday to get all of the achievement points from feeding him.

@PulsarianDevil.8125 said:I disagree with anet on the use of a lunar new year event on US-based servers. I hadn't even heard of the lunar new year until I saw the event in Guild Wars 2. I had a few Chinese friends and they never even mentioned it. The event just comes across as a gimmick and a placeholder for a lack of event content.

I find that really hard to believe. I've been in SE Asia for Lunar New Year and its like Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and your birthday all rolled into one!

1. Almost impossible to leave base. You're more likely to be teleported out before you get out yourself.
  2. Sometimes after successfully getting out of the base you will STILL get teleported a few seconds later.
  3. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed

and the biggest problem of ALL

1. NO PARTICIPATION REWARDS:Results >> people leave as soon as they realize the win chance is below 100%.People only care about the 10 wins because there's nothing else.And without any form of punishment for leaving.. there's really no reason not to leave.So either punish people for leaving with a .. say.. 10 minute cooldown..or introduce participation rewards. Just anything to keep people from leaving.

And before I forget..

1. Create a second portal so you can play with friends. With friends you can organize, and strategize. With pugs you can only ignore each other and hope the two of you (yes, most matches are 2v2, 2v1, or 2v3) have a shimmer of common sense...

Archived