Would like to get PvP advice.

Buran.3796

I usually start the PvP seasons the same: I'm located somewhere at mid gold in the qualifying matches. Then I play ~90 ~150 matches until I complete one or two bizantium chest, but I can't break above gold to reach platinum (the most I got was ~1480, and the closer I get to plat the larger are the chances I got stuck in a defeat streak, rinse & repeat).

I guess that is mostly the place I deserve, but I really care to improve and to get better, so I would like to hear which things I do wrong . I gathered some fights vs other classes from the past Season 9 (in which played mostly power Herald with staff + sword + axe) to show how usually perform (some victories, some defeats) in matches at gold.

Currently I'm playing the Season 10 with a power Heral build, but this season I'm using hammer + sword + axe instead. I wasn't acquainted to the hammer from long, long time (HoT release), but so far isn't going worse (again, moving between 1300 and 1400). This full match was from the past month:

I would appreciate criticism and hints very much. Thanx in advance.

most of the time you panic and rush to use your glint heal. use it under 50% hp and when your enemy is bursting you...you know how to handle a pressured enemy but fail to handle an enemy who pressure you. do more 1v1 versus other classes and know when to go offense and when defense.few times you took bad rotations as you could be +1.dont use hammer in melee and if you like this weapon use it as it can be great surprise versus several classes.it seems you know your class. only need to learn your limits and know when to disengage.gg

i was also stuck in gold tier 3 needed 2 games to become plat. its doable and mainly ended on mistake of bad rotations of the team.

Judging mostly from the recent vid with hammer. As was mentioned earlier you have a tendency to panic glint heal way too early into engagement and when not needed. Work on staying alive better when under pressure by abusing the terrain for survivability with line of sight options, jumping puzzles for kiting, and abusing no port spots against thieves. Know when to finish off a downed enemy right away, and when to let them bleed out to waste their time, and if you want to finish them right away use facet of darkness blind to secure stomps, it works against necros, guardians, warriors, engis, rangers, revs, and even mesmers with the reveal, though in a team fight cleaving is almost always the way to go as multiple enemies can cc you. You heavily under utilize your elites, I don't know if you were using surging runes or not but the shocking aura is really useful in a lot of situations such as interrupting blurred frenzies and disrupting enemy focus. Jade winds combined with stow weapon to cancel it is really nice for baiting enemy to waste their defenses while you don't really lose anything the skill itself can also be devastating in a team fight if it lands, chaotic release is also great at baiting dodges, and the protection from the passive facet is also nice to take advantage of especially now that equilibrium no longer exists. There were also several questionable rotations like when you and 1 or 2 teammates rotated into far when most of their team was on re-spawn, the snowball could have worked but it was too slow and your teammates died before accomplishing anything.

First of all, nice gameplay :D. Good usage of youre Blocks and cc. Now for some additional tipps. You should really not camp on the point as a rev, like arthur said, use los and jp to survive and let your enemy waste their cds (for example at 3 min in the first vid, dont stand in the aoe just wait it out and burst afterwards). Also 1v1 vs nec is not the best matchup and you are better suited for roaming/teamfights. Also try not to dodge when you dont need to and work on landing axe 5 / glint aoe more often. It playes more fluently if you alrdy have youre mouse on the right spot, so you dont stand still for a whole second when aiming. Also USE KEYBINDS or a gaming mouse, it makes things much easier. Other than that try watching some pro players and 1v1 vs better players. You can whisp me ingame for rev 1v1s. Hope it helps and good luck :D

Quit using hammer.

It's not a good weapon, and the only reason it works in WvW (I'm assuming this is how you got the idea it was good) is because most everyone is gold quality or less.

If you heard people have success with hammer against scourge, once again it was because those scourge were bad and probably they were being carried by build.

^ I saw Bryvanent streams and He was replacing staff to hammer any time the enemy team was using 2+ Scourges the las season, with great success. He was playing in platinum. In the Rev forum (in which I originally made this post, no idea why the mods moved it to here) some people did hit platinum using hammer builds.

I known that sword+sword/staff is stronger in most of 1 vs 1 fights, and now that Scourges are a bit neutered the ranged play isn't as required, but after ~20 months playing PvP Herald exclusively at mele I need a change, and so far in S10 using hammer I'm not doing it worse than in S9 with staff.

Archived