What about the Scepter?

bart.3687

Hi there,Yes, another post from me about it, but it's been months, nothing has changed, and I'm just pissed out.Am I the only one who thinks that after the recent patches Scepter seriously needs help in PvE (mostly)? I mean, it has never been great or something, but right now it just feels terribad. The changes to Confusion (and the removal of confusion duration bonus from Master of Misdirection) nerfed the only somewhat worthwhile scepter skill aka Confusing Images into oblivion. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see any area in pve where Scepter could be superior to any other weapon mesmer has access to.Also, it might be subjective, but to my mind, Scepter's skills' animations/visual/sound effects are the lamest out of all other mesmer weapon skills.

So I thought some time ago that maybe Anet should make it so that Staff becomes our ranged condi weapon, and then push Scepter more into Hybrid and Power, but at this point, I don't know anymore. I just hope they'll improve it somehow, ideally rework it.My observations: Before the patches, there were at least a few condi mirages who had been swapping to Scepter occassionally for additional Confusion via Confusing images and Ether Barrage. Now, it's gone. I haven't seen one scepter-wielding Mesmer (besides myself) in PvE since the 06/02 patch.

Does anyone feel this way too? Are there even any Scepter Mesmers out there lol?Excuse my salt, I'm just kind of sad. :weary:

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:Rename scepter 3 "Tormenting Images" and change it all to torment.

/s

Hey now don’t give them any ideas they won’t realize you’re being sarcastic. Scepters needed a little love but not that kind.

They'll probably just do it anyway if the axe stays the way it is. :/

Yeah that’s the bad thing. But maybe instead of torment they’ll make it burn! 6 stacks of burning plus 4-6k crits on a hybrid build would be amazing. I could get behind that.

@Jace al Thor.6745 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:Rename scepter 3 "Tormenting Images" and change it all to torment.

/s

Hey now don’t give them any ideas they won’t realize you’re being sarcastic. Scepters needed a little love but not that kind.

Yeah that’s the bad thing. But maybe instead of torment they’ll make it burn! 6 stacks of burning plus 4-6k crits on a hybrid build would be amazing. I could get behind that.

Really, just revert Confusion changes. How hard can it be? They had it ideal, they destroyed it.

Also, it's not really Confusing Images that needs improving. In fact, even after the nerfs to confusion it's still the best skill scepter has to offer. I'd rather they changed AA and skill 2, they are both horrible.

@bart.3687 said:

/s

Really, just revert Confusion changes. How hard can it be? They had it ideal, they destroyed it.

Also, it's not really Confusing Images that needs improving. In fact, even after the nerfs to confusion it's still the best skill scepter has to offer. I'd rather they changed AA and skill 2, they are both horrible.

So I’m totally behind reverting it but that’s not going to happen. Anet HATES admitting they are wrong.

Correct, but remember that response was made to Cururen about Anet changing it to torment like they did with axe. I would like something done with the AA but I’m not sure what they would do. Increase that damage coefficients? Make it faster? Idk. I like the clone generation it’s just... slow. Sc 2 is kind of situational but it’s nice to land the torment on block.. if it lands. So yeah both could use work.

My feeling is that the buff to the Duelist's Discipline is the band aid to the Scepter in it's bad state, as iDuelist is the usual companion. I don't know if they was afraid to band aid the scepter like they did with the axe or probably they were out of time to rework it, with the iMage being more or less stronger, buff the iDuelist indirectly was the band aid for those who equip two dual weapons sets for hybrid/condition builds and Duelist's Discipline a must trait now. Who knows what they want to do with all our skills related to confusion in the future... all this is a big mess.

The Scepter need now a rework if they don't revert the confusion in pve, but they must split pve and wvw/pvp, not like the axe. Be afraid of the possible result (warden?, axe with a single condition easily cleanable?, ToT?). I hope that this time they make the right decisions more calmly and see what happens.

Scepter definitely needs some love now. But I'd rather see them address confusion as a whole, and our gutting of it. This reminds me of their approach to leather with HoT release

• They reduced our access to confusion by removing it from some skills
  • They removed our trait to increase confusion duration
  • They lowered the duration/stacks of confusion on most of the skills that still have it
  • They also gutted confusion's damage, so now our significantly reduced access to it is also less impactful

They should have started by implementing 1, max 2, of these changes at first, and then seeing how it went down, instead of implementing all 4 simultaneously.

I would really love to see Anet make dramatic change to scepter. I would like to see one of the abilities become a knockback ability which applies 5 stacks of torment, maybe replace Counterspell? Maybe make Ether Barrage standard auto-attack and replace (skill 1) Ambush with wave animation which does knockback and applies torment?I would love if they replaced Counterspell with maybe an ethereal field similar to guardian scepter Symbol of Punishment?The reason I don’t use scepter is because it lacks a contribution to mobility which is something they could add? But of course, all this is just wishful thinking.

Some ideas for scepter, traits (for Confusion and Scepter) and condition "confusion" on pve.

CONFUSION (This change only on pve)

Exactly the same formula that have now, only that in pve, when the enemy receives the "Confusion" (in the moment who receives it), at the beginning of the timer (of each Confusion), he receives complete damage, as if he had activated some ability, then continue affected, that if use any skills o attacks, receive damage, following the same mechanics until its duration ends (of the Confusion).

This change or added for "Confusion" (only on pve), we ensure a fixed damage and causing, and solve the problem we have with the mobs.

SCEPTER

Ether Confusings (Skill AA 1 scepter)Shoot a bolt of energy at your target.Damage: 183x1 Confusion (3s)Range: 900

Ether Tormentings (Skill AA 2 scepter)Shoot a second bolt of energy at your target.Damage: 183x1 Torment (3s)Range: 900

Ether Nightmare (Skill AA 3 scepter)Deliver a damaging attack directly to your target mind. Summon a clone that casts Ether Confusings. Inflict confusion and torment instead if you have the maximum number of illusions.Damage: 275x1 Confusion (3s)x1 Torment (3s)Range: 900

Illusionary Counter (Skill 2 scepter)Block the next attack. Counter by applying Torment and creating a clone that casts Ether Confusings. Inflict Confusion instead create of clone if you have the maximum number of illusions.Damage: 367x5 Torment (8s)x1 Confusion (3s) If you have the maximum number of illusions.Evade: ½sBlock Duration: 2sRange: 900

Counterspell (Skill alternative 2 scepter)Shoot out a bolt that blinds foes in a line. If they were activating or attacking, they get confused. If he was moving, you inflict torment them.Damage: 37Blind (5s)x1 Torment (8s)x1 Confusion (3s)Number of Targets: 5Range: 900

Confusing ImagesChannel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe. If it was activating any skills or attacking, it get more confused.Damage (6x): 1,320x6 Confusion (7s)x1 Confusion (7s) If it was activating any skills or attacking.Number of Targets: 5Range: 900

With these scepter changes, it would be a weapon specialized in punishing enemies, especially confuse. Punish more if the enemies are activating abilities, moving or attacking. It is the closest thing to the mesmer of Guild Wars 1. In addition, I updated the name of the scepter's abilities, because basically, it is a weapon where the mesmer plays with the enemy's mind, creating false images.

Traits

Master of MisdirectionShatter skills gain recharge reduction, yours illusions inflict confusion on nearby the foes, if it is destroyed by foe.x1 Confusion (3s)Number of Targets: 5Radius: 240Recharge Reduced: 15%

Here we have really a trait consistent with the name. If the enemy destroys an illusion of yours, he will be punished the wrong way.

And finally, the most important trait for scepter and "confusion".

Malicious SorceryWhile wielding a scepter. Increases attack speed. Confusion and Torment does more damage when castigate at foe. Reduces recharge on scepter skills.Increased Attack Speed: 20%Increased Confusion Damage: 10% If foe was activating any skills or attacking.Increased Torment Damage: 10% If foe was running.Recharge Reduced: 20%

Malicious witchcraft has to be a trait that punishes the enemy, it is the perfect trait for confusion or torment. Its name indicates it, it has to be a cruel and punishing sorcery.

I could continue more, but with all this is more than enough for you to get the idea, where I want to focus the mesmer of "confusion", if it is not possible, at least to throw some idea, so that it is added in the future to the official game. Hopefully we will receive more support, in the mechanics of "confusion", especially in the scepter.

I really like the look of wearing a scepter, however i never use this in pve.....the clone generation is good (axe is better, but axe is also better than sword, so whatever)....

BUT: It is a single target weapon....and since HoT (and PoF) the enemies are too much for just using a single target weapon, they come in groups and the auto-attack is just single target, i mean, ok you can shatter the clones, but that you can do with every weapon that generates clones, now with the phantasms every wespon is (in my opinion) good for shatter builds....

So i think they should rework the auto attack: i know they reworked it before so that the clones dont replace each other and instead when you have 3 out you add torment to your enemie...however i think they should change it back a little bit, i mean yes your auto attack is always single traget and it always generates a clone at the end of the chain, but i think they should rework scepter a little like:

<3 "auto attack generate clones, if you have 3 clones out the oldest clone shatters itself and adds torment to nearby enemies, also it makes dmg from shattering 1 clone to all nearby enemies"......when you want the dmg from shattering 3 clones you still need to press F1, but with this rework it would become an auto attack that can hit multiple enemies and add a little torment to them.....this is, i think a rework that scepter needs to make some mesmer using it.... <3

also, with the changes to confusion i think they should rework our 3.....but since scepter is a confusion weapon i think they should cancel the changes they made to confusion and bring the old effekt back....

Scepter needs some love.

This issue, I think is that the auto doesn't do enough damage. And, of course, the 3 does confusion...

I would double the duration of the second attack. From 4 sec to 8 sec. (as your 2 is reactive and doesn't add to dps.) then the third attack should summon a clone, and if you already have 3, it should summon a phantasm.

Phantasmal DukePhantasmal Duke attacks enemies with a scepter dealing torment and confusion. The Duke spawns, and casts a bouncing beam of confusion and torment. Pulses 4 times. Each pulse applies 1 stack for 6 sec of both torment and confuse. Each pulse the beam arcs out to another target. The graphic would look like the PC, as a phantasm, performing the scepter 3 skill.

So, t1 (target 1) gets hit, pulses once, and the beam arcs out to t2. T1 and t2 take the second pulse and it arcs out to t3. Then t1, 2, and 3 take the pulse, and it arcs to t4. Final pulse on all four.

Then I would change Malicious Sorcery. The attack speed it useless, as it doesn't stack with quickness.

Malicious Sorcery:

Confusion applies 1s 6 sec bleed. The last tick of 'confusing images' now applies 6sec of quickness along with its other effects.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:Scepter needs some love.

This issue, I think is that the auto doesn't do enough damage. And, of course, the 3 does confusion...

The AA definitely needs higher damage coefficients, if not anything else. From my experience it's one of the most unpleasant autoattacks in the game, the clone generation it provides is not enough to justify such low damage.About Confusing Images, well, I'm not sure how to help this skill. I mean, its power damage is good, but due to recent confusion changes in PvE it's just not worth using on condi builds. Removing confusion wouldn't make sense because, well, you know, it's called Confusing Images for a reason. The cheapest solution to it would be adding some different condition (e.g. torment) on top of confusion and damage, so that it would deal damage + confusion + torment on each tick. The better solution would be simply reverting confusion changes in pve.

I would double the duration of the second attack. From 4 sec to 8 sec. (as your 2 is reactive and doesn't add to dps.) then the third attack should summon a clone, and if you already have 3, it should summon a phantasm.

Phantasmal DukePhantasmal Duke attacks enemies with a scepter dealing torment and confusion. The Duke spawns, and casts a bouncing beam of confusion and torment. Pulses 4 times. Each pulse applies 1 stack for 6 sec of both torment and confuse. Each pulse the beam arcs out to another target. The graphic would look like the PC, as a phantasm, performing the scepter 3 skill.

I like this phantasm idea a lot and it would fix the problems with lack of AoE damage on scepter. However, it's quite unlikely to happen, because our one-handed weapons don't summon phantasms. But if it was to happen, I'd like to have the phantasm on some other skill (scepter 2 for example) rather than on the 3rd part of aa when 3 clones are up, because otherwise it would kind of go against the philosophy of encouraging shattering.Illusionary Counter (scepter 2) is imo the worst skill scpeter has. Boring, ugly, clunky in PvE. I wholeheartedly hate this skill and hope it'll get reworked sooner or later.

Then I would change Malicious Sorcery. The attack speed it useless, as it doesn't stack with quickness.

Malicious Sorcery:

Confusion applies 1s 6 sec bleed. The last tick of 'confusing images' now applies 6sec of quickness along with its other effects.

This looks okay, it could somewhat fix the issue with Confusing Images as well. However, they would need to increase AA's attack speed it they took it away from the trait. Have you tried using scepter AA without the trait or perma quickness? A horrendous experience, lol.

It is clear that the scepter is obsolete, little damage, very slow (You are forced to use the Trait Malicious Sorcery), the only thing I ask and want, is that the day go to make a rework, that the weapon continues to maintain its concept , a weapon focused to punish the enemy, I do not want it to become a weapon of direct damage. But yes, the scepter of mesmer need a big rework.

except buff i would like they redesign scepter tbh , the whole weapon feels so unfun to play around .

also i think the clone spam on third AA chain is what holds it back . but tbh i think anet could remove that from AA chain , but add double clone spam on second skill block . also change skill 3 function . make it like axe 3 , force all clones to do beam attack also add small aoe raduis around the target .

I had never liked scepter as i don't like gs . I used classic gs shatter build for roaming but a friend of mine gave me a build to try with scepter.It is ( i think) quite common .The idea is to couple scepter traited with pistol traited ( sword offhand for me is a must on mirage in wvw for moving around ) .I thought that build was really bad but at the end i found it really effective in small scale roaming . The idea is to coordinate pistol 5, pistol 4 and scepter 3 ... it makes a good damage and it has good survivability with scepter 2 . I played for a while with axe pistol, sword torch but i missed the range factor . My first love is staff but i find it a little clunky in wvw sometime and i have never loved gs so i tried scepter . GS has a much better burst but when my opponent avoid it , usually i feel nuked ....

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAsf7anknBFphVoBmpBMMjlXDzv/NATglVgeT0ANA0cOCA-jFSGQBFU5Xb2fwAvAgEcQAAwRAgM6fkoSw6p+DA-w

@"Angel de Lyssa.4716" said:To that you add the useless scepter with the nerf "confusion", compared to the skills of the sword, the sword has more mobility, you can be invulnerable, you control the enemy better ... the scepter inflicts "confusion" "torment" but for nothing ... the enemy will clean it and it escapes.

I agree but sword is not range. As range weapon we have only gs, staff and scepter . I find staff great for spvp even now after confusion changes ( i use it with wizard amulet ) . GS ... probably i have not a good feeling with it but i find it a weak weapon. Burst can be good with gs but if your opponent avoid it gs has no defensive skill. With staff you can use staff 2 , 4 and 5 defensevily ... with gs there is nothing real defensive ...

Archived