Do you want Epidemic to be removed from the game?

Dragoth.7153

Epidemic is always mentioned in discussion where players tell us why necro is strong. If this is a reason why nec is really a garbage-tier joke class then I vote to remove it from the game. I don't want to be one-skill class used to clean trash. Removing it, will require us to get other tools to deal with game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one of the few abilities left in the game that feel and do something unique. Epidemic has been a part of core necromancer's identity since launch, together with not-so-niche (or skillful) anymore boon corruption. As far as I know, it's not even that good at sustained cleave as some of the stuff other classes can do with their AoE. It's a huge burst, but it wears off relatively quickly.

If bouncing Epidemic becomes a huge issue in pve encounters (if the game ever gets relevant council fights for example), make Epidemic apply a debuff, in raid instances only, that prevents targets from being struck by Epidemic for a few seconds. In organized groups that wouldn't be an issue even with two or more necromancers, since they could space their Epidemics more evenly, preventing epibounce double-dipping or some could bring other utility.

I have no solution for epidemic, but this skill is one of the thing that hinder the growth of the necromancer. It's just a gimmicky skill which is strong and forcibly keep afloat the necromancer in PvE, while at the same time forcing him to go condition damage. No necromancer build without epidemic have been viable in PvE simply because this skill impersonate the very reason a group would take a necromancer if he take him.

The potential of this skill is so strong that anet can't help balancing around the fact that the player will use it. To put it bluntly, this skill is the very reason that "power reaper" is a pipe dream. A power reaper have no tool to match a spec which use epidemic and since epidemic is the only thing that can justify a necromancer in PvE.

In GW1, epidemic was a mesmer tool, which make the fact that the necromancer now wield it kinda awkward.

Maybe, the skill could be replaced by another called Virulence that increase the condition duration of the conditions on the foe by a few seconds and deal power based damage based on how many different conditions were affected.

I would love if we could get an actual split between pve and WVW and changes in wvw how epi works so epi can be un nerfed for pve.It was op for pvp and wvw but not for pve, or you could limit how many condis it can carry and range it can go or something like that, that seems reasonable to me.

The thing with epidemic is that it's very situational, possibly the most situational in the entire game. It's ether totally useless or just melts everything in seconds. The most obvious solution would be to give it the "signet of inspiration treatment" and standardize the condition application. This would not fix eventing though while it could be considered a buff in most situations especially in the open world it would also prevent it from scaling with the encounter. So intend of locking the Condis to a specific value it they could simply lower the cap from 25 stacks to X but for X sec. base and have it be effected be expertise and condition duration. This would make it less of an insta kill button and preserve its scaling with big bosses.

PS: And while they are at it the can reduce the casting time a little bit to make it feel less clunky.

It's the only cool thing Necro has left and doesn't save Necro from being bad in PvE either.

The idea of trying to get Epi removed to make Necro so crappy the Devs have to fix the class is non sense. You clearly don't know the balance team well.

"Epidemic has been removed from the game, to compensate for this change, we buffed Axe 1 by 10% to bring Necromancer more in line with other professions. Also Deathshroud now degenerates twice as fast and Scourge F# Cooldowns where doubled".

They create the Awaken the Pain trait purposed to boost a power build and weaken the condi build. Even though its definitely not enough to bring Necro to a viable Dps but i believe it is a good direction to rework the traitlines using this concept to tone down epidermic in power build. There is no need for a complete removal of Epi and risk devs creating a useless skill and destroy necro even more.

Nah, just make sure every future raid boss is either a duo or trio of bosses or has plenty of CC-immune healthsponge adds.

I expect Epidemic to get the Signet of Inspiration treatment eventually though. And then Anet will try to compensate for it but it will not be enough and I will finally ascend to my rightful place as Trash Incarnate, the Lord of Feces.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Nimon.7840 said:Yes. Its the only reason, for necro being so weak dps wise (ok snd shroud)

So how does it justify power being pretty weak?

PowerReaper is weak, because of shroud.But you will never ever play epi on power reaper.

And condi necro is weak because of epi

The original question has nothing to do with shroud though (though you are partially right in that respect).

@Aktium.9506 said:Nah, just make sure every future raid boss is either a duo or trio of bosses or has plenty of CC-immune healthsponge adds.

I expect Epidemic to get the Signet of Inspiration treatment eventually though. And then Anet will try to compensate for it but it will not be enough and I will finally ascend to my rightful place as Trash Incarnate, the Lord of Feces.

Thing is, if they remove epidemic they will have to compensate it. Now everyone can tell you that better dps + epi will be always too op.And they can't afford nerfing necro more in case they remove it.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Nimon.7840 said:Yes. Its the only reason, for necro being so weak dps wise (ok snd shroud)

So how does it justify power being pretty weak?

PowerReaper is weak, because of shroud.But you will never ever play epi on power reaper.

And condi necro is weak because of epi

I'm pretty sure in arena net's mind epidemic is a valuable tool for power spec because it spread soft conditions and thus it's important to keep the power necromancer's dps to a manageable level. In short since you are able to spread movement impairement condition, in order to allow players to avoid being insta kill, the power necromancer's dps need to be low.

if it would mean bringing condi necro on par with other classes (around 35k DPS) then yes, delete epidemic.but that doesn't solve the problem of terrible power necro. power necro doesnt use epidemic and it's still trash so clearly epidemic is not the reason why necro is terrible at everything - the reason is lack of high-quality balance. one that is sensible and just. i dont know why other classes like warrior and mesmer get amazing balance that allows them to play support roles, dps roles and whatnot (+ are rewarded with great results if you are tryharding) and necro never gets that. even if you tryhard your result is literally what a mediocre weaver would pull off. it's demeaning to me as a player and i wont shut up about it.

Archived