Massive Lag spikes making unplayable

Fenom.9457

I've played for about 2 hours today and through all of it, I have lagged intensely and disconnected twice. I did some timing and math and about 80% of that time I was lagging behind, stuff like people running straight ahead in all directions before jumping back to their true locations, or laggingfor so long that I went from being completely safe to swarmed and dead. Not sure whats going on but this is unplayable, and if it keeps up I wont be around much longer

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Did you try runnning a trace of your connection or contacting your internet service?

(If it was on ANet’s side there would be lots of complaints right now. Not just yours)

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Did you try runnning a trace of your connection or contacting your internet service?

(If it was on ANet’s side there would be lots of complaints right now. Not just yours)

I did not, but I everything else on my computer is perfectly fine, and multiple other devices are functioning with no problems

@Fenom.9457 said:

I did not, but I everything else on my computer is perfectly fine, and multiple other devices are functioning with no problems

Other devices aren’t necessarily taking the route from you to ANet. Why don’t you do a ping plotter to look for packet drops in between you and ANet.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Other devices aren’t necessarily taking the route from you to ANet. Why don’t you do a ping plotter to look for packet drops in between you and ANet.

If the problem continues tomorrow I probably will, what I meant with all that was my internet connection is fjne

Ever since the last patch yesterday, the game is almost completely unplayable. There has been 2 threads with many screaming to please fix it. I have disconnected 9 times in a 30 min period. There is nothing wrong with my internet, my antivirus. These lag spikes and high pig has only been after this patch. Please Anet for the love of everyone's sanity, Please fix this soon. :s

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:You probably already know this stuff but I’ll post it for those who would like to read up on lag and some ways to fix it.

Analyzing network issues which can cause lag and ping spikes

hi, Ive tried that program pingplotter. I was running that program while playing and then i set up an alarm to notify me when there are some lag spikes or packet loss > 5% since the last 10 minutes. And then when I noticed when the latency spiked to1000-2000ms, the alarm sound from pingplotter were going off. The packet loss occured at the very last hop, it's a server in Virginia.

@Naima Fathom.7582 said:Ever since the last patch yesterday, the game is almost completely unplayable. There has been 2 threads with many screaming to please fix it. I have disconnected 9 times in a 30 min period. There is nothing wrong with my internet, my antivirus. These lag spikes and high pig has only been after this patch. Please Anet for the love of everyone's sanity, Please fix this soon. :s

Did you try running PingPlotter to check for problems your Internet provider can fix?

With my pingplotter I found out that I am being routed from the Netherlands to Seattle, to New York, back to Seattle and then to Frankfurt Germany. Why the hell they do that??? https://ibb.co/fh7Po7

My ISP has checked the same thing and confirmed they route from Holland to USA back to Germany. My ISP guesses Anet want to run every connection through their backbone.

@"ImLegion.4018" said:With my pingplotter I found out that I am being routed from the Netherlands to Seattle, to New York, back to Seattle and then to Frankfurt Germany. Why the hell they do that??? https://ibb.co/fh7Po7

In short, it's not. The real world location of IPs are only a guess. When the location is unknown, they tend to use the location of the owner, which in this case is Amazon; their HQ being in Seattle.

Hop 8 is the start of Amazon's network, so all routing decisions fall under their control. If there were a problem, you'd be complaining to them.

Just looking at your ping, it's simply too low to actually be going to the US and back, as that would cause a noticeable increase of around 100ms. Amazon does list 72.21.222.57 (hop 11) as being located in the US however, and attempting to trace that IP does lead to the datacenter in Virginia, but that is obviously not the case for you in that moment. As for your latency, the spike potentially begins from your own router.

• 9 months later...

Archived