Yellow Catmander in Desert Borderland: How?

Dreamy Lu.3865

Hello

I have tried so many times, again and again... No way. I cannot reach the lower ledge behind the cascade from where we can reach the cavern entry. There are many videos in wich we see how players, using different methods (jumping directly from corner, going to middle ledge and falling down, ...), achieve to land properly on the ledge. I have tried all of them with same result: I pass close by but miss it.I have tried with different toons in case the difference of size and way to move could make a difference: No. I have tried to do it slow motion (L) or fast (with or without speed boost), without any positive impact. I also tried to go with a druid and use the skill Ancestral Grace, but it does not work because where ever we stand, the ledge cannot be targeted (red).

What I find funny is that Dulfy means that the yellow catmander would be slightly easier than the blue one: For me it is clearly the opposite. I had no big troubles to reach the blue catmander location (got it after a few tries only). :)

If anyone has made it and could maybe provide hints or some instructions that could help me?

Side note: I am on a daily basis in WvW, but up to now, have never been lucky enough to be at a time with a mesmer offering port to the location... :/

I got in once but have trouble replicating. :/

Having someone put down a squad marker on the ledge might help as it shows you the outline of the thing you need to land on. I suspect you need to basically fall and push forward but only after you have started falling so you don't end up walking into the other side of the ledge you are standing on. Blue cat doesn't have that upper ledge to get in your way.

@Khisanth.2948 said:I got in once but have trouble replicating. :/

Having someone put down a squad marker on the ledge might help as it shows you the outline of the thing you need to land on. I suspect you need to basically fall and push forward but only after you have started falling so you don't end up walking into the other side of the ledge you are standing on. Blue cat doesn't have that upper ledge to get in your way.

There are actually 2-3 ways that seem to work and none are easily explained or replicated. Dulfy's guide shows one of them. I accidentally found another. Essentially, one way is falling and pushing forward (as Khisanth says). Another is jumping from the side (left or right) and pushing forward.

It's been a while, but I think it's also possible to get on a ledge slightly below the opening to the cave and jump up. Although, that sounds better than it is, because it's one of those really tricky up|twist|turn|over|in jumps that are difficult even when you can see where you want to go.

I think the most useful advice is to go with 2-3 mesmers. Equip portal plus mimic so that no one has to race back up the hill. (Remember: the technique is set the return portal, head to the pick up spot, mimic, then entry portal.) Be patient and eventually one of you will get in ... and then be able to port the others.

In some ways, I found the Blue Catmander more difficult, because the return run is farther and there didn't seem to be any second chances (you jump blind and either land in the 'hole' or fall), whereas there were times when I could save a jump in the desert BL and try again.

@Deimos.4263 said:Yeah it's harder than it needed to be. Not to say that things can't be hard in this game, but there didn't seem to be a good reason to make that so frustrating. It's a tiny ledge.

A tiny ledge is not an issue. I use a tiny ledge on my sunspear cache run almost daily and that is while on a mount which are clumisier than unmounted. It's a tiny ledge that is under a bigger ledge that is the main cause of the problem. Being obstructed by some bushes might also contribute.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Deimos.4263 said:Yeah it's harder than it needed to be. Not to say that things can't be hard in this game, but there didn't seem to be a good reason to make that so frustrating. It's a tiny ledge.

I'm just thankful that it's just a single tricky jump. It's not an entire JP full of tricky jumps.

Depends on your definition of tricky jumps. For example many of Chalice of Tears' tricky jumps are probably better described as "unclear surface to land on".

Archived