Weaver's barrier

Jski.6180

Please remove barrier from the weaver class and re-balance it with more active def tools or boon aimed tools to keep it alive in a melee setting.

As things stand the barrier on weaver is far lower and far less effective then other classes who are very able to use them as support for there team or is able to be trigger as inhuman reaction times or passive def.

The barrier amounts on weaver are so low and due to the line not having any type of real def boon in it self often is nothing more then auto attk stopping if that much. Weaver often dose not even have enofe barrier on it to deal with real burst dmg (what seems to be the main use of barrier) and must use other effects such as evasion or all in def builds from other lines on ele cutting its effectiveness in melee combat (130 of sword for weaver) making it mostly pointless.

The barrier on weaver comes out way to slow to be a viable def tool in both its duel skills and it dodge roll effect. You simply don't get the full effect out of barriers "time frame" when you have to factor in added cast times of the skills or dodge roll and the after effect of having barrier trigger (mostly duel skills seem to take 2 sec or so after the skill is cast for it to apply.)

Barrier needs to be on tempest and protection and other anty cc (hard and soft) needs to be on weaver is what it comes down to. I think freeing the weaver class from barrier and the "unkillable" fear of anet seems to be doing with there balancing of the class would let weaver become a real viable melee line. It may even keep tempest up to date with the other support classes who do have barrier or other hard dmg delays.

Personally I think that barrier was designed for scourge only to sustain him after losing extra healthpool and kinda added extra for ele's. On everything else scaling is so bad for some reason... it supposed to scale with healing power/vitality? Even on magi ele's barriers look like a joke.

When first they announced that we will have barrier something in PoF I though it would gw 2 version of BDO's superarmor. In BDO superarmor work's the same but it scales with our equivalent of toughness+armor and it's far more effective. It does it's job at keeping squishier classes alive during longer animations. In gw 2 ...it ,,works" with vitality and healing power...I don't have idea what they where thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Mr Godlike.6098" said:Personally I think that barrier was designed for scourge only to sustain him after losing extra healthpool and kinda added extra for ele's. On everything else scaling is so bad for some reason... it supposed to scale with healing power/vitality? Even on magi ele's barriers look like a joke.

When first they announced that we will have barrier something in PoF I though it would gw 2 version of BDO's superarmor. In BDO superarmor work's the same but it scales with our equivalent of toughness+armor and it's far more effective. It does it's job at keeping squishier classes alive during longer animations. In gw 2 ...it ,,works" with vitality and healing power...I don't have idea what they where thinking.

revamping an old post LUL

Superarmor in BDO reduce the damage you take and u can't be cc'd while the skill animation ... It's kinda a protection and stability mix (which already exists in gw2 ) so no point ... they just need to review all ele's scaling in term of vitaliy (+)- healing power(-) - power (more scaling / less based) - ferocity(+) - condition dmg (no change?)

EDIT : I faced a fresh air ele today that got 30% hp barrier frequently (once every minute) with no necro around ... I honestly don't know how he managed to get that much barrier by himself.

Why not just improve barrier that we have? It already requires being active. It just needs better numbers. I mean, 1500 barrier with full healing power and vitality is pathetic when a non crit from an Holo can do more than that. I would like to see Invigorating Strikes also provide more utility to barrier. My favourite idea is to give the ele a portion of the absorbed barrier in health.

@Karl McLain.5604 , while you're tweaking numbers, bump up the barrier output from Elemental Refreshment and Invigorating Strikes. Also, Stone Resonance will need much more than what is currently planned. And whatever numbers you are thinking for ER and IS, make it higher. This profession has the lowest armor and health. It needs powerful defences. Barrier was meant to be Weaver's defence outside of the constant evades (we can't attack while evading, and barrier allows us to do some real pressure without worrying as much about being 100-0ed by a mesmer), but it's not nearly powerful enough to be called an elementalist defence. I beg of you to really make barrier a legitimate form of defence for Weavers. Right now, it's not that, and it still won't be that after the patch at this rate.

I actually think adding more barrier would be a mistake. Bruiser sw/d ele already has so many dodges + healing + barrier, and is tanky enough, that its basically unable to be killed 1v1. With upcoming reductions to other classes (esp. druid), I think you will actually see to many of them soon. Barrier works great in a bruiser spec, its basically just extra healing, b/c you take constant damage anyway.

@Bakeneko.5826 said:

@MyPuppy.8970 said:Isn't weaver barrier just a cosmetic thing? I just use it to be all shiny and pretty.

If you get enough vitality, barrier becomes fat. It's matter of build

I thought barrier amount scaled off healing power of the applier and capped at 50% of the recipients vitality? How does it get fat on vitality alone?

Since Weaver is both in this case you'd need the healing power to keep up with the health pool?

I am still of the mind that its not about the amount of barrier weaver gets but its bad timing of application and the lack of added effects tide to its barrier.

Scraper is how selfish barrier should work on weaver cd effects that trigger on taking dmg that goes in effect before the dmg it self is applied. Taking less dmg (vs condis) when barrier is up. Apply barrier per person hit with an effect so the more ppl you hit with an attk the stronger the barrier vs just hitting one person making it weaker.

I suggest making diamond skin work like adapted armor but with an hp % where it stops working. Letting weaver get protection and reg when it gets barrier as well as getting crit +% (weakness crit seems super underwhelming even if you made it a +50% add it would still be worthless). Make duel skills give barrier base off of number of targets hit with the effect and make the barrier applied this way trigger before retaliation effects if that is something that can be done.

• 4 weeks later...

@Jski.6180 said:I am still of the mind that its not about the amount of barrier weaver gets but its bad timing of application and the lack of added effects tide to its barrier.

Its timing is terrible, but even the amount of it is too low in relation to how low Ele defenses are. Any barrier they put on themselves is cut through like a knife through butter.

During previous season I decided for whatever reason to check scourge how his barrier actually works...obviously barrier numbers are better on sage build but there is one more important difference...barrier application and stacking feels like just faster then weaver...

With necro you just take desert empowerment (manifest shade give you now barrier)+scourge healing skill+shroud skill 2 can be double casted...and with necro better scaling it just better...oh and still you are meta teamfighter....

And weaver...we need just go overboard taking 2 traits, 1 utility and weaver rune and run amulet's with no damage like avatar or mender...and then trying to not break fingers on keyboard to stack barrier....

Amazing design....

Archived