Tyria is Not the World

Aridon.8362

I was discussing with a friend the longevity left in the game considering that we have uncovered significant areas within Tyria. However, the map of the world Gw2 is in, is tremendously much bigger than Tyria. Tyria on its own is a continent, Elona, where we are now on the story, is a continent, Cantha is a continent, but when you look at the entirety of the rest of the world, you'll soon discover that there is a whole other section of land to the right hand side past the blood legion homelands.

What I mean to say by saying this is, there's a name to this planet. And the outreach of the world were playing in can be expanded to last a real long time. This means about 5 years from now we will have boatload of skins, armor styles, weapon styles, and other goods. I think with this in mind, arenanet should revamp the way they handle the sale of outfits and styles since by that point most of the skins we would want will pretty much be an rng wait in the gem store. Sure there are some styles that you can get just by raiding, but the frequency in which styles get released in the gem store feels awfully handled for the long run.

@"Aridon.8362" said:I was discussing with a friend the longevity left in the game considering that we have uncovered significant areas within Tyria. However, the map of the world Gw2 is in, is tremendously much bigger than Tyria. Tyria on its own is a continent, Elona, where we are now on the story, is a continent, Cantha is a continent, but when you look at the entirety of the rest of the world, you'll soon discover that there is a whole other section of land to the right hand side past the blood legion homelands.

What I mean to say by saying this is, there's a name to this planet. And the outreach of the world were playing in can be expanded to last a real long time. This means about 5 years from now we will have boatload of skins, armor styles, weapon styles, and other goods. I think with this in mind, arenanet should revamp the way they handle the sale of outfits and styles since by that point most of the skins we would want will pretty much be an rng wait in the gem store. Sure there are some styles that you can get just by raiding, but the frequency in which styles get released in the gem store feels awfully handled for the long run.

From the Wiki Article: "Tyria, sometimes called Central Tyria, is a continent in the world of the same name. "

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyria_(world)

Tyria is, in fact, the name of the world. That's why most people refer to the continent as Central Tyria...

@Aridon.8362 said:I was discussing with a friend the longevity left in the game considering that we have uncovered significant areas within Tyria. However, the map of the world Gw2 is in, is tremendously much bigger than Tyria. Tyria on its own is a continent, Elona, where we are now on the story, is a continent, Cantha is a continent, but when you look at the entirety of the rest of the world, you'll soon discover that there is a whole other section of land to the right hand side past the blood legion homelands.

I don't see the connection between worrying about the name of the continent/world and the availability of skins. Even if ANet somehow exhausted the entire continent of Tyria with zones, there are several ways they could introduce new playable areas. And, as others have pointed out, there's plenty of map available anyhow.

But even if that wasn't true, there are never going to be enough skins in the game. We'll always want more.

Thank you for clearing the Tyria thing, to those who did.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I don't see the connection between worrying about the name of the continent/world and the availability of skins. Even if ANet somehow exhausted the entire continent of Tyria with zones, there are several ways they could introduce new playable areas. And, as others have pointed out, there's plenty of map available anyhow.

But even if that wasn't true, there are never going to be enough skins in the game. We'll always want more.

That's not what I'm trying to point out, what I'm trying to say is that there's not enough skins being recycled in the gem store. For example say we are at the point where the revelation of Cantha has been introduced, by that point we would have a selection of over 100 different gem based outfits to choose from, let alone things such as the foefire wraps, Braham's Mace and Shield, Belinda's Greatsword, and all those extra gem skins won't be in circulation enough and we will be missing out on skins like the blood prince outfit for years on end! This is terrible, I don't even understand why Anet removes the availability of these outfits for such extended periods of time, and I think a lot of players can agree in that aspect.

@"Aridon.8362" said:That's not what I'm trying to point out, what I'm trying to say is that there's not enough skins being recycled in the gem store.Then why not make that the title of your thread. How does that have anything to do with the definition of "Tyria"?

For example say we are at the point where the revelation of Cantha has been introduced, by that point we would have a selection of over 100 different outfits to choose from, let alone things such as the foefire wraps, Braham's Mace and Shield, Belinda's Greatsword, and all those extra gem skins won't be in circulation enough and we will be missing out on skins like the blood prince outfit for years on end!They have reintroduced everything in the gem shop eventually. Braham's Mace & Shield, Belinda's GS, and the Bloody Prince's Outfit (that one is available near Halloween every year).

I don't even understand why Anet removes the availability of these outfits for such extended periods of time, and I think a lot of players can agree in that aspect.They do it for a couple of reasons:

• Enough people are more likely to buy when there's a time limit. They worry that they won't have the opportunity later.
  • Familiarity breeds contempt. That is, if something is around all the time, people don't think of it as important or special and they are less likely to spend.

See also

Also from a lore standpoint, there's probably not much beyond Centyria, Elona, and Cantha. Most of the old races that existed in Tyria when the Human gods arrived have gone extinct, and the race that occupied the most of Tyria (Humans) are endangered, so I doubt there is much sentient life outside of Central Tyria and the fact that the dragons are situated there reinforces that, as they seek out the highest concentrations of magic - and life to corrupt.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I wonder to what extend the world is also called Tyria.At the time we had Tyria, world and continent.I’m curious if anet intended for this, or if it “just happened”.I’m all in favour of seeing a globe of ‘Tyria’ just to see how much larger the world is than we can see.

Order of Whispers sanctuary has a globe of the planet in it.

You are both right. But it is also complicated. The name Tyria (just like the word earth in old Germanic), comes from the the Tyrian word for soil. This means it literally means the land we walk on. So it is used for both in the Tyrian language. In the translation to English, this name is kept. So it means both and is used for the same thing. However., and this is where it gets complicated. The Tyrian language is spoken in Tyria. We do not know what name is given 5o the planet Tyria in e.g. the Canthan language, but it may very well be Cantha.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:You are both right. But it is also complicated. The name Tyria (just like the word earth in old Germanic), comes from the the Tyrian word for soil. This means it literally means the land we walk on. So it is used for both in the Tyrian language. In the translation to English, this name is kept. So it means both and is used for the same thing. However., and this is where it gets complicated. The Tyrian language is spoken in Tyria. We do not know what name is given 5o the planet Tyria in e.g. the Canthan language, but it may very well be Cantha.The difference being that Tyrian is the local language (although of unclear origin), while Canthan is one of the human languages, and likely originates from the place humans came to this world. Still, your point stands - even native races from beyond continent of Tyria might not know Tyrian language (depending on its origin, of course). It should however have been known in Cantha originally, as that continent had a thriving dwarven population once that was connected to the Dwarven nations of Shiverpeaks.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:You are both right. But it is also complicated. The name Tyria (just like the word earth in old Germanic), comes from the the Tyrian word for soil. This means it literally means the land we walk on. So it is used for both in the Tyrian language. In the translation to English, this name is kept. So it means both and is used for the same thing. However., and this is where it gets complicated. The Tyrian language is spoken in Tyria. We do not know what name is given 5o the planet Tyria in e.g. the Canthan language, but it may very well be Cantha.The difference being that Tyrian is the local language (although of unclear origin), while Canthan is one of the human languages, and likely originates from the place humans came to this world. Still, your point stands - even native races from beyond continent of Tyria might not know Tyrian language (depending on its origin, of course). It should however have been known in Cantha originally, as that continent had a thriving dwarven population once that was connected to the Dwarven nations of Shiverpeaks.

I think the whole 'humans came from the mists' part is something that is fudgy when it comes to GW2. During GW1 it had a function in the lore of the game to make a connection between the playable race and the player. This fucntion doesn't make sense in GW2 as there are 5 playable races. One we know for certain did not came from the mists. It is also part of the human canon, making it a human believe that they can from the mists. If they really did, I doubt it when it concerns GW2. I do think it is dangerous to take GW1 lore as a fact for GW2 lore as the perspective is much broader in GW2 due to the 5 races.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

I think the whole 'humans came from the mists' part is something that is fudgy when it comes to GW2. During GW1 it had a function in the lore of the game to make a connection between the playable race and the player. This fucntion doesn't make sense in GW2 as there are 5 playable races. One we know for certain did not came from the mists. It is also part of the human canon, making it a human believe that they can from the mists. If they really did, I doubt it when it concerns GW2. I do think it is dangerous to take GW1 lore as a fact for GW2 lore as the perspective is much broader in GW2 due to the 5 races.

Well, yes, a lot of lore got broken due to changes Anet made for GW2, with many differences that cannot be explained away by claiming the earlier version was what humans believed to be true, and the new one is seeing the bigger picture.

I'm not talking about GW1 lore however, but the gw2 one. The main difference is that in gw1, humans were brought to Tyria by the Six Gods, who were already residing here, but according to GW2 they came alongside the gods. Still, in both cases, humans are not native to Tyria and came here from somewhere else (through the Mists, but not necessarily from the Mists). At the very least, they are not native to neither Central Tyria, Elona nor Cantha.

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:Boy, a simple Google search would of prevented this post. Tyria is the world, Central Tyria is the continent. there are no doubt other ones, but we will probably never see it

Actually no. Tyria is both the world and the continent. Central Tyria is a region. But the continent also consist of the maguuma, the shiverpeaks (but south, north and far), ascalon and a lot more other regions. Elona is considered a different continent. The exact border is simular to the one between europe and asia. During the events in GW1, the crystal desert was considered part of Tyria (continent) while now it is more counted to be part of elona.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:Boy, a simple Google search would of prevented this post. Tyria is the world, Central Tyria is the continent. there are no doubt other ones, but we will probably never see it

Actually no. Tyria is both the world and the continent. Central Tyria is a region. But the continent also consist of the maguuma, the shiverpeaks (but south, north and far), ascalon and a lot more other regions. Elona is considered a different continent. The exact border is simular to the one between europe and asia. During the events in GW1, the crystal desert was considered part of Tyria (continent) while now it is more counted to be part of elona.

Maybe I should rephrase, I was meaning central Tyria as core maps, but also continents of Elona and Cantha.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Aridon.8362" said:I was discussing with a friend the longevity left in the game considering that we have uncovered significant areas within Tyria. However, the map of the world Gw2 is in, is tremendously much bigger than Tyria. Tyria on its own is a continent, Elona, where we are now on the story, is a continent, Cantha is a continent, but when you look at the entirety of the rest of the world, you'll soon discover that there is a whole other section of land to the right hand side past the blood legion homelands.

I don't see the connection between worrying about the name of the continent/world and the availability of skins. Even if ANet somehow exhausted the entire continent of Tyria with zones, there are several ways they could introduce new playable areas. And, as others have pointed out, there's plenty of map available anyhow.

We've already moved out of the continent of Tyria, the whole PoF content is outside the continent of Tyria, it's on the Elonian Continent, but still within the world of Tyria.

Back on topic:About the GemStore, which is actually unrelated to the geography, but a question of bloat. I do agree with you, and i've thought about the same issue (which is already somewhat prevalent).

To me the solution would be to establish 2 tiers of Gemstore goods:

• Current goods which are goods still able to have a good number of sales because they are still pretty scarce within the community (so pretty much stuff that has been on sale only once or twice, and released in the last year or 2).
  • Older goods this would be stuff that is unlikely to see many more sales, because the market is already pretty saturated, either because it sold a lot, or because it's been on repeat sales for a long time (like the original balthazar outfit, the earmuffs, etc.)

The Current goods should be kept in the gemstore and sold like they are now, on flash sales, and limited availability sales. Why? because the limited availability is also a marketing strategy, so it doesn't make sense to get rid of it entirely.

The Old goods would be removed from the gemstore permanently, and instead bought with gems (at a 10-30% discount) directly from the wardrobe via right click, with a proper amount of prompts and warnings so that people won't "buy by mistake".

Archived