How to Discover Recipies

Kintarian.7629

Yeah I'm lame and need to get gud, I know.

I seriously don't understand how to discover recipes. I put in a couple of things and it says there is an available recipe. Great, what recipe? I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get new recipes so I can continue levelling crafting. I just don't get it.

The items you put in must have a crafting requirement lower then the crafting level you are on. This can be seen in the tooltip of each ingredient. If you put something in above your level, it will say there is 1 recipe available, but the button to actually craft it and discover the recipe will remain gray.What helps is looking up an ingredient on the wiki, for example apples. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/AppleThe wiki will show all recipes it is used in.

When you add things inthe Discovery panel, you get a prompt about how many unknown recepies it matches so far (it usualy starts pretty high when you add basic things like ingots).Keep adding available things until that prompt changes to "This looks like something!" - that's when you've hit a recepie. Click "Craft" or whatever it says, and voila - you've discovered the recepie.

Note that a lot of recepies use components you get the recepies for automatically - like insignias/inscriptions.

Basic recepie for a sword:Sword HiltSword BladeInscription

• made from a Dowel and some Fine materials

All have to match the tier, so for t1 it's Bronze and Green Wood.

@Kintarian.7629 said:Yeah I'm lame and need to get gud, I know.

I seriously don't understand how to discover recipes. I put in a couple of things and it says there is an available recipe. Great, what recipe? I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get new recipes so I can continue levelling crafting. I just don't get it.

The crafting vendor has a tab with a whole list of purchasable recipes. You can use those to level your crafting instead.

If a recipe is already discovered, it will be in your main list so that's why you get that message. The discovery tab is pretty much only for a few hidden ones

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Kintarian.7629 said:Yeah I'm lame and need to get gud, I know.

The crafting vendor has a tab with a whole list of purchasable recipes. You can use those to level your crafting instead.

If a recipe is already discovered, it will be in your main list so that's why you get that message. The discovery tab is pretty much only for a few hidden ones

I would strongly advice against this! Discovery is for the bulk of recepies below max level, while purchased sheets are only for Rare crafting - not worth it while leveling!Discovery also grants a rather significant amount of bonus crafting experience, making you progress much faster.

I would use the wiki for the cooking class as there are so many ingredients that the class has and with on food item being used in another food. The other classes like everyone else have stated that you have the insignia and parts for the weapon or armor you want to make. Armor, tailor, and leather usually go with outer coat (leather, iron chain mail something), inner coat/padding (almost all of them use same crafting tier mats), insignias. Weapon crafts usually have three components; ie: long bow has long stave/stick, bow string, and insignia.I agree with tanner and prob only spend on any recipe would be the exotic if I am not able to get it through discovery or ascended stuff

Just a head up, I appreciate all advices, but the OP is describing a situation where he/she is in discovery mode, add items to the pane, it says there is a recipe available, but no further buttons. This is cause one of the ingredients are below his/her crafting level.In this part of the forum it is awesome when people help, but please read carefully and make sure you answer the question.

@"Kintarian.7629"

• look up the recipe you want to discover (on wiki), make sure your crafting skill is high enough for that recipe
  • make sure you have ingredients to craft at least one of that
  • in your discover window, drag the neccessary ingredients from left window into the 4 slots on right (you might not need to fill all 4 slots)
  • click craft, you will get a "discovered" window pop up
  • dont click craft again, just close that pop up... unless you mean to craft the same item again right now.

Recipe should now be in your craftable recipes list and the crafted item in your bag. You can guess what the ingredients are too instead of looking it up if you want to play it that way. One of the above posts mentions how to guess.

There are two indispensable tools that you (the OP) might look at.The GW2 wiki crafting ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Recipe ) and a fansite ( http://gw2crafts.net/ )You might use the wiki to identify items that don't appear on your "known" recipes tab, then try to Discover those (assuming your skill is high enough).

GW2crafts.net provides a step-by-step guide to train up each craft discipline following the least expensive route based on current BLTP resource prices. It includes discovering items too.

Good luck and enjoy your Guild Wars 2 experience.

Archived