Frame Limiter values

Rash.6514

Hey everyone,

I've noticed the game will only allow us to set 30 or 60fps as limits. However, today's modern computers can do more than that. I'm looking to limit the framerate so that my video card doesn't disable G-Sync (when the fps goes above the monitor's max refresh rate). Is it possible to set this fps limit to something like 120 or 144Hz, common maximum monitor refresh rates these days? I was thinking, since we can't do it in the UI, can we do it by editing the configuration file manually? Would this work?

Sorry, I meant to say common gamer monitors. Not just any monitor and not "popular" (which is different than common).

It's been a long time since I last came here and I can see the community is just the same. They rather put me down based on a detail of something I said instead of helping. Good use of your time.

It was a simple question. In the forums we have enough people crying because GW has no real 4K support and that this would be standard today.. And I'm sitting here, looking at the Steam Hardware Survey which shows, that barely 1% of all Steam users have 4K.

I don't have the slightest clue, how much programming time really would stand behind changing this option, but if it's too "much", as a game developer I also would rather fix bugs first then adding something for <5% of my users.

Edit: Just one of many websites about this topic: Refresh rate and frames per second are two (mostly) unrelated things. https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

• Confused 2

@Nokomis.5076 said:Another simple question: What hardware do you have to even achieve 100+ FPS in GW2? I have a GeForce 980 GTX and seldomly reach over 60FPS anyway. To admit, I have 2560x1440 resolution and play usually in high quality settings

To put it simply, he cant utilize his g-sync well in Gw2.

Even if playing with potato settings, it just wont happen.

@"Rash.6514" said:Sorry, I meant to say common gamer monitors. Not just any monitor and not "popular" (which is different than common).

It's been a long time since I last came here and I can see the community is just the same. They rather put me down based on a detail of something I said instead of helping. Good use of your time.

Still not very common. But ok.Well the answer is V-sync.It syncs the FPS to your monitor's refresh rate.

Anyway, good luck getting 120fps in gw2.

• 1 month later...

@crepuscular.9047 said:no way to get 60+ fps for real contents due to CPU bottleneck even when Model Quantity Limit set to Lowestat World Boss I'm getting around 18 fps on 8700K with 1080Ti, Palawadan 20~30 fps

Did you OC your CPU/GPU/RAM? I am getting more or less 30 - 40 fps in Palawadan with all setting set to best appearance (Ultra/highest) with very occasional drop to 28

• 29 FPS.

Currently running CPU 8700K at 5 Ghz, GPU 2100mhz and it's not even 1080TI but just 1080 and RAM at 3400Mhz 14/14/14/34 CR 1. Everything displayed on 4K monitor in res 3440x1440...

@Rash.6514 said:Hey everyone,

I've noticed the game will only allow us to set 30 or 60fps as limits. However, today's modern computers can do more than that. I'm looking to limit the framerate so that my video card doesn't disable G-Sync (when the fps goes above the monitor's max refresh rate). Is it possible to set this fps limit to something like 120 or 144Hz, common maximum monitor refresh rates these days? I was thinking, since we can't do it in the UI, can we do it by editing the configuration file manually? Would this work?

Set frame limits with your driver settings via nvidias control panel and amd setting for radeon and turn to unlimited in gw2 problem solved.Pretty amazed that not a single other commenter has even suggested this. This wont solve issues of one not able to reach it due to hardware limitations in performance area, but this will allow you to set the max you wish to have, rather than a preset of 30 or 60.I know with my radeon settings i can set any number between 30 and 200, this is indeed what i use to limit my frames within gw2. I do as i suggested above with gw2 set to unlimited.Have a nice day.

• Like 2

@amidare.9561 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:no way to get 60+ fps for real contents due to CPU bottleneck even when Model Quantity Limit set to Lowestat World Boss I'm getting around 18 fps on 8700K with 1080Ti, Palawadan 20~30 fps

Did you OC your CPU/GPU/RAM? I am getting more or less 30 - 40 fps in Palawadan with all setting set to best appearance (Ultra/highest) with very occasional drop to 28
  • 29 FPS.

Currently running CPU 8700K at 5 Ghz, GPU 2100mhz and it's not even 1080TI but just 1080 and RAM at 3400Mhz 14/14/14/34 CR 1. Everything displayed on 4K monitor in res 3440x1440...

5GHz on an 8770K...nice. That's why you are getting much better FPS. One thing about the intel chips, they have the pure raw power needed by this game. If you can crank them up in power, they can crank out some nice frames.

Sadly, I have found my Ryzen 1600x still has a few issues...can't get it to OC right...though I haven't tried since the latest BIOS. But, in 4K max settings I still pull 20+ in zergs & world bosses, and up to 60 roaming around the world. I do have Vertical Sync on, otherwise I get horrible tearing. What is really funny, I get the same FPS in 1080, 1440, and 4k...very very odd I think.

A 1600x(stock) gets around 160 Single core score on Cinebench r15, a 5ghz 8700k gets around 220 and that difference matters a huge amount in Gw2.

The difference(or lack of) between the resolutions would come down to your GPU more than CPU. You're bottlenecked hard by something(software).

I get much better FPS with <half the GPU power you both have.

I made this recording in response to another user with an 8700k and 1080Ti claiming to only get 13-18FPS in Frozen Maw once they ice storms kicks in.

• 5 months later...

@Nokomis.5076 said:It was a simple question. In the forums we have enough people crying because GW has no real 4K support and that this would be standard today.. And I'm sitting here, looking at the Steam Hardware Survey which shows, that barely 1% of all Steam users have 4K.

Here's a tip for you. Ignore that survey. They don't track every single machine that has ever used Steam, and the numbers are drastically skewed by the amount of people playing low demanding games on their laptops.

• 7 months later...

@moonstarmac.4603 said:What is really funny, I get the same FPS in 1080, 1440, and 4k...very very odd I think.

That is to be expected if the CPU is the bottleneck. When the resolution rises the CPU usually does not need to do much more, but if the GPU still has some capacity left you can get the same FPS, as long as the CPU is still the limiting factor. The same is true for me, where it doesnt really matter if I play at 1080p or 1440p, as the CPU is at 100% if the fps is not capped due to vsync.