New Weapons — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New Weapons

Is there any thought into creating new weapons for the game? As in Two Hand Axes or Polearms? I don't get why the warrior model is carrying a two hand axe, but isn't implemented in the game.

Comments

  • Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017

    Honestly, I'd settle with Hammer skins that look like two-handed axes at this point because the animations used with Hammers would fit "Greataxes" just as well.

    Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

  • Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, I'm honestly really surprised they didn't add new weapons with this expansion. Huge missed opportunity, and I honestly think it should be among their high priorities for development.

    Here's my list. Some of these skins could be adapted from underwater weapon models.

    Spear (1h)
    Polearm (2h)
    Greataxe (2h)
    Crossbow (1h)
    Glove/Gauntlet (1h)
    Whip (1h)

  • I would rather not have an expansion of it meant devs were creating new weapons and skills.

    To add to above...
    Buckler
    Scythe
    Morningstar
    Flail
    Quarterstaff
    Pike (greatacxe?)
    Crossbow

  • I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

    What they could do is use trope-bending skins more often, as they did in a limited fashion in GW1. The principle is simple: weapons in GW2 are more about channeling magic than actually performing like they do in our world. (Less so for Warrior, more so for light armor classes and even Revenant, Guardian.) Since that's true, it doesn't strictly matter what a hammer looks like: it functions as a focus for hammer magic (pardon the pun).

    Thus, for example, as @Oglaf.1074 says, a Hammer could look like a two-handed axe.

    See also:

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

    What they could do is use trope-bending skins more often, as they did in a limited fashion in GW1. The principle is simple: weapons in GW2 are more about channeling magic than actually performing like they do in our world. (Less so for Warrior, more so for light armor classes and even Revenant, Guardian.) Since that's true, it doesn't strictly matter what a hammer looks like: it functions as a focus for hammer magic (pardon the pun).

    Thus, for example, as @Oglaf.1074 says, a Hammer could look like a two-handed axe.

    See also:

    I think they have created most of the infrastructure that makes it a difficult thing to commit to, which they have the power to change. We need to be (and are) getting new skills anyway, and they don't have to release new weapons with as many skins as old weapons have, nor do they have to create new skins for every single weapon type simultaneously, like they routinely do with black lion skins. I've always thought that was kind of wasteful, uninteresting, and acted as an unnecessary disincentive for introducing new weapon types.

    "It's hard" or "but balance" are just poor excuses to cop out of features they don't want to prioritize for unknown reasons (usually, it's someone in management making bad/shortsighted judgment calls, like not doing a permanent version of season 1). It would freshen up the game almost more than anything else for us to get new weapon types.

    That said, I don't disagree with the point you're making, and that there's no real reason why we shouldn't have more skin flexibility with existing weapons in some cases - for example, making some flail skins for maces, or some different types of bladed weapons for sword and daggers. Greataxes for hammers is stretching it a bit, though, since hammers are bludgeoning and axes are slashing. They should add greataxes and use it as a template for things like Scythes.

  • Jinroh.4251Jinroh.4251 Member ✭✭✭

    Crossbow 1H
    Large Crossbow 2H
    Polearm 2H
    Battleaxe 2H
    Javelin 1H
    Katars/Brass Knuckles 2H (makes you do hand to hand animations)
    Blunderbuss 2H (Short range version of the rifle but obviously with more AOE in mind)
    Those are my picks!

  • They've already added new skills with the elites, they could have used this opportunity to add new weapons, but they didn't.

  • Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Phy.2913 said:
    They've already added new skills with the elites, they could have used this opportunity to add new weapons, but they didn't.

    Correct. And it's a particularly huge letdown since spears are so iconic to the Elona theme - massive missed opportunity. I think it was yet another example of them just making a bad call on what should and shouldn't be a priority (see: LW1, outfits, and dungeon content)

  • Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017

    @Einlanzer.1627 said:

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

    What they could do is use trope-bending skins more often, as they did in a limited fashion in GW1. The principle is simple: weapons in GW2 are more about channeling magic than actually performing like they do in our world. (Less so for Warrior, more so for light armor classes and even Revenant, Guardian.) Since that's true, it doesn't strictly matter what a hammer looks like: it functions as a focus for hammer magic (pardon the pun).

    Thus, for example, as @Oglaf.1074 says, a Hammer could look like a two-handed axe.

    See also:

    I think they have created most of the infrastructure that makes it a difficult thing to commit to, which they have the power to change. We need to be (and are) getting new skills anyway, and they don't have to release new weapons with as many skins as old weapons have, nor do they have to create new skins for every single weapon type simultaneously, like they routinely do with black lion skins. I've always thought that was kind of wasteful, uninteresting, and acted as an unnecessary disincentive for introducing new weapon types.

    "It's hard" or "but balance" are just poor excuses to cop out of features they don't want to prioritize for unknown reasons (usually, it's someone in management making bad/shortsighted judgment calls, like not doing a permanent version of season 1). It would freshen up the game almost more than anything else for us to get new weapon types.

    That said, I don't disagree with the point you're making, and that there's no real reason why we shouldn't have more skin flexibility with existing weapons in some cases - for example, making some flail skins for maces, or some different types of bladed weapons for sword and daggers. Greataxes for hammers is stretching it a bit, though, since hammers are bludgeoning and axes are slashing. They should add greataxes and use it as a template for things like Scythes.

    But the animations are perfect. If you saw, for example, a Warrior swinging a Greataxe around with the Hammer animation set it would not look at all out of place.

    That was my point.

    Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

  • We already have a greataxe in the game (the Executioners Axe toy ) so the mechanics of wielding a greataxe already exist. The 3 of the 5 skills are very similar to the hammer skills so using hammer skills for a greataxe isn't that far fetched

    The barbarian way:
    1. If it moves, kill it!
    2. If is doesn't move, hit it until it moves and then kill it.
    3. If it still doesn't move it must be a rock so smash it!

  • Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭

    I hope, new Weapon Typs will be part of a next Feature Pack or better Expansion, cause that would be definetely the kind of content, for which people woudl buy expansions.
    Its neccessary to add new weapon types and reformatting the current existign ones by removing obsolete weapon types (harpoon gun, trident are 100% obsolete as they can be just merged into Rifle/Staff, while Spear should just get changed to Polearm and work as hybrid weapon both on land as like underwater, this chang step is best done together with an underwater based expansion that leads us for example next to Cantha, that way would have this expansion really great key elements all in one again as a Feature Expansion like HoT to greatly improve GW2 with some totalyl overdue reworks and redesigns of existing gameplay mechanics regardign udnerwater combat ect.)

    Greataxes could easily become a new Weapon Type with own Skills, or coudl even be added just as Hammer Reskins and it would work, but much better woudl be Greataxes with their very own skills, so that the new weapon type provides also new build diversity, what is what a reskin can't do, a reskin will always be only the cheap way out...

    Chain Whips would be also an awesome addition as a new mid range weapon with range between 450 to 750 around and the abilitiy to cleave with each swing to hit multiple foes, like up to 5 or so, therefore that the weapon deals lesser damage than say for example a sword or a greatsword naturally

    Chakrams would be another awesome mid range weapon with the ability to hit foes twice, once on the way to the target and maybe also when returnign to you.

    Claws/Gloves for a more martial artistic combat style would be great as well, but also in the form of magic gloves woudl be nice with that the spellcaster class woudl create orbs of magic in their hands that float then around them

    Crossbows would be the perfect middle thing between a Shortbow and a Rifle and in fact, howeve,r could potentialyl also be just added as reskins for the Shortbow, but that choice as mentioned woudl be lame, cause as a new weapon type like mentioned it coudl add new own skisll and thus more build diversiy

    Long Shields - would be nice to have, as an offensive version of the shield, that is used in the main hand instead of the offhand , GW1 also had two different shields, practically Bucklers and Shields, but in GW2 are Bucklers basically Shields as well, so we'd need as new Weapon Type the Long Shield (also called Tower Shield or Kite Shield, as a gameplay reference for this take Dragons Dogma's Mystic, which uses also shields in mainhand in an offensive way, woudl so suit perfectly for a Mystic Guardian Elite spec ^^)

    New Weapon Types are needed, the Warrior runs already out of Weapon Choices - only the Staff potentially left for another already existign weapon, that makes conceptionally sense for some kind of warriror monkish spec maybe next
    But it woudl be much better, if for the 3rd Set of Elite Specs with the next expansion Anet brings practically for each a new Weapon Category

    3rd Warrior Spec = Greataxe
    3rd Guardian Spec = Polearm or Long Shield
    3rd Revenant Spec = I don't care, cause I'd redesign the whole class anyways, bit if it would be a redesiged Renegade Spec , I'd say Chain Whip or Greataxe
    3rd Ranger Spec = Polearm or Claw/Gloves
    3rd Thief Spec = Chakrams
    3rd Engineer Spec = Chain Whip
    3rd Elementalist Spec = Chakrams or Claw/Gloves
    3rd Necromancer Spec = Chain Whip, Great Axe or Claw/Gloves
    3rd Mesmer Spec = Crossbow


    Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.


  • bart.3687bart.3687 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017

    @Orpheal.8263 said:
    I hope, new Weapon Typs will be part of a next Feature Pack or better Expansion, cause that would be definetely the kind of content, for which people woudl buy expansions.
    Its neccessary to add new weapon types and reformatting the current existign ones by removing obsolete weapon types (harpoon gun, trident are 100% obsolete as they can be just merged into Rifle/Staff, while Spear should just get changed to Polearm and work as hybrid weapon both on land as like underwater, this chang step is best done together with an underwater based expansion that leads us for example next to Cantha, that way would have this expansion really great key elements all in one again as a Feature Expansion like HoT to greatly improve GW2 with some totalyl overdue reworks and redesigns of existing gameplay mechanics regardign udnerwater combat ect.)

    Greataxes could easily become a new Weapon Type with own Skills, or coudl even be added just as Hammer Reskins and it would work, but much better woudl be Greataxes with their very own skills, so that the new weapon type provides also new build diversity, what is what a reskin can't do, a reskin will always be only the cheap way out...

    Chain Whips would be also an awesome addition as a new mid range weapon with range between 450 to 750 around and the abilitiy to cleave with each swing to hit multiple foes, like up to 5 or so, therefore that the weapon deals lesser damage than say for example a sword or a greatsword naturally

    Chakrams would be another awesome mid range weapon with the ability to hit foes twice, once on the way to the target and maybe also when returnign to you.

    Claws/Gloves for a more martial artistic combat style would be great as well, but also in the form of magic gloves woudl be nice with that the spellcaster class woudl create orbs of magic in their hands that float then around them

    Crossbows would be the perfect middle thing between a Shortbow and a Rifle and in fact, howeve,r could potentialyl also be just added as reskins for the Shortbow, but that choice as mentioned woudl be lame, cause as a new weapon type like mentioned it coudl add new own skisll and thus more build diversiy

    Long Shields - would be nice to have, as an offensive version of the shield, that is used in the main hand instead of the offhand , GW1 also had two different shields, practically Bucklers and Shields, but in GW2 are Bucklers basically Shields as well, so we'd need as new Weapon Type the Long Shield (also called Tower Shield or Kite Shield, as a gameplay reference for this take Dragons Dogma's Mystic, which uses also shields in mainhand in an offensive way, woudl so suit perfectly for a Mystic Guardian Elite spec ^^)

    New Weapon Types are needed, the Warrior runs already out of Weapon Choices - only the Staff potentially left for another already existign weapon, that makes conceptionally sense for some kind of warriror monkish spec maybe next
    But it woudl be much better, if for the 3rd Set of Elite Specs with the next expansion Anet brings practically for each a new Weapon Category

    3rd Warrior Spec = Greataxe
    3rd Guardian Spec = Polearm or Long Shield
    3rd Revenant Spec = I don't care, cause I'd redesign the whole class anyways, bit if it would be a redesiged Renegade Spec , I'd say Chain Whip or Greataxe
    3rd Ranger Spec = Polearm or Claw/Gloves
    3rd Thief Spec = Chakrams
    3rd Engineer Spec = Chain Whip
    3rd Elementalist Spec = Chakrams or Claw/Gloves
    3rd Necromancer Spec = Chain Whip, Great Axe or Claw/Gloves

    I really want new weapon types too, and I agree with your ideas, but...

    3rd Mesmer Spec = Crossbow

    triggered :scream: I'm pretty sure you wanted to write Chakram here, but your autocorrect or something changed it into crossbows. I want chakrams for mesmer so badly that I'd die if they gave it to other professions but not to mes.

    Being pure badness since 2012.

  • If they aren't going to add new weapons they could at least make some of the underwater weapons usable as terrestrial weapons. 2h spears, Tridents, and spearguns are already there and underutilized with plenty of ready-made skins.

  • Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017

    LOL, could naturally make also instead Chakrams for Mesmer, but I d myself a hard time to give any of the classes a Crossbow, because of my own bias lol
    I just like Chakrams and Chain Whip much more, but I also wanted to give at least 1 Spec a crossbow, so I ended up with the Mesmer in case Anet would really give each single 3rd Spec a new weapon and not again just a rehashed already existing one xD

    However, if Anet would't give all of them a new weapon, but only a select few of them, while a few others receive already existing weapons as new additions, then I'd be personally also super fine with Mesmers getting the Shortbow instead for a Bard Elite Spec :3 That would make me very happy as well ^^ Just saying.


    Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.


©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.