New Weapons

Torque.6023

Yeah, I'm honestly really surprised they didn't add new weapons with this expansion. Huge missed opportunity, and I honestly think it should be among their high priorities for development.

Here's my list. Some of these skins could be adapted from underwater weapon models.

Spear (1h)Polearm (2h)Greataxe (2h)Crossbow (1h)Glove/Gauntlet (1h)Whip (1h)

I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

What they could do is use trope-bending skins more often, as they did in a limited fashion in GW1. The principle is simple: weapons in GW2 are more about channeling magic than actually performing like they do in our world. (Less so for Warrior, more so for light armor classes and even Revenant, Guardian.) Since that's true, it doesn't strictly matter what a hammer looks like: it functions as a focus for hammer magic (pardon the pun).

Thus, for example, as @"Oglaf.1074" says, a Hammer could look like a two-handed axe.

See also:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

What they could do is use trope-bending skins more often, as they did in a limited fashion in GW1. The principle is simple: weapons in GW2 are more about channeling magic than actually performing like they do in our world. (Less so for Warrior, more so for light armor classes and even Revenant, Guardian.) Since that's true, it doesn't strictly matter what a hammer looks like: it functions as a focus for hammer magic (pardon the pun).

Thus, for example, as @"Oglaf.1074" says, a Hammer could look like a two-handed axe.

See also:

I think they have created most of the infrastructure that makes it a difficult thing to commit to, which they have the power to change. We need to be (and are) getting new skills anyway, and they don't have to release new weapons with as many skins as old weapons have, nor do they have to create new skins for every single weapon type simultaneously, like they routinely do with black lion skins. I've always thought that was kind of wasteful, uninteresting, and acted as an unnecessary disincentive for introducing new weapon types.

"It's hard" or "but balance" are just poor excuses to cop out of features they don't want to prioritize for unknown reasons (usually, it's someone in management making bad/shortsighted judgment calls, like not doing a permanent version of season 1). It would freshen up the game almost more than anything else for us to get new weapon types.

That said, I don't disagree with the point you're making, and that there's no real reason why we shouldn't have more skin flexibility with existing weapons in some cases - for example, making some flail skins for maces, or some different types of bladed weapons for sword and daggers. Greataxes for hammers is stretching it a bit, though, since hammers are bludgeoning and axes are slashing. They should add greataxes and use it as a template for things like Scythes.

@Phy.2913 said:They've already added new skills with the elites, they could have used this opportunity to add new weapons, but they didn't.

Correct. And it's a particularly huge letdown since spears are so iconic to the Elona theme - massive missed opportunity. I think it was yet another example of them just making a bad call on what should and shouldn't be a priority (see: LW1, outfits, and dungeon content)

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm sure they have thought of it many times and rejected it each time. There are lots of extraneous costs to adding even just one new weapon: new skins, new animations, and a whole lot of new steps to balancing skills/traits/builds/synergies.

See also:

I think they have created most of the infrastructure that makes it a difficult thing to commit to, which they have the power to change. We need to be (and are) getting new skills anyway, and they don't have to release new weapons with as many skins as old weapons have, nor do they have to create new skins for every single weapon type simultaneously, like they routinely do with black lion skins. I've always thought that was kind of wasteful, uninteresting, and acted as an unnecessary disincentive for introducing new weapon types.

"It's hard" or "but balance" are just poor excuses to cop out of features they don't want to prioritize for unknown reasons (usually, it's someone in management making bad/shortsighted judgment calls, like not doing a permanent version of season 1). It would freshen up the game almost more than anything else for us to get new weapon types.

That said, I don't disagree with the point you're making, and that there's no real reason why we shouldn't have more skin flexibility with existing weapons in some cases - for example, making some flail skins for maces, or some different types of bladed weapons for sword and daggers. Greataxes for hammers is stretching it a bit, though, since hammers are bludgeoning and axes are slashing. They should add greataxes and use it as a template for things like Scythes.

But the animations are perfect. If you saw, for example, a Warrior swinging a Greataxe around with the Hammer animation set it would not look at all out of place.

That was my point.

• 1 month later...

I hope, new Weapon Typs will be part of a next Feature Pack or better Expansion, cause that would be definetely the kind of content, for which people woudl buy expansions.Its neccessary to add new weapon types and reformatting the current existign ones by removing obsolete weapon types (harpoon gun, trident are 100% obsolete as they can be just merged into Rifle/Staff, while Spear should just get changed to Polearm and work as hybrid weapon both on land as like underwater, this chang step is best done together with an underwater based expansion that leads us for example next to Cantha, that way would have this expansion really great key elements all in one again as a Feature Expansion like HoT to greatly improve GW2 with some totalyl overdue reworks and redesigns of existing gameplay mechanics regardign udnerwater combat ect.)

Greataxes could easily become a new Weapon Type with own Skills, or coudl even be added just as Hammer Reskins and it would work, but much better woudl be Greataxes with their very own skills, so that the new weapon type provides also new build diversity, what is what a reskin can't do, a reskin will always be only the cheap way out...

Chain Whips would be also an awesome addition as a new mid range weapon with range between 450 to 750 around and the abilitiy to cleave with each swing to hit multiple foes, like up to 5 or so, therefore that the weapon deals lesser damage than say for example a sword or a greatsword naturally

Chakrams would be another awesome mid range weapon with the ability to hit foes twice, once on the way to the target and maybe also when returnign to you.

Claws/Gloves for a more martial artistic combat style would be great as well, but also in the form of magic gloves woudl be nice with that the spellcaster class woudl create orbs of magic in their hands that float then around them

Crossbows would be the perfect middle thing between a Shortbow and a Rifle and in fact, howeve,r could potentialyl also be just added as reskins for the Shortbow, but that choice as mentioned woudl be lame, cause as a new weapon type like mentioned it coudl add new own skisll and thus more build diversiy

Long Shields - would be nice to have, as an offensive version of the shield, that is used in the main hand instead of the offhand , GW1 also had two different shields, practically Bucklers and Shields, but in GW2 are Bucklers basically Shields as well, so we'd need as new Weapon Type the Long Shield (also called Tower Shield or Kite Shield, as a gameplay reference for this take Dragons Dogma's Mystic, which uses also shields in mainhand in an offensive way, woudl so suit perfectly for a Mystic Guardian Elite spec ^^)

New Weapon Types are needed, the Warrior runs already out of Weapon Choices - only the Staff potentially left for another already existign weapon, that makes conceptionally sense for some kind of warriror monkish spec maybe nextBut it woudl be much better, if for the 3rd Set of Elite Specs with the next expansion Anet brings practically for each a new Weapon Category

3rd Warrior Spec = Greataxe3rd Guardian Spec = Polearm or Long Shield3rd Revenant Spec = I don't care, cause I'd redesign the whole class anyways, bit if it would be a redesiged Renegade Spec , I'd say Chain Whip or Greataxe3rd Ranger Spec = Polearm or Claw/Gloves3rd Thief Spec = Chakrams3rd Engineer Spec = Chain Whip3rd Elementalist Spec = Chakrams or Claw/Gloves3rd Necromancer Spec = Chain Whip, Great Axe or Claw/Gloves3rd Mesmer Spec = Crossbow

@Orpheal.8263 said:I hope, new Weapon Typs will be part of a next Feature Pack or better Expansion, cause that would be definetely the kind of content, for which people woudl buy expansions.Its neccessary to add new weapon types and reformatting the current existign ones by removing obsolete weapon types (harpoon gun, trident are 100% obsolete as they can be just merged into Rifle/Staff, while Spear should just get changed to Polearm and work as hybrid weapon both on land as like underwater, this chang step is best done together with an underwater based expansion that leads us for example next to Cantha, that way would have this expansion really great key elements all in one again as a Feature Expansion like HoT to greatly improve GW2 with some totalyl overdue reworks and redesigns of existing gameplay mechanics regardign udnerwater combat ect.)

Greataxes could easily become a new Weapon Type with own Skills, or coudl even be added just as Hammer Reskins and it would work, but much better woudl be Greataxes with their very own skills, so that the new weapon type provides also new build diversity, what is what a reskin can't do, a reskin will always be only the cheap way out...

Chain Whips would be also an awesome addition as a new mid range weapon with range between 450 to 750 around and the abilitiy to cleave with each swing to hit multiple foes, like up to 5 or so, therefore that the weapon deals lesser damage than say for example a sword or a greatsword naturally

Chakrams would be another awesome mid range weapon with the ability to hit foes twice, once on the way to the target and maybe also when returnign to you.

Claws/Gloves for a more martial artistic combat style would be great as well, but also in the form of magic gloves woudl be nice with that the spellcaster class woudl create orbs of magic in their hands that float then around them

Crossbows would be the perfect middle thing between a Shortbow and a Rifle and in fact, howeve,r could potentialyl also be just added as reskins for the Shortbow, but that choice as mentioned woudl be lame, cause as a new weapon type like mentioned it coudl add new own skisll and thus more build diversiy

Long Shields - would be nice to have, as an offensive version of the shield, that is used in the main hand instead of the offhand , GW1 also had two different shields, practically Bucklers and Shields, but in GW2 are Bucklers basically Shields as well, so we'd need as new Weapon Type the Long Shield (also called Tower Shield or Kite Shield, as a gameplay reference for this take Dragons Dogma's Mystic, which uses also shields in mainhand in an offensive way, woudl so suit perfectly for a Mystic Guardian Elite spec ^^)

New Weapon Types are needed, the Warrior runs already out of Weapon Choices - only the Staff potentially left for another already existign weapon, that makes conceptionally sense for some kind of warriror monkish spec maybe nextBut it woudl be much better, if for the 3rd Set of Elite Specs with the next expansion Anet brings practically for each a new Weapon Category

3rd Warrior Spec = Greataxe3rd Guardian Spec = Polearm or Long Shield3rd Revenant Spec = I don't care, cause I'd redesign the whole class anyways, bit if it would be a redesiged Renegade Spec , I'd say Chain Whip or Greataxe3rd Ranger Spec = Polearm or Claw/Gloves3rd Thief Spec = Chakrams3rd Engineer Spec = Chain Whip3rd Elementalist Spec = Chakrams or Claw/Gloves3rd Necromancer Spec = Chain Whip, Great Axe or Claw/Gloves

I really want new weapon types too, and I agree with your ideas, but...

3rd Mesmer Spec = Crossbow

triggered :scream: I'm pretty sure you wanted to write Chakram here, but your autocorrect or something changed it into crossbows. I want chakrams for mesmer so badly that I'd die if they gave it to other professions but not to mes.

LOL, could naturally make also instead Chakrams for Mesmer, but I d myself a hard time to give any of the classes a Crossbow, because of my own bias lolI just like Chakrams and Chain Whip much more, but I also wanted to give at least 1 Spec a crossbow, so I ended up with the Mesmer in case Anet would really give each single 3rd Spec a new weapon and not again just a rehashed already existing one xD

However, if Anet would't give all of them a new weapon, but only a select few of them, while a few others receive already existing weapons as new additions, then I'd be personally also super fine with Mesmers getting the Shortbow instead for a Bard Elite Spec :3 That would make me very happy as well ^^ Just saying.

Archived