Can you give someone a Legendary Weapon? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Can you give someone a Legendary Weapon?

Might be a stupid question, but I heard some horror stories that players got banned for sending Legendaries to others (because they were suspected of selling Gold/Items for real money or something). These might be completely untrue, like I said it's just stories I picked up on in map chat and the like.

Thing is my little sister recently started playing GW2 and her favourite class is Ranger with the cute pets and stuff. :)
I gathered all the components for making Kudzu, since she is very very far away from being able to build it herself.

So I was wondering if I can craft it and send it to her or if that's not o.k.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

  • Faaris.8013Faaris.8013 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018

    Anet's rules about wealth transfer can be found here:

    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230430967-Wealth-Transfer-Restrictions-Mail-Guild-Bank-

    The limit for gold is 500 per week. They are not talking about items though. If you send a legendary weapon worth 3k gold to your sister's account, my guess is that you could easily explain what kind of transfer it was. As long as your sister doesn't use an IP address from another country, but you are both on the same network when doing the transfer. In case that transfer triggers an alarm, they would see that the receiving account had the same IP address as the sending account.

    I sent lots of stuff to my wife's account, probably items worth more than 500 gold per week, and nobody ever cared.

  • mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

    False positives (legitimate players being banned for gifting items to friends) are VERY, VERY RARE. Plus, even if it did happen to a legitimate player, on appeal they would get their account back.

    Basically, feel free to gift your sister the legendary (I myself have been the recipient of a legendary as a gift before).

  • Short story: great idea gifting an expensive item to your sister. There's no issue doing so.
    In the very, very unlikely event something happens, just explain to ANet what's going on.

    @Charlie.1726 said:
    I heard some horror stories that players got banned for sending Legendaries to others

    There are almost no actual examples of someone getting banned for selling legendaries (or pretty much anything else) to others. Once in a while, ANet mistakenly identifies a legit off-the-TP trade as laundering RMT (Real Money Trading) and suspends someone, but those can get cleared up with an appeal to Support.

    These might be completely untrue, like I said it's just stories I picked up on in map chat and the like.

    Occasionally people appeal to the public (via Reddit or the forums) instead of to Support, claiming that ANet mistreated them. Nearly all the time, upon investigation, it turns out there was good reason for ANet's response.

    In other words, it's just stories. The number of actual cases is far, far smaller than critics would have us believe.

    Thing is my little sister recently started playing GW2 and her favourite class is Ranger with the cute pets and stuff. :)
    I gathered all the components for making Kudzu, since she is very very far away from being able to build it herself.

    So I was wondering if I can craft it and send it to her or if that's not o.k.

    Perfectly OK.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I know someone who gifted a legendary to a friend. To be specific it was a group effort - lots of us contributed materials/gold and one person volunteered to provide the Gift of Battle and Gift of Exploration and to actually craft it, then we all got together in-game and she mailed it to him. No one was banned as a result of that.

    I've heard it helps to include a message when you send it which makes it clear what the situation is. Even just something like "Surprise! I made you a legendary!" then take a screenshot when you send it so if you do get suspended you can use it as proof that it was innocent.

    But in general I think if it's a one-off it'd be fine. If you make a habit of making legendaries and sending them to friends you might get in trouble, but I assume that's not likely to happen.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Short story: great idea gifting an expensive item to your sister. There's no issue doing so.
    In the very, very unlikely event something happens, just explain to ANet what's going on.

    @Charlie.1726 said:
    I heard some horror stories that players got banned for sending Legendaries to others

    There are almost no actual examples of someone getting banned for selling legendaries (or pretty much anything else) to others. Once in a while, ANet mistakenly identifies a legit off-the-TP trade as laundering RMT (Real Money Trading) and suspends someone, but those can get cleared up with an appeal to Support.

    These might be completely untrue, like I said it's just stories I picked up on in map chat and the like.

    Occasionally people appeal to the public (via Reddit or the forums) instead of to Support, claiming that ANet mistreated them. Nearly all the time, upon investigation, it turns out there was good reason for ANet's response.

    In other words, it's just stories. The number of actual cases is far, far smaller than critics would have us believe.

    Thing is my little sister recently started playing GW2 and her favourite class is Ranger with the cute pets and stuff. :)
    I gathered all the components for making Kudzu, since she is very very far away from being able to build it herself.

    So I was wondering if I can craft it and send it to her or if that's not o.k.

    Perfectly OK.

    There is also the issue of someone buying gold from a RMT then using that gold to buy the item that was then sent to another person. The final recipient of the item isn't necessarily aware of the RMT involved but that can be hard to determine.

    @Faaris.8013 said:
    Anet's rules about wealth transfer can be found here:

    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230430967-Wealth-Transfer-Restrictions-Mail-Guild-Bank-

    The limit for gold is 500 per week. They are not talking about items though. If you send a legendary weapon worth 3k gold to your sister's account, my guess is that you could easily explain what kind of transfer it was. As long as your sister doesn't use an IP address from another country, but you are both on the same network when doing the transfer. In case that transfer triggers an alarm, they would see that the receiving account had the same IP address as the sending account.

    I sent lots of stuff to my wife's account, probably items worth more than 500 gold per week, and nobody ever cared.

    We have had at least half a dozen legendaries being mailed around between members of the guild and the locations of the people around literally spans the globe. We have not had any issue from that.

    Additionally take a look at https://gw2efficiency.com/community/lottery consider the value of all the stuff(conveniently included on the bottom) that the two people running that has mailed around.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I sent my husband the Bifrost as a gift several years ago. I stated as such in the body of the mail. Never got banned or suspended for anything, so I guess as long as you’re transparent in the mailing and haven’t RMT’d gold to either buy one, or your giftee hasn’t RMT’d for gold, you’re golden ;)
    Anet will know how you/giftee got that gold. So as long as it’s legit, there shouldn’t be any issues.
    Only trade with people you trust.

    The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

  • Thanks for the infos guys. =) I sent it to her, she loves it and I'm not banned (yet).

  • silver moon.3742silver moon.3742 Member
    edited June 24, 2018

    I do not know why, I have 2 accounts sent gold and something different
    account and my main account closed by ANet.
    they say I make RMT, but that is wrong.
    they can see that both my account has the same ip number
    tickets created 2 weeks but no answer yet.

  • I would be very careful with sending anything to anyone on this game, even if it's to a friend. I am terrible at making gold, but my friend had played MMO's for years and knows a thing or two about farming gold, and so he made me a deal that if I washed his car, he'd hit me up with a few hundred gold in return. Long story short, I washed his car, got the gold, and the next day, Arena Net removed the gold from my account - labelling it, suspicious. They didn't explain how it was suspicious, they just said it was suspicious. My friend was very annoyed by this, and so he sent some more gold to me to replace the confiscated gold, and in less than 24 hours... Arena Net removed that gold from my account as well, and said something like, "this is my second strike, if this happens again, you will face punishment and or a possible ban." We assumed I was put on some kind of blacklist, and so after that, we both quit the game. I never bought gold, and yet, I was punished for it nonetheless. The system is broken and unfair.

  • If you happen to have a spare legendary, you could always send it to me. In return, you would have my appreciation and an offer to map chat "Praise Charlie.1726" in the next five maps I go to. ;)

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You have to consider that all Anet sees when someone buys gold illegally is that suddenly they've got a lot of extra gold mailed to them by another player. There is no way to tell from their end if they bought it or if it was a gift or earned in some other way.

    What seems to help (based on my experience with sending and receiving gold and valuable items, and friends who have done it) is clearly stating in the mail when you send the gold/legendary/whatever else what it's for. For example "I didn't think you'd actually do it, but since you washed my car here's the gold I promised you" or "I saw on the forum you were working on Nevermore but you're really struggling with Mystic Coins. I never use them so here's some to go towards your legendary."

    If possible discussing it in-game beforehand can help too. And then keep the mail or keep a note of when and what channel it was. (e.g. We talked about it at 5pm GMT in TTGL guild chat.) so if you do get banned you can reference that in your ticket as evidence you didn't do anything wrong.

    It might still be a case of being banned or having the gold removed and then having to contact Support to get it sorted, but it's better than just being banned.

    (Also make sure the person sending you gold/items didn't buy it illegally, because then there will be nothing either of you can do.)

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.