Stop complaining about Mirage. Play it instead.

MikeL.8260

I was getting really tired of all those Threads appearing in the forums about how broken or op Mirage is so.. Instead of complaining about how overpowered Mesmer is why don't you play one yourself?Go on, give it a shot and then come back here and share with everyone your expiriences about how powerful you felt and how easily you carried your team by just smashing buttons on the keyboard, how omnipresent you were with your epic portal plays, how a random Deadeye one shot you or when a Druid forced you out of a base, when an FB kept restoring all your dmg and clearing your condis, when a Holo one shot you (from stealth), when a better mesmer kicked your puny ass to the ground for trying to touch him, when a Warrior wasn't taking any dmg from your bursts, when a Scourge kept overchoking you with condis - along with your team - mercilessly, when an Ele one shot you and the list goes on.

Do you see the pattern? and in conjunction what I'm implying? If you miss the point please don't start a flame war.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I did and it's 100x easier now! Of course, when you go from one of the underdog profession to a top dog profession that's to be expected. As long as you weren't a Condi mirage, scourge, or druid main last season I bet that you'll have an easier time if you swap to power mirage this season. :)

If you swap from holosmith then the experience will probably seem to be not so different though.

@pah.4931 said:So is your thesis: Mesmer is not more powerful than most other professions currently?

Or is it: Mesmer is OP but not easy to play?

Both, more or less and my first question still stands; why doesn't everyone play Mesmer since it's such a godly profession? It's all about the PvP ladder no? Every thread I read makes Mirages sounds like impenetrable fortresses that make Alcatraz seem like a matchbox... without the wraping - or the matches.

@MikeL.8260 said:

@pah.4931 said:So is your thesis: Mesmer is not more powerful than most other professions currently?

Both, more or less and my first question still stands; why doesn't everyone play Mesmer since it's such a godly profession? It's all about the PvP ladder no? Every thread I read makes Mirages sounds like impenetrable fortresses that make Alcatraz seem like a matchbox... without the wraping - or the matches.

Um nobody is saying Mesmer is unkillable or perfect. It's more that power mesmers take d/p thief and multiply the steal backstab burst damage by like 2 or 3. Stealth > GS2 > Jaunt > Mind Wrack is brain dead.

@MikeL.8260 said:

Some people don't want to keep switching to the op profession of the patch and just want theirs to be able to compete. The people who have gotten tired of the constant uphill battle do switch, though.

@MikeL.8260 said:

@"pah.4931" said:So is your thesis: Mesmer is not more powerful than most other professions currently?

Both, more or less and my first question still stands; why doesn't everyone play Mesmer since it's such a godly profession? It's all about the PvP ladder no? Every thread I read makes Mirages sounds like impenetrable forces that make Alcatraz seem like a matchbox... without the wraping - or the matches.

I think its because people WANT to play what they enjoy, other than "chasing the meta" ... usually the reason people complain about balance or whinge for nerfs is not because other classes are so ungodly OP. It's because other classes and--more broadly, "design philosophies"--make it really hard to play as the profession they WANT.

My example would be Power Reaper. I would really LOVE to play a GS Power Reaper in sPvP but not only does it hurt real real bad for me, it screws over 4 random people in the queue who were placed on my team. This, in my opinion, is bad design. And this is USUALLY what is happening behind all the complaining. People either 1) want their class to be OP (I don't like these people... they are the folks who trade all the best players onto one team when playing Madden and then destroy the computer and actually enjoy it)... Or 2) they want to be able to play the class they like without feeling weak and pathetic and like the are ruining everyone's fun. That is what balance TRULY means.

If you can't beat 'em, complain on the forums about 'em. ;)

Maybe it's just me but for some reason I fairly doupt that it's anything other than "ladder pressure" in ranked speaking when someone comes here and complains about how op a profession is. I'm refering to those people which no doupt are the majority of the whiners or even the absoluteness.

@"MikeL.8260" said:Maybe it's just me but for some reason I fairly doupt that it's anything other than "ladder pressure" in ranked speaking when someone comes here and complains about how op a profession is. I'm refering to those people which no doupt are the majority of the whiners or even the absoluteness.

Or maybe it's because you're a mesmer main who likes having the advantage and you're being defensive. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

People who main the top profession of the month always bring out the 'git gud' and 'low tier whining' lingo.

@Kako.1930 said:

@"MikeL.8260" said:Maybe it's just me but for some reason I fairly doupt that it's anything other than "ladder pressure" in ranked speaking when someone comes here and complains about how op a profession is. I'm refering to those people which no doupt are the majority of the whiners or even the absoluteness.

Or maybe it's because you're a mesmer main who likes having the advantage and you're being defensive. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

People who main the top profession of the month always bring out the 'git gud' and 'low tier whining' lingo.

You are too shallow. I'm not. I never changed my class since the day I picked the game up and fun is always at the top of my list. Even when Mesmer was at it's worse I never came here just to complain and whine about it which by the way in case you haven't realized is what tires me, that mentality that players have, first it was Scourge and SB now it's Mirage and no doupt next month will be another.

@MikeL.8260 said:

@MikeL.8260 said:Maybe it's just me but for some reason I fairly doupt that it's anything other than "ladder pressure" in ranked speaking when someone comes here and complains about how op a profession is. I'm refering to those people which no doupt are the majority of the whiners or even the absoluteness.

You are too shallow. I'm not. I never changed my class since the day I picked the game up and fun is always at the top of my list. Even when Mesmer was at it's worse I never came here just to complain and whine about it which by the way in case you haven't realized is what tires me, that mentality that players have, first it was Scourge and SB now it's Mirage and no doupt next month will be another.

That's because there are issues. If there weren't issues then people would probably all be complaining about different things. The fact that several strangers agree on the same things while the only ones who don't are the ones who main the problematic profession shows that something isn't right.

Here's a better question back to you, OP. As someone who does not play Mesmer. What are their main weaknesses and their worst match-ups?

They SEEM to be good at a lot of things, from an outsiders perspective. Very high mobility, very high damage, a lot of evade / stealth, dodge breaks stuns and doesn't interrupt abilities... not to mention one of the most annoying downed #2 skills.

There are other powerful classes, but that can't be your reason for people to get frustrated with a profession that was designed since 2015 to be annoying as poop in PvP that now has TONS of damage on top of that.

@Kako.1930 said:

@MikeL.8260 said:Maybe it's just me but for some reason I fairly doupt that it's anything other than "ladder pressure" in ranked speaking when someone comes here and complains about how op a profession is. I'm refering to those people which no doupt are the majority of the whiners or even the absoluteness.

That's because there are issues. If there weren't issues then people would probably all be complaining about different things. The fact that several strangers agree on the same things while the only ones who don't are the ones who main the problematic profession shows that something isn't right.

There are no issues, expecting something (anything) to be perfect is a mistake. Players create the issues with that mentality and to some degree denial.

@pah.4931 said:Here's a better question back to you, OP. As someone who does not play Mesmer. What are their main weaknesses and their worst match-ups?

They SEEM to be good at a lot of things, from an outsiders perspective. Very high mobility, very high damage, a lot of evade / stealth, dodge breaks stuns and doesn't interrupt abilities... not to mention one of the most annoying downed #2 skills.

That's not the point of the thread but even if it was I mentioned some.

@MikeL.8260 said:

There are no issues, expecting something (anything) to be perfect is a mistake. Players create the issues with that mentality and to some degree denial.

Well it's ironic that you should mention denial, but either way, I just would like to see a season where all professions are relevant and nobody is threatening to afk if their teammates don't switch to something more op, or where one profession isn't completely dominating to the point where it's normal to see 4+ in every match. I don't see my main as my darling baby that shouldn't ever be nerfed for any reason and i enjoy being able to multiclass. But hey, to each his own...

@Kako.1930 said:

Well it's ironic that you should mention denial

Guess I should have had specified it; denial when you don't recognize your own shortcomings and blame everything on the next "op" thing.

@MikeL.8260 said:

Well it's ironic that you should mention denial

Guess I should have had specified it; denial when you don't recognize your own shortcomings and blame everything on the next "op" thing.

Are you trolling or do you believe that necros were completely balanced with, say, revenants last season and anyone who said otherwise just didn't realize their 'shortcomings.' I adapt each season and consider everyone's feedback. Sometimes it is just a skill issue, and sometimes people have a point.

If you take some time to think about it you might discover these points too...

@MikeL.8260 said:

@pah.4931 said:Here's a better question back to you, OP. As someone who does not play Mesmer. What are their main weaknesses and their worst match-ups?

That's not the point of the thread but even if it was I mentioned some.

The point of this thread is NOT meaningful discussion? My bad!

Also, sarcastically pointing out other bust builds is not really pointing out current weakness of Power Mirage. I mean, shoot, you mentioned Deadeye in your rant... not a single person is complaining about Deadeye being too OP. You kind of shot yourself in the foot there. So... maybe it's not JUST high damage that people have a problem with when it comes to Mesmer? MAYBE???

Archived