Armor for doing open world PvE like Story Completion?

Dabrixmgp.4758

So Im lvl 73 on my Guardian and already have 240 HPs so will be able to unlock Dragon Hunter right away. Gonna run GS and Scepter/Torch. Starting to think ahead a little and wanna start with HoT story and then progress in order since I have already done LWS 2. What gear should I use on him though? I only have a few random Ascended Trinkets from Laurels and an Ascended Greatsword I got from Tequatl, so nothing special. Think I have 2 celestial rings, a celestial accessory, and a Berserker Amulet. Everything else will be Exotic. When I pulled up the Reddit open world build post it says full Berserker but is that wise for someone who doesnt really know the class? Also doesnt Guardian have the same HP as like a level 50 Warrior?

Since you already have a few Celestial trinkets, I would continue down that road and combine them with Berserker armor and weapons. This is a classic combination to give you high damage without dying in a few hits from low base health. This is because Celestial does not lower the crit damage of your Berserker gear very much compared to combinations like Berserker+Knight's, but still offers some Toughness, Vitality, and Healing Power.

Dragonhunter shouldn't have any trouble in HoT, their longbow is powerful and they can use traps to nuke anything that gets too close. EDIT: Scepter/torch doesn't sound like a good idea if you want to survive--CC is important against new mobs.

In the long term most Dragonhunters end up running Marauder gear. Its a four-stat variation on Berserker that adds Vitality, so its good for low health classes like Guardian, Elementalist and Thief. You can craft it from karma recipes, and select it on LS3 ascended trinkets.

Remember that you can also change the stats on your ascended GS using the Mystic Forge.

As a person that plays guard since launch, idk what Hannelore is talking about, Scepter is as good if not better cc-wise than longbow.And marauders?I'd advise Valkyrie armor, or soldiers.

Valkirie with DH is pretty much perfect, if you combine with berzerker trinkets and weapons. Why? Because you don't need more than 30% crit chance with a Guardian.After that you're just wasting stats on precision, as long as you take Radiance trait line (basically all downs). That plus greatsword means you have plenty retaliation which is an extra 50% crit chance, that plus fury (from Procession of Blades, for pure solo play you can also run "save yourselves" for an extra source) plus your base 30% = guaranteed 100% crit chance.Since Valkyrie is Berzerker's with precision swaped for vitality, you don't lose on the other stats that are important for your damage output (Power and ferocity), and gain some extra HP.

Valkyrie is also pretty much Raid Ready, even with exotics, as long as you know your stuff.

The other alternative is soldiers gear. Which is awesome for survivability, but will come at a huge cost with damage. I soloed a lot of HoT with Soldier's gear, before switching to more DPS-y stats.

Also, yes, Guardians, along with Eles and thieves have the lowest baseline health of the game, while Warriors have one of the highest, which is why it seems like You have the HP of a lvl 50 warr.You're still plenty hard to kill, because massive heals, aegis, and other cool tricks that will allow you to not die that easily.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:As a person that plays guard since launch, idk what Hannelore is talking about, Scepter is as good if not better cc-wise than longbow.And marauders?I'd advise Valkyrie armor, or soldiers.

Valkirie with DH is pretty much perfect, if you combine with berzerker trinkets and weapons. Why? Because you don't need more than 30% crit chance with a Guardian.After that you're just wasting stats on precision, as long as you take Radiance trait line (basically all downs). That plus greatsword means you have plenty retaliation which is an extra 50% crit chance, that plus fury (from Procession of Blades, for pure solo play you can also run "save yourselves" for an extra source) plus your base 30% = guaranteed 100% crit chance.Since Valkyrie is Berzerker's with precision swaped for vitality, you don't lose on the other stats that are important for your damage output (Power and ferocity), and gain some extra HP.

Valkyrie is also pretty much Raid Ready, even with exotics, as long as you know your stuff.

The other alternative is soldiers gear. Which is awesome for survivability, but will come at a huge cost with damage. I soloed a lot of HoT with Soldier's gear, before switching to more DPS-y stats.

Also, yes, Guardians, along with Eles and thieves have the lowest baseline health of the game, while Warriors have one of the highest, which is why it seems like You have the HP of a lvl 50 warr.You're still plenty hard to kill, because massive heals, aegis, and other cool tricks that will allow you to not die that easily.

Scepter only has immobilise, and the projectiles often missing moving targets. Longbow projectiles have more range, bounce and cripple and #3 blinds and will knockback (Heavy Light) with cripple and vulnerability (Dulled Senses) and #5 has wide-area cripple and warding.

The only benefit scepter has over longbow is might stacking, which is not needed as traps stack 25 might instantly with Dragonhunter's runes.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:As a person that plays guard since launch, idk what Hannelore is talking about, Scepter is as good if not better cc-wise than longbow.And marauders?I'd advise Valkyrie armor, or soldiers.

Scepter only has immobilise, and the projectiles often missing moving targets. Longbow projectiles have more range, bounce and cripple and #3 blinds and will knockback (Heavy Light) with cripple and vulnerability (Dulled Senses) and #5 has wide-area cripple and warding.

The only benefit scepter has over longbow is might stacking, which is not needed as traps stack 25 might instantly with Dragonhunter's runes.

The other benefit is that it has a symbol, which with Symbolic avenger makes it that much stronger (if he's using zeal/Radiance/DH trait lines).As for CCs, well the longbow has a skill-shot blind, which is as easy to miss as to hit, especially when you're moving, a couple of it's skills also root you for their cast, which in a lot of situations can be lethal.For that same skill to knockback you have to forfeit 10% of your DPS (Trading Big game hunter for Heavy Light), and you have to lose a better CC (The slow on traps), and crap out your rotations by trading Piercing Light for Dulled senses.So for the benefit of having knock-back, and cripple + vuln if you hit a single skillshot on bow, you're trading a 10% damage increase (for all your skills) and vuln pulses on tethered enemies, plus a slow on traps (which you have more than one), and a lower cooldown on traps. And mind you traps are pretty much the best damage source for guardian.Then you have the #5 (Hunter's Ward), which actually a nice skill, except it has a big ass cast, and activation time. So if you don't lead it you'll miss it entirely, plus it has a huge cooldown. With trap traits and a scepter, you can pop your procession of blades, lead the target in it, immob, drop the symbol on it, and get a top of damage.

Not to mention that scepter allows for a more flexible build because he can swap the torch for a shield or a focus if he needs more survivability and support.

Hey don't get me wrong. I like playing longbow on DH, but the scepter, especially since they retuned the symbols is as good if not a better choice. And since he already has chosen to use scepter, there's no point in leading him otherwise. Not to mention, that if he decides to pick firebrand instead he won't be left out with no ranged options because he can't use longbow with FB.

Power builds usually give up alot of damage if you drop any of the berserker stats. Condi builds can usually take some defensive stats without losing as much damage. For affordable gear, try a condi build with condi damage with vit+toughness or Condi+precision + defensive stat. Trailblazer has a perfect damage+defense combo for condi if you want some defense instead of a glass build imo but it will cost you an arm and a leg, and more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Knights armor with Zerker weapons and non armor pieces, I don't recommend anything with vitality since our hit points are flimsy any way how ever we have access to a lot of protection and active defense so if you need a bit of survivability in the open world some toughness goes along way. Eventually I plan on going completely Zerker after I become more proficient.

Archived